Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2956
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Spoke too soon. :( Still the occasional pop/cough from the carb and it dieseled on me twice today.

Any advice? I'm going to try and re-tune the carb based on the factory directions. If that doesn't do anything, I guess I'll have to tear it apart and check the jets.

Do you think there would be a need for a jet change going from the gutted stock pipe to the normal stock pipe?
Sounds like it's running lean (carb farts...) so the PO probably did not re-jet for any changes. Should be ok if you go back to the stock mufflers (cheap on Ebay) but you may want to rejet as well, EPA stock jetting is very lean.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #2957
packnru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Here is my '06 883 in Iowa on the way to Sturgis in 2011.

packnru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #2958
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Classy bike:

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
I don't know how long this link will stay up and I didn't take any pictures, but I struck a deal for this little time capsule today; http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3957145071.html

a '96 xlh with 366 miles on the clock. The only deviations I found from stock were some handle bar risers and Screamin' Eagle pipes.

I was looking for an 883r but the only nice ones I found were way too pricey.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #2959
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
i've been looking around CL dreaming of buying my next bike i've noticed a few "48s" for sale but i havent seen a single "72" on CL. i'm not interested in either model since my preference is for the lighter prerubber bikes. it's just interesting to me that nobody seems to be putting their 72s out on the market. i use the keyword "sportster" when i search just so i can weed out as many other bikes as possible. if some people advertise their sportsters without calling them such then i guess i'll miss that ad. but........not my problem.

Alcohol Cuz no great story ever started with a salad!!
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #2960
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
The 48s have been out much longer.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #2961
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebone View Post
i've been looking around CL dreaming of buying my next bike i've noticed a few "48s" for sale but i havent seen a single "72" on CL. i'm not interested in either model since my preference is for the lighter prerubber bikes. it's just interesting to me that nobody seems to be putting their 72s out on the market. i use the keyword "sportster" when i search just so i can weed out as many other bikes as possible. if some people advertise their sportsters without calling them such then i guess i'll miss that ad. but........not my problem.
You can use more than one keyword in your search, although I would think that "Sportster" will catch the vast majority. I use Searchtempest as my Craigslist search engine since it allows searching all lists within a user defined search radius of your location. It's not perfect but it seems to work pretty well for me.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #2962
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Well my week of riding the sporty has me concluding that it is fun to ride, has a great feeling, very mechanical sounds, clunks, etc. For me, it's not a very good bike for going over 100 miles at a time. Not very smooth either. I didn't notice the vibes that much, until I went to go ride my fz6 which is supposed to be a really vibey bike. Super smooth compared to the sporty. I really enjoyed the v twin sound from the 2 into 1 as well as the low end power. It seems to have a very visceral feel and is fun in curves. After 80 or so miles my shoulders would hurt. Not sure if the bar or position of the bar made a difference, since I didn't ride it much with the stock bar.

I had just swapped the sporty on my insurance with my fz6, but I now swapped it back for a trip to a friends up north where I'll be riding more miles than I think I want to on the sporty.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #2963
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
http://wichita.craigslist.org/search...k=&maxAsk=5000

I limited this search for a Sportster with a maximum of $5,000.
That should weed out most of the 2004 and later.
You can try it by changing it to $4,000 max.

This searches for 883 with $5,000 max.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/search...k=&maxAsk=5000

Right in Haysville:
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/3934330627.html

1991 Harley Davidson Sportster Hugger XLH - $4000 (Haysville)

Kelley Blue Book link

$3,175

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #2964
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
Right in Haysville:
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/3934330627.html

1991 Harley Davidson Sportster Hugger XLH - $4000 (Haysville)

Kelley Blue Book link

$3,175

George
yeah i noticed that bike. thats way to much money for a 22 year old bike with 70k miles on it. altho it's encouraging to see a hugger get to 70k and still look pretty good.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #2965
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
yeah i noticed that bike. thats way to much money for a 22 year old bike with 70k miles on it. altho it's encouraging to see a hugger get to 70k and still look pretty good.
It looks better than the 99 I just sold with 22k. She had a rough life from 2004-2012 though. PO used it as a work bike and only lived 5 miles away.

Still to much money though. I'd go $3000 I think if it was sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #2966
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Shock Treatment

Before (grungy but familiar):

Old & New:

After:

I was very tired of the lousy shocks, so I ordered up a set of Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles
http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/...cgi/Hagon.html
I ordered them by phone, answering how much I weighed, passenger, how I rode. I got the basic Hagons with the "Wide Line" chrome springs. Dave was great, built the shocks, got them to UPS, and to me in 21 hours(!).

I've only ridden about 50 miles with them so far, but what a huge difference! Much better ride, more solid handling (no more wobbly cornering). It seems to have even helped the front end, somehow. All this for $224 to my door.

I have only ridden with them in the softest preload setting, and without Mrs Hazard on back, but I KNOW the bike will be worlds better two-up than it was before.

My advice (whether you want it or not), is to quit suffering with crap (stock), don't mess with "one size fits most" valving and springing (Progressive), or saving to spend 1/4 of the bikes value (Ohlin$) on shocks and get a set of these.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #2967
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,785
Larger tank

This 2008
883 Sportster is for sale locally.

Any suggestions for a larger tank?

The owner is never home.
Wife opens door.
No test ride.
Only thing I have been able to do is slip the clutch in every gear.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #2968
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

if you buy it i would stick with the tank it has until you ride it awhile and see if you really need a larger tank or if the current tank tank just doesnt let you go as far as you feel you can. how much is the guy wanting if you dont mind me asking.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #2969
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
This 2008
883 Sportster is for sale locally.

Any suggestions for a larger tank?

The owner is never home.
Wife opens door.
No test ride.
Only thing I have been able to do is slip the clutch in every gear.

George
FI Sportsters are available with tank sizes of 2.2, 3.3, and 4.5 gallons. Any of those will work on any of the bikes. They are different lengths though, so the longer tanks will require a seat of the correct length. I believe the seats for the 3.3 and 4.5 gallon tanks are the same, though don't quote me on that. But, I know that a seat that fits snug to the rear of the 2.2 gallon tank won't work with a big tank. My 1200 gets a little over 50 mpg with mixed riding, (54 riding at highway speeds, and 48 flogging it for all it's worth) so the "need" for a larger tank depends on your style and riding locations.

I wouldn't allow test rides either. Too many tire kickers and flakes out there to let every Tom, Dick, or Harry that shows up, ride my bikes. But, let someone show up with cash in hand and that's a different story. Then again, I probably wouldn't buy a used bike without at least a short test ride either. If you want the bike, exchange $$ for keys with a provisional test ride as part of the deal. If it checks out, they sign the title over. If you take off or damage the bike, they still have your cash and the title. No one is risking anything that way. If the owner scoffs at that idea, walk...

Good luck making a deal.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2970
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
MY sporty