Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #2851
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Anybody have a set of the newer more oval shaped sportster mirrors they don't want? black or chrome, whichever.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #2852
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Heading Out.....

I'm heading out in the morning thru WV., down to Fancy Gap, then down the BRP to Maggie Valley....Meeting up with my buddy on his CB1100 in southern Ohio....

Gonna take 33 to, 16, to 60, to RT20, to Princeton, then down 77 to Fancy Gap..Great ride I did it last year on my Vstrom, this year on the Sportster..

09 Versys

jnor screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 04:16 PM
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #2853
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Anybody have a set of the newer more oval shaped sportster mirrors they don't want? black or chrome, whichever.
Mike, I might be willing to part with the stock mirrors off my 2006 Roadster. Fair warning, I'll part with them because I really want something I can actually see behind me with, these are only good for checking out my arms. But send me a PM if you're interested.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #2854
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 152
Heck yeah. I'm jealous that I'm not loading up for a long trip tonight. Y'all have fun and be safe!

I piddled with mine between rainstorms and yard work today. I had a standard black license plate mount and some amber indicator lenses in a box so I put them on. I also finally mounted the National Cycle Gladiator windshield that I received months ago. I didn't have much time to test it out but it actually works very well and is adjustable at two pivot points so you can raise or lower it and change the forward pitch.

jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #2855
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Black Mirrors available.......pm sent.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #2856
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Black Mirrors available.......pm sent.
thanks again.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #2857
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

working with some plasti-dip:

mikesova screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 03:59 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #2858
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Trying some low buck customization. I saw something about wrapping paracord around the upper forks. I found this rope at the local discount shop. It's black with specks of red and yellow, which match the bike's paint scheme. I wrapped them a little short to leave room for the signal relocation brackets I ordered.

I used what was left to wrap part of the sissy bar:

I also plasti-dipped the air cleaner yesterday, while I was doing the fork legs:

It's been way too hot out the last few days, so I've been hiding in the house/garage.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #2859
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 152
That Plastidip stuff looks interesting. I acquired a Dyna OEM air cleaner cover so that I could protect my K&N filter from the rain and mud. I'm thinking that Plastidip would look good on it since it's kind of chrome overkill at the moment.

Don't you just spray it on with no prep and then peel it off later when you're ready?

jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #2860
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc1200 View Post
That Plastidip stuff looks interesting. I acquired a Dyna OEM air cleaner cover so that I could protect my K&N filter from the rain and mud. I'm thinking that Plastidip would look good on it since it's kind of chrome overkill at the moment.

Don't you just spray it on with no prep and then peel it off later when you're ready?

Yep. Just make sure it's really clean. Also, I would reccommend using a large styrofoam cup (what I found in the recycling bin) or something like that to prop it up while spraying. If you let it sit flat on a piece of cardboard, the plastic dip wants to peel off when you pick it up after it's dry. Yeah, prop it up, do like 4-5 coats and let it dry. After you give it a couple coats, you think you've got it covered, until you look closer. :)

I think it looks awesome, but I'm a little nervous about it being so close to the carb. Gas will eat it up, so be careful.

Edit: I also saw somebody using it on their heat shields on either hdforum or xlforum. I can't believe that it would hold up to that, but supposedly it will. 8 bucks a can isn't exactly a huge investment. ;)

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #2861
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
working with some plasti-dip:
That looks really good, at least in pictures. I keep hearing about this stuff. I think it's time to try it.

Do you know if it can be applied over paint then removed later without paint damage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #2862
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
That looks really good, at least in pictures. I keep hearing about this stuff. I think it's time to try it.

Do you know if it can be applied over paint then removed later without paint damage?

That's literally the point of it. To be able to coat something that can be removed later. I don't think I would have painted the fork legs on my bike, but plasti-dip, sure, why not. If it gets nasty looking after a while, I can literally pull it off without even having to take anything apart.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #2863
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's literally the point of it. To be able to coat something that can be removed later. I don't think I would have painted the fork legs on my bike, but plasti-dip, sure, why not. If it gets nasty looking after a while, I can literally pull it off without even having to take anything apart.
Thats sweet. I'm going to buy a test can, see how I like it. I see myself using it on a lot of stuff.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #2864
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Thats sweet. I'm going to buy a test can, see how I like it. I see myself using it on a lot of stuff.

It has its place for the right application. One of the good things is its remove-ability. Just be aware of its limitations. Like all coatings, the key to long term durability is proper adhesion, and that requires having an adequate anchor pattern on the substrate. Bright and shining chrome is just the opposite so nothing will stick to it real well over the long term. That's great if you just want a temporary change, or don't mind reapplying it on occasion.

But, if you want a good long term solution I'd look into powder coating. I picked up a little powder coating unit from Harbor Freight a while back and I'm really impressed with the results on a few parts that I've done so far. . I paid less than $50 for the unit and just a few dollars for a jar of matte black powder. I've done several things on my Sporty already and have been surprised how far one jar of powder goes. I've posted pics of some of the things I've done, a while back in this thread. Much cheaper than rattle cans, and much more durable. It's very easy to use and produces a finish superior to any readily available paint. Dust it with powder, bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes and let it cool. Out comes a finished product with no drying time, no noxious fumes, and no worrisome overspray to get on things you DON'T want paint on. Until it's cured with heat it's just a very fine dust, so you can do it in places you might not want to use spray paint, like inside your garage. The only caveat is that it won't work in places that would call for high temp paint since it has a melting point a little below 400 degrees. But for most parts on a motorcycle it's a really good thing to have around the shop.

But, even with powder coat, you still need to have a properly prepared surface for it to stick too.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #2865
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

I have a harbor freight powdercoat gun, and I agree that it's a very nice thing to have. I'm looking at the plasti dip for a temporary thing.