Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #2761
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by s&s View Post
883R stock exhaust from some 10 years ago. A hard-to-find part nowadays.

If the bike is 883, I'd rather have stock keihin rejetted w/ high-flow aircleaner (preferably s&s teardrop because it's just so damn good looking).
Good call!

So, why do you people swap the stocker for the s+s?

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #2762
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
There's a rumor that floats around among people that the stock Keihin will starve for fuel at sustained high speed or full throttle in the case of the 883.

And it's very fashionable to swap to an S&S carb in a sort of little deuce coupe "you don't know what I got" kind of way.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #2763
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

He caved, yesterday. I still don't know if it's a screaming deal, but I'm probably going to go look at it this afternoon.

Hopefully I can sell off some of the stuff, recoup some money, and buy some better looking stuff. Seat/bars mostly.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #2764
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
He caved, yesterday. I still don't know if it's a screaming deal, but I'm probably going to go look at it this afternoon.

Hopefully I can sell off some of the stuff, recoup some money, and buy some better looking stuff. Seat/bars mostly.
Probably just tossing the seat and those cheapo bags will make it look a ton better.

The 2-1 pipe is a nice part, and the bars ain't so bad.

I bet you could get a decent seat, or just a pan, on the cheap. A staple gun, some vinyl or leather, and some foam w/ gel inserts, and you could do your own for cheap.

That bike is a great starting point.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #2765
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I like Kraven's analogy about the carbs! An image thing for some.

I also have good memories of polishing the interior of S&S intakes as a kid/teenager (S&S 'B' was so popular). When the 'E' came along it was truly a leap forward for S&S. It was a carb that IMO, and that of many others, could stand up to the mighty Mikuni (and they were/are excellent with throttle response).

Another plus was losing the stock rubber intake in favor of the solid S&S. I recall the intake alone from Screamin' Eagle was 80-100 dollars in late late 80s to early 90s. The factory fitting was delicate and prone to leak. When you bought an 'E' as a kit you got everything but fuel line and throttle cable. It was a good buy for the money and S&S was popular already, especially among the drag racing crews (the 'B' was loved by many).

My first S&S 'E' was mounted on my 1200 in June of 1991. If I have any trouble out of the stocker on this '94 it'll get an 'E' along with any other performance upgrades (bore, heads, cams, of course!). If/when I build another Storz-Type it'll have an 'E' too.

Good luck closing the deal.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #2766
s&s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Super E is a solid carb, but even S&S acknowledges it might be a bit too much for 883:
"NOTE - Because S&S carburetors are significantly larger
than OEM units, unmodified, small displacement engines
such as 883 and Iron Head Sportsters may experience
sluggish low speed response when equipped with S&S
carburetors. This can often be minimized with careful tuning."

But try it out, maybe the guy got it tuned right. If not, ask if he still happens to have the stock cv or score one from ebay.
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2767
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 132
Here's my Sporty. Some folks like it, some people ask why I "de-Harley'd" it, and some folks tell me I should've bought a sport bike.

It's a 2004 1200 Custom. I changed to mid foot controls, added the 2-1 exhaust, S&S air cleaner, and as of today now have taller 13" standard shocks. When I first bought it I debadged it and removed some of the ugly trim pieces just because I don't like gaudiness. I also changed out lots of shitty chrome bolt-ons like grips, flame mirrors, etc.

This particular bike was a good deal so I bought it back in March. It had 12k miles and now has 17k. I was not after a "Custom" model but it's what I ended up with so I'm making it "mine" now. It's a whole lot of chrome, but functionally all it requires is a quick wipe with a rag when it's dirty. Certainly no polishing.

jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #2768
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody see this scrambler style Sportster?

Build thread here:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ight=Sportster

Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #2769
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Anybody see this scrambler style Sportster?

Build thread here:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ight=Sportster
Yep, I love that bike! I think I posted pics and a link to that build thread a while back. I really want to build a "custom" Sporty and I'm torn between building something like this bike, the CR that Burly built, or something more along the lines of the CRD bike since those are my favorite build inspiration bikes I've seen so far.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #2770
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

JBC: bike looks great!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #2771
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc1200 View Post
Here's my Sporty. Some folks like it, some people ask why I "de-Harley'd" it, and some folks tell me I should've bought a sport bike.

It's a 2004 1200 Custom. I changed to mid foot controls, added the 2-1 exhaust, S&S air cleaner, and as of today now have taller 13" standard shocks. When I first bought it I debadged it and removed some of the ugly trim pieces just because I don't like gaudiness. I also changed out lots of shitty chrome bolt-ons like grips, flame mirrors, etc.

This particular bike was a good deal so I bought it back in March. It had 12k miles and now has 17k. I was not after a "Custom" model but it's what I ended up with so I'm making it "mine" now. It's a whole lot of chrome, but functionally all it requires is a quick wipe with a rag when it's dirty. Certainly no polishing.
I like it a lot, functional and nice looking, I reckon you've done a great job so far.

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #2772
jbc1200
Busy Living

Thanks guys. Just for grins, here's where I started in March.

At some point I plan to get a set of matching wheels, probably 16"/19". I absolutely hate the mismatched combo that HD puts together. Something like these OEM take-offs would be great with a set of Avons.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #2773
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

JBC, you're highlighting one of the Sportsters strengths: versatility!

While some builds are very complex, a lot of tweaking can be done with a night in the garage. These bikes are easy to personalize and the aftermarket is full of options. Even better, the used parts market is full of good OEM parts.

It is part of what makes the Sporty fun.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #2774
jbc1200
Busy Living

Yeah, it's really cheap to fix a modern Sportster any way you want it.

So far my cost involved is:

2-1 Exhaust: $295
S&S A/C: $113 (rejet was free from old shims/jets)
OEM Mid controls: $100
13" Shocks: $40
OEM footpegs: $15
OEM grips: $5
Black OEM mirrors: Free from a buddy
Debadge: 45min with fishing string and Goo-Gone

I won't buy wheels until I've completely worn the life out of the current tires. At that point I plan to get some OEM takeoffs from ebay and then put on a new set of Avons, or some other quality tire.

I'm looking around for a cheap all-black air cleaner cover. As much as I like the exposed element I am afraid of how the filter will be in a hard rain.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #2775
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

So, I brought home a sportster this morning. I showed up and it was pretty dirty, like hadn't been washed in many moons dirty. Lots of dirt/oil on the engine from the weeping valve cover gaskets. There's a little rust on the chrome front wheel and some corrosion on the solid aluminum rear, but it'll all clean up, I think. The front fender is scratched/slightly dented. The rear fender has a little rust starting on the very back. Basically all of the chrome has a slight haze to it that I think will clean up pretty nicely. On my way home, I stopped and picked up some degreaser, sprayed it all down, then hosed it off at the car wash. It looks 100x better than when I picked it up. Mechanically, it starts right up, but when cold it sounds like its on the edge of dying, but just keeps loping along. I have 0 experience with Harleys, so I can't tell if that's normal or it needs a tune up. I'd err on the side that it may need a carb adjustment since it has the S+S E carb. Oh, also the megaphone's baffle has been gutted, so I may be looking for a different slip on. It came with a nice quick release windshield and some willie and max bags, if anyone is interested. I would also be interested in trading that big comfy seat for something a little smaller. :)

Oh, and since I was a little dissapointed in the condition, when I talked to him, I explained my issues and I went back to my original offer of 2100, he said he couldn't do that, he had paid 3500 for it 2 years ago. So he said he'd knock off 100, and I countered with 2300. We settled at that. I left kind of feeling like I beat up the guy on the price, but man it's a 14 year old bike and I don't really care about the Harley's inflated values when I'm buying one. ;)

and the best part, lol:

I think that will make a sweet medallion for somebody's gold chain!