Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #3046
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Possibly raising the shifter a bit might be enough to make your foot happy with the mids?

My neighbor just got a low-low mileage Super Low, and I was surprised how wide and different the foot controls were on a rubbermount, compared to my 93, where the footrests mount to the motor. I imagine (but don't know) that the forwards might be closer in to the bike's centerline than the mids, and your leg might be straighter, rather than angled outward.

Just a theory. Anyone please feel free to tell me how much shit I'm full of.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the shifter needing to be rotated one spline. Mines shifts easily with the mids. In fact, it's better than the forwards due to the direct connection of the lever to the shaft instead of the linkage and rod arrangement of the forward mounted shift lever. Then again, I do have a 30" inseam, and I did set them up myself when I converted. Sometimes when dealer techs set bikes up they don't pay a lot of attention to details like control alignment and such. Every bike I've ever owned need a little fine tuning to suit me.

Not going to go so far as to say you're full of shit, but...

I never measured mine before and after, so I can't say exactly how they differ in regard to centerline. But, I don't think the forwards are any closer inboard. I know they made my legs feel more splayed out if anything. Between that and the way they concentrated all my weight on my ass, and pinned me in the seat, I hated them.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #3047
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post

YEAH.......!!!
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #3048
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
Here's my latest donor Sportster - a basically stock 03 XL883R. Cool how the look changes so much with just an exhaust change...

Really nice. The semi street tracker effect is where they should have went with them, like the XR 1000......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #3049
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Your bike has a really nice look to it...all the parts seem to go together instead of looking like they were tacked on.
Thanks! Gotta say tho, your XLX has me watching for a "Black Rain" fairing. My original intent when I bought the bike was to cafe it. Now feeling that I'd like something in between. Maybe a Shoie FM fairing would do?
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #3050
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Took my 48 in for its initial 1000 mile service this morning.

damn, you have had that thing for months. don't you ever ride it

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #3051
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it was a little overdue with around 1350 miles on it. But, you're right, I haven't been riding as much as I'd like. This has been a VERY busy year for me and as much as I'd like to ride more, I just haven't had the time. Just had WAY too many more important things going on. That combined with over a month of solid rain through June and July...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #3052
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Maybe if you got off the internet a while you'd have time to actually ride.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #3053
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
aww no he diuhnt!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3054
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
Well, other than the fact that I can't ride when at work, or out of town, and I don't ride after dark, you might have a point. The only time I have to ride is weekends and that's also when I have time to do all the other things I have to do too. Walk the last few months in my shoes, and then we can talk.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3055
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,331
Hallelujah

I just got back from a little 32 mile jaunt on the Roadster. I know that's normally not even worth mentioning, but it's been awhile. A little over 3 months ago I had a little kidney stone problem. Little problem, large stones. After those were blasted, things still didn't work right, so the doc decided he needed to open up my enlarged prostate. (Yeah, I'm an old fart.) The end result was that he ruled out motorcycles for the duration, but today he lifted the ban.

Even the weather was smiling on me. We have overcast and only 88 instead of the 100+ temps we've had the last couple of weeks. So I immediately went home from the doc's office, checked the air in the tires, fired it up and headed out of town. That was one of the best short rides I've ever done. I do love my Roadster. Nothing else feels quite the same.

I believe I even heard the bike say "Thank you" as I walked away after I parked it in the garage.

It will be the Electra Glide's turn this weekend.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #3056
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
That is a great looking bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Been doing some work om my Custom. Sort of finished for now with the forwards. Great improvement, much more comfy!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #3057
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Been doing some work om my Custom. Sort of finished for now with the forwards. Great improvement, much more comfy!

That is an awesome sporty. If I had one, it would be just like that...actually it would complement my cvo road glide nicely.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #3058
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Regarding comfort on mids, I am a taller guy and regardless of the shift lever placement the iron was*unbearable. That said its mostly the rediculously low seat height. My r was perfect with mids.
6'2" for the record
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #3059
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
hi Sportster peoples

how does the Harley folk here feel about the XR1200? i like it because its more a "standard" and looks sharp. i hope Harley continues with it sometime in the future for the U.S. market

i wish Harley would build something more then cruisers. i saw a company rep that said they started selling the XR1200 in the U.S. because their started to be a market for "those kinds of bikes." to which i thought 'wtf its a regular motorcycle. their has always been a market for it. just not a HARLEY market'

and apparently not anymore, either. it's gone for 2013. i like it, though. anybody know what the used market is like for these in Cali? prices competitive? i searched CycleTrader for "XR1200" but only XL's came up? sure looks like a good bike to ride

Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #3060
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,306
Buy an XR. Everybody hates you. It's a whole lotta fun. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote