Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #2641
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
I put Leather Pro's saddlebags on mine; they are larger than just about any thing I've seen on a Sportster, but I want to actually carry stuff.

Yeah, when I want to GO places and carry stuff, this is what I use...

Talk about a pack mule! With the pillion seat removed I have a flat platform in front of the top box that will easily hold a tent and sleeping pad in a dry bag, and a sleeping bag in a waterproof compression bag.

My Sporty is more of my local, pretty day bike. Don't really "need" to carry much on it but it's nice to have a place for a few small items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
Next thing may be a solo seat and luggage rack, but all the racks I can find look they were designed to carry maybe a beach towel and a sandwich.

Have you looked into the Ventura line of racks and packs? I've seen guys use the rack with the pack mounted on the front to form a backrest.

Just an idea...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #2642
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of Ventura.

You got me on the carrying stuff; regrettably the Sportster is my only bike at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, so I'm having to make it as much of a do-it-all bike as I can. If I still had my old R100R airhead the 1200R would be stripped down, the way God intended.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #2643
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Another option for front suspension

probably won't be cheap, but will most likely be worth it....
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/568/16...portsters.aspx
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #2644
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
They seem to be around $300, from what I can find.
I wonder how they compare to the Cartridge emulators and Intiminators, performance-wise.
Someone needs to do a comparison test.
I nominate Randy - he'd do a great job!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #2645
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
They seem to be around $300, from what I can find.
I wonder how they compare to the Cartridge emulators and Intiminators, performance-wise.
Someone needs to do a comparison test.
I nominate Randy - he'd do a great job!
I accept that nomination! When can I expect to receive em?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #2646
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post

I did a similar insert from Works and love the ride quality. Here's a quick shock/fork review I did on XLF...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1249853
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #2647
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 133
Sorry for theme abrupt theme change. But thanks to DRjoe, I can now post pics!

theKite screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 05:26 AM Reason: Sorry for thabrupt theme change, but I finally found out how to post pictures on this forum. Thanks to DRjoe. This is my wife
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #2648
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Well, give my thanks to DRjoe too. Nice pic!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #2649
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 264
From the XROG East Coast Meet. This is on The Dragon. (XROG = XR Owners Group)

Redclayrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #2650
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Really a shame that the MOCO pulled the plug on both Buell and the XR series. I do love the rumble and feel of the Sporty based engines, but I also like something with a little actual "sport" in it too. Shame that all they want to produce now is low rider bar hoppers and huge big twin barges...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #2651
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Really a shame that the MOCO pulled the plug on both Buell and the XR series. I do love the rumble and feel of the Sporty based engines, but I also like something with a little actual "sport" in it too. Shame that all they want to produce now is low rider bar hoppers and huge big twin barges...
They've dropped anything even resembling "normal". The 1200R went bye bye in about 2005? The 1200N, last year, of course the XR series as you mentioned and even the 1200L tossed in the towel. The race to be the lowest bike, with the least usable suspension travel is alive and well.....it's all about LOW!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #2652
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
They've dropped anything even resembling "normal". The 1200R went bye bye in about 2005? The 1200N, last year, of course the XR series as you mentioned and even the 1200L tossed in the towel. The race to be the lowest bike, with the least usable suspension travel is alive and well.....it's all about LOW!
Lyle
Yeah, I know what you mean. I can understand offering the LOW models since that seems to be the popular styling trend, but I don't understand why people are willing to sacrifice so much about the riding experience just to obtain that look. But even still, you'd think they'd still offer something like the Italian version of the Iron for the rest of us, at least. Just put some "SPORT" back in the Sportster for cryin' out loud! Not everyone is satisfied just cruising to the local bar or bike night and standing around in the parking lot trying to look cool.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #2653
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I can understand offering the LOW models since that seems to be the popular styling trend, but I don't understand why people are willing to sacrifice so much about the riding experience just to obtain that look.
I think one reason is that some folks simply don't know any better because they have never experienced other bikes. With nothing to compare they think it's normal.

Randy I did something similar as your 48 with my now gone 07 XL1200C. 13" Progressive shocks and new fork springs were installed along with mid controls. What a difference! Fortunately there still is a 08 XLC in the garage (wifes). I'm about to give that bike the same suspension treatment as the 07. With 20/20 hindsight the Roadster would have been the better purchase. Unfortunately the Roadster's practical factor was over ruled in favor of the Custom's shiney bling factor by my wife! Oh well that's what after market parts are for, well that and the Yamaha Gen II FZ1 parked next to the Sporty!
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #2654
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1 View Post
I think one reason is that some folks simply don't know any better because they have never experienced other bikes. With nothing to compare they think it's normal.

Randy I did something similar as your 48 with my now gone 07 XL1200C. 13" Progressive shocks and new fork springs were installed along with mid controls. What a difference! Fortunately there still is a 08 XLC in the garage (wifes). I'm about to give that bike the same suspension treatment as the 07. With 20/20 hindsight the Roadster would have been the better purchase. Unfortunately the Roadster's practical factor was over ruled in favor of the Custom's shiney bling factor by my wife! Oh well that's what after market parts are for, well that and the Yamaha Gen II FZ1 parked next to the Sporty!

I certainly think you have a point. An awful lot of cruiser buyers start out with very little actual experience or knowledge about motorcycles. Many are drawn because it's a "cool" "fashion accessory" to gain them entry into the "club", so to speak. Of course there's more to it than just that, but that's part of it at least.

So, then this group of buyers either wander into the local HD shop and get "sold" something by a died in the wool Harley guy that likely knows just as little about motorcycles as the new customer, or they wander into the local "wannabe" shop and get a cheaper version like a new Bolt, V-Star, whatever...

Either way, the result is the same. That's why so many low mileage cruisers are out there... a lot of people buy them to be cool, and so they can say they're a biker, maybe ride it down to the local pub on sunday afternoon for a few beers and a ball game, and then toddle back home... And then some of them actually may decide that they do enjoy riding, but since it's all they've ever known about bikes, and they're brainwashed into believing that's the way it's supposed to be, they just stick to the same sort of thing, buy the pirate gear and start giving the finger to anyone on anything else....

Now, I know I'm starting to sound like a cruiser basher. Sorry, but that's the way I always thought about them until I actually BECAME one... But, even though I do now ride a cruiser (sorta), that doesn't change the way a large segment of the market really does function.

I know, different strokes for different folks, and all that. And I do my best to understand other people's choices and tastes, but I really can't believe anyone with any real riding experience could ride my bike, before and after, back to back, and honestly say that they preferred it better before. And I mean really ride it out and about, and not just troll through town at 30mph. Possibly strictly on the basis of styling tastes, but definitely not on any level of functionality.

Randy screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 06:02 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #2655
Flynch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I've had many different Harley's over the years, but the last 18 years of commuting had killed my want for the low rider look, even though I admired the neighbor kids Nightster, he didn't commute daily on the curvy pot holed riddled roads I did. My FXRP did a fairly good job with the roads even though it had been lowered, but after I sold it to finish my horse barn, a suitable replacement couldn't be found so I decided to try a real honest to goodness dual sport, (because my friends laughed at me when they followed my Harleys down gravel roads...which are also my daily commuting roads)

My latest bike, a beater KLR handled the commute great but comfort after about 50 miles, both seat wise and my long legs on the mid mounts made rethink my perfect commuting vehicle again. I borrowed my brothers bone-stock fuel-injected 883 for a couple weeks and was shocked how great a bike it was with stock shocks and cushy front forks. It handled decent, had decent power and was pretty comfortable on my ass, (and with the bigger tank it could go farther on a tank than my old FXRP.)

I still haven't given in to fuel injection yet, so I shopped around for a 2004-2005 model, and found a low mileage 2004 1200C, which has 12" rear shocks and taller forks than the Nightster, forward controls, and a 21" front wheel. I figured I'd raise it up and fabricate floor boards since I fell in love with the ones on my FXRP, but a funny thing happened on my my way home, it didn't drag as bad as I anticipated, maybe the last twenty years of owning Buells, SV's and the FXRP, I had become a better rider and could drag the chrome pieces thru the curves fast enough that maybe I could rethink ruining the cool looks of the bike. (hey I'm human and all..some of my friends are Pirates matey.)

Yes the aftermarket Lepera seat comfort level is comparable to having kidney stones, and the Dunlop cruiser tires don't really offer much confidence, both those things will be tossed aside with the forward controls and pull back risers....boatload of chrome.

But the bike looks good, runs and sounds great. An absolute blast to ride. And as of now, the only thing I plan on changing on the suspension is adding a fork brace.

But the great thing about the Sportster is changing all of that stuff is easy and affordable and if you don't like the changes, you can resell the parts quickly on Ebay.