Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #271
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I paid $90 for my 1200S shocks at a swap meet. For the money, I couldn't be happier.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #272
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
if I could find them for $90 I'd pick them up too.

What do you weigh? I thought the only worked well for the very light.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #273
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
I got a set of Works Performance, 12.5" nitrogen charged, dual rate shocks custom made to match my weight and riding style for $360. Just gotta keep your eye out for the deals. Made in the USA too... I'll give a ride report soon... I believe these are around $500 regularly...
Those are the exact shocks that I want but they have been consistently too rich for my blood. How the hell did you get them for $360 and WHERE??!!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #274
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Those are the exact shocks that I want but they have been consistently too rich for my blood. How the hell did you get them for $360 and WHERE??!!!
Check out Works' website. They have a link to their "Outlet" store on eBay... They have some great deals on there.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/store.html

Another pic...

Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #275
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
if I could find them for $90 I'd pick them up too.

What do you weigh? I thought the only worked well for the very light.
I'm 5'10" 165-170lbs.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #276
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Awesome, same stats... and you're happy with the S shocks? How do they fair with a passenger?

thanks for the info Kirk.

how did that chain conversion change things?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #277
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
thanks for the info Kirk.

how did that chain conversion change things?
Chain hasn't changed much at all. I raised the final gearing similar to a 1200 final drive ratio. That combined with my lower 883 primary gearing, I'm somewhere in between. Lowered highway RPM's, but still strong outta the gate.

The only thing I notice with the chain is that I can hear its mechanical noise. Which I enjoy thoroughly.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #278
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

I thought I heard rumors that it weighed less and got a few more ponies to connect to the wheel when compared to the belt.

But I love my belt.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #279
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Check out Works' website. They have a link to their "Outlet" store on eBay... They have some great deals on there.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/store.html

Another pic...

Hey bro, thanks for the link.

Dave

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #280
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I thought I heard rumors that it weighed less and got a few more ponies to connect to the wheel when compared to the belt.

But I love my belt.
The rear chain sprocket is not even half as heavy as the stock pulley... But of course, the chain weighs much more than the belt, so I'm not so sure which direction the trade off went... I like my chain, and wouldn't think of going back. That's all that really matters to me.

Plus, I keep a master link in my tool bag, so roadside repairs are at least "plausible" now, unless I take out an oil line when the chain breaks... haha.

Now, onto the Works shocks, I am VERY impressed. Keep in mind, though, I am comparing them to the stock Iron 883 shocks which were 11" (maybe 11-1/4 unladen) and they are not much more than rigid struts that "occasionally" absorb a bump or two. Seriously.

The Works shocks have absorbed every dip, pothole, bump, whatever I can throw at it. I work in the "downtown" area of Abilene, TX and ride every day. The roads here are awful. You can actually see in my riding vid I posted a while back that even the country roads here are not much better than graded gravel. I keep finding myself "jockeying" my bike still when I'm going over the rough stuff, and I am now so surprised that I don't need to. The bike absorbs it all.

In turns, I have much better lean angle. I no longer drag my kickstand around left handers, and hopefully I'll avoid dragging that pricey exhaust as well. I had short shots for a while, and the lower pipe didn't even stand a chance. I nearly dragged a hole in it.

Confidence in throwing my bike around turns is gained back. This bike reacts so well now. I am actually interested in Works' new Harley fork systems. I just have a set of Progressive springs up front right now. Works new kit uses their dual rate springs along with an additional valving system, similar to the Ricor Intiminators. But I'd like to find some taller "R" forks to put them into...

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/new_products.html - At the bottom of the page.

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 06:58 AM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #281
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

that fork kit sounds like a deal, depending on how well their valve system works. I paid $240 or something for my ricor intiminators (discount code). A purchase I do not regret. They work really well at bringing the forks up to par.

I hear the Works' dual rate springs and intiminators are an awesome combo. Might be an upcoming purchase for me, who knows. $129 ain't bad.

What size did you get in the Works? I'm at 13.5" and hardly drag a thing, though I've been really concentrating on shifting my weight.

Model number?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #282
Wanna Ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Works new kit uses their dual rate springs along with an additional valving system, similar to the Ricor Intiminators.
How do you know the Works damping mechanism is similar to Ricor Intiminators?

I go by XLXR on the XL Forum, and have done a lot of suspension development on the rubber mount Sportsters. You can read about it all in the "7 Pages of Suspension" in the Supsension Sticky Section over there.

I also have made reports on setting up Ricor Intiminators for V-Stroms on other threads here.

I have an 2006 Roadster. I helped Ricor develop the IAS shock tune for rubber mount Sportsters, but I am not an employee. I don't keep up with what other suspension companies do any more, but my Ricor equiped Roadster was a bit better than the modified Ohlins on my 2005 Ducati Multistrada.

I am also a strong advocate for the Works Dual Rate fork spring because it can be adjusted to change the initial rate, final rate, and the crossover zone between them. But it takes more work to get it right for any particular rider.

I have not tried the Works fork damping units.

The 1200S shocks have a very light spring, 54/78 lbs/in. On heavier rubber mount bikes, they work for riders in the 140 to 180 lb range. By contrast, Progressive Suspension standard spring is 75/120 lbs/in for shocks over 12 1/2" long on rubber mount bikes. (I think I have remembered the correct numbers.) I weigh 260 lbs, at least I did when I tested the 1200S shocks on my Roadster, and I bottomed them out all the time.

Quote:
They're 13.5" 12-series with 95/140 springs. I'm probably 180lbs fully loaded.
You need the standard 75/120 spring. The 95/140 will be too stiff at your weight unless you do a lot of two up riding.

Wanna Ride screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 11:53 PM
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #283
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,021
I'm qbout the same weight s you in riding gear and have Intiminators on order.

What would you suggest for fork springs?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #284
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

He's going to tell you to go with the works dual rate spring kit.

Here's the 7 pages of suspension sticky Wanna Ride eluded to:

1st 7 pages: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=552795
2nd 7 pages: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=552796
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #285
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Ride View Post
You need the standard 75/120 spring. The 95/140 will be too stiff at your weight unless you do a lot of two up riding.
I agree that these shocks aren't working for me. Bottom out at 1 and 2, 3's alright, then it gets pretty stiff from there.

I'm looking for a pair of Custom or Low shocks off an 09 for the springs and am going to mate those to my roadster bodies next. I just can't afford any decent commercial shocks