Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #2896
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Where do you guys keep tools on the bike? I don't want saddlebags or anything "piratey". One of those solo bags would probably be ok, but too much $$ to carry a little bundle of tools.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #2897
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Clear and mount it!

Not only does the naked chick on a unicorn look good, I'm digging the rest of the marbled look of the rest of the tank. You could start a trend.
I'm doing it for sure.

Just need to finish cleaning up the rest of the tank, and shoot a little bit of primer gray on a few spots that I had already sanded to metal. I'm leaving the areas that didn't get sanded through as-is to preserve the 'half-sanded, look what I found' look.

Still haven't fully decided what to do about the fenders. Might just gloss black them like my original plan.

I'm still kicking around buying the paugho 4 gallon tank, I have dreams of touring on an ironhead. Not sure if it will happen, but I like all of my bikes to be tour-ready at the least. It seems like every trip I go on is a zero notice 'we're leaving tomorrow' type trip, and every time that happens my 'touring bike' isn't ready so I have to grab something else. Like tomorrow, taking the gsxr on a 500 mile sport touring ride because the fjr forks are at the shop. Last year I took the ninja on a 2000 mile trip because it had the best tires at the time. Last week I took the gsxr on a Harley poker run because the road king was (still is) broke, and the ironhead clutch needs some sort of attention. Last fall I took the xr on a trip because the klr was down with a bald rear tire. Ass still hurts from that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #2898
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Where do you guys keep tools on the bike? I don't want saddlebags or anything "piratey". One of those solo bags would probably be ok, but too much $$ to carry a little bundle of tools.
I don't carry tools for most rides (one or two days on the road). The bike is dependable enough that I don't worry about it, and as long as everything is adjusted and tightened before the ride, no tools are needed.
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #2899
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
I don't carry tools for most rides (one or two days on the road). The bike is dependable enough that I don't worry about it, and as long as everything is adjusted and tightened before the ride, no tools are needed.
Quote:
I bought a little pleather Hd fork bag for like 30 bucks. Granted this was 10 years ago. Mounted on the tubes worked great!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2900
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red eyed and Rollin View Post
I bought a little pleather Hd fork bag for like 30 bucks. Granted this was 10 years ago. Mounted on the tubes worked great!
Same here.

Mikesova, if you want one I have an extra somewhere. Good enough shape, just some wear from use. Might even say HD on it.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #2901
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Upgraded my cap, no more embarrassment. ;)

I'm gonna use this today on the maiden voyage.

This is pretty much my first major ride on it today. I put plates on it yesterday and swapped insurance with my FZ6. I hope I don't regret that decision today. :)

Also, Blk Betty, I got the mirrors in yesterday. They look awesome on this bike and I can even see behind me! ;)

Real quick, before I head out, this thing is supposed to sound like every bolt is going to rattle off in a matter of seconds, right?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #2902
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Real quick, before I head out, this thing is supposed to sound like every bolt is going to rattle off in a matter of seconds, right?
Yeah they all do that.

Sometimes the right front turn signal falls off, keep an eye on that one. Not sure why, I've had it happen a lot. Probably 10+ times on 2 different bikes. Some weird vibration resonance or something hates that turn signal.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #2903
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Hey! Mine fell off too last trip! Snugged up the nut on the side of the road with a drop of loctite and it's been fine since.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #2904
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^I use an electric leaf blower, as the 2-stroke motor blower I have pushes the exhaust out the nozzle (along with the oily smoke).
That's brilliant, with a 5% mix you will add a corrosion protective layer to it
Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #2905
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I haven't checked the jets yet, but I did tinker with the Carb settings. I'm getting a pop from the Carb shortly after starting (and on deccelaration) and I had some dieseling after I shut it down today, twice.

mikesova screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 02:38 PM
Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #2906
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Setting off to North Finland and Norway

Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #2907
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
Mikesova.....glad the mirrors worked out for you. I'm guessing the bars your using puts them up a tad higher and that's why your not seeing much of your shoulders.

I put a set on a '00 XL1200S and they were almost useless but looked good. Swapped them out for the stockers as I can stand not being to see behind me. Those I sold you came off my '09 XR1200....I put a set of the longer stem mirrors on it for the same reason.

Enjoy that ride.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #2908
s&s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
I mounted a bicycle tool bag on the ignition module cover:

Just big enough for basic tool set consisting of multi-bit screwdriver, torx & hex keys, monkey wrench and a multi tool.

s&s screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 08:07 AM
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #2909
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

I think I had a case of bad gas. The tank was basically full when I bought the sporty, so I had to burn through that. On my way home, I stopped when I had probably a little less than a half gallon left and filled up with 93 premium. After I took off, it was like riding a different bike. I didn't have any coughing or popping coming from the carburetor and I didn't have any dieseling after shut down. I also rode it like an asshole to make sure to clean out any carbon that might exist. :)

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2910
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think I had a case of bad gas. The tank was basically full when I bought the sporty, so I had to burn through that. On my way home, I stopped when I had probably a little less than a half gallon left and filled up with 93 premium. After I took off, it was like riding a different bike. I didn't have any coughing or popping coming from the carburetor and I didn't have any dieseling after shut down. I also rode it like an asshole to make sure to clean out any carbon that might exist. :)
Spoke too soon. :( Still the occasional pop/cough from the carb and it dieseled on me twice today.

Any advice? I'm going to try and re-tune the carb based on the factory directions. If that doesn't do anything, I guess I'll have to tear it apart and check the jets.

Do you think there would be a need for a jet change going from the gutted stock pipe to the normal stock pipe?