Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #3061
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 471
It is a blast to ride. If your coming from the sportbike end of things, it will seem a bit sloow, expressly in the upper RPM range. The engine builds its power down low and redlines around 7k. There IS enough power to keep up with most sportbike riders on the street, it handles curve pretty well to if you set it up right. Look for the XR1200X as the suspension is a little better and can be made much better through the aftermarket.
Price can be all over. Folks on the XROG forum report they pay anywhere from $7000.00 to $9000.00 U.S. for low mileage bikes.
I have enjoyed mine;

Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #3062
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'd like an xr1200x parked next to my 72.

A few months before I bought my 72, I test rode the xr1200x. It was cool and I thought that was the bike I was going to get. I was gonna wait to save some money and buy one. Then I saw the 72 and was sold, took it home a few days later. The xrx still has a special place in my heart
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #3063
LondonGent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The XR1200 is a great bike; the closest that Harley has come to making a 'standard' motorcycle and yet they've pulled the plug on it! Ditto with Buell..
Someone in their marketing and r&d dept needs an interview without coffee.....
LondonGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #3064
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
If harley just could put that engine in a light weight CroMo rigid mount frame with those forks and rear swing and a DirtTrack style exhaust...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #3065
LondonGent
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
If harley just could put that engine in a light weight CroMo rigid mount frame with those forks and rear swing and a DirtTrack style exhaust...
Exactly! I've always thought the air cooled v twin is a great engine but Harley unfortunately surround it with less than effective cycle components..
Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #3066
Tiellswheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62

Did a 350 mile ride Friday. Slabbed out on I-80 to Hastings, then some back roads home.
"76 R90/6 (sold)
Tiellswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #3067
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGent View Post
Exactly! I've always thought the air cooled v twin is a great engine but Harley unfortunately surround it with less than effective cycle components..
Yep and not to mention every time H-D "uppgrade" anything it get at least 10 lbs added.
My '86 is a sub 450 bike now with just some minor mods, with close to 90 hp at the wheel it can run pretty good.
I'll never ever trade that for a porky rubbermont, ever
Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #3068
LondonGent
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
Yep and not to mention every time H-D "uppgrade" anything it get at least 10 lbs added.
My '86 is a sub 450 bike now with just some minor mods, with close to 90 hp at the wheel it can run pretty good.
I'll never ever trade that for a porky rubbermont, ever
It's the weight thing that made me trade in my Harley for a Japanese bike. I could never comprehend why a small sportster had to weigh nearly as much as a full size touring bike
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #3069
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Been doing some work om my Custom. Sort of finished for now with the forwards. Great improvement, much more comfy!

Can anyone tell me what this color combo is and why I cannot find it on HDs website in the States? Damn that's a good looking Sportster.
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #3070
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Can anyone tell me what this color combo is and why I cannot find it on HDs website in the States? Damn that's a good looking Sportster.

That's not a US spec bike. Harley offers some models and specific features differently for different markets. Not really sure why they'd offer the same model with different tank paint, really, but it appears that they do.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #3071
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
hi Sportster peoples

how does the Harley folk here feel about the XR1200?

I like it other than the dominating exhaust system
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #3072
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i like it, though. anybody know what the used market is like for these in Cali? prices competitive? i searched CycleTrader for "XR1200" but only XL's came up? sure looks like a good bike to ride
If you'll go a little north, Santa Maria HD has a '12 XR1200X, with the upgraded suspension.Black Denim. 3K miles, bone stock. they were asking $9,500. They have another shop in LA, maybe they'd move the bike there. They did that with my Sportster......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #3073
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
If you'll go a little north, Santa Maria HD has a '12 XR1200X, with the upgraded suspension.Black Denim. 3K miles, bone stock. they were asking $9,500. They have another shop in LA, maybe they'd move the bike there. They did that with my Sportster......
looks and sounds good. i'm not in the market quite yet but its good to get info early, and availability is part of that being this is a somewhat under bought bike. i don't see many out there. nice to know people who ride it like it, and even people who don't give it some props. sounds like an easy enough bike to live with day to day

a user also pm'd me about a bike he is selling. have to remember to drop him a note of thanks. this one is east of me a bit in Arizona. 3K miles, $7,000. if similar deals remain when i am buying i may be posting my own Sportster in this thread within the next several months!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #3074
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I'm ready for the next project, if anybody is interested in the sporty:

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/mcy/3961626092.html

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #3075
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Good luck with the sale!
I am ready for rear shocks that actually absorb road irregularities instead of poking my spine out the top of my head. My recent purchase of an '07 1200 Low is other wise making me smile but those suspenders have to go.
I have heard that E-Glide air shocks fit and can be found relatively cheap so perhaps that is the way to go for me.
The Toad
Yep. I picked up a set with 7k miles on them for $65.00 off the Bay. An $8.00 air line kit from O' Reilly's and I'm good with it. Cheap and effective. Guy's pull them off all the time to trade for "slammed" look shocks. Kinda like stock mufflers. Cheap and plentiful.......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote