Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #3136
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,005
Clyinn85, I rode an iron a few years ago and liked it a lot. The ride is a bit rough but otherwise it's a good bike. Should feel about the same as the superlow that you were on for reference.

I saw a 2014 iron on a showroom a few weeks ago, it has abs now and was a sharp looking bike. The one I saw was flat tan, looked like the desert army camo color. Dad almost was ready to trade in his softail for it.

I'm really missing my sportster. I did some horse trading for an ironhead and lost my 99 883 in the process. Didn't think I'd miss it but now I'm seriously considering trading the road king for a new 1200. I hate to give up the luggage capacity though. The RK is the only bike I've owned that can haul enough camping gear for 2 people. Doubt I'd get that with a sportster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #3137
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
ABS is an OPTION on All Sportsters in 2014. It is likely that most Sportsters in the showroom will be non-ABS.

Sand Cammo Denim is the color of the one you saw.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #3138
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
ABS is an OPTION on All Sportsters in 2014. It is likely that most Sportsters in the showroom will be non-ABS.

Sand Cammo Denim is the color of the one you saw.
Glad to hear that they can still be had without abs.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #3139
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Well after a full summer of missing my sportster but not fully wanting to give up the road king I just split the difference and traded for a dyna street bob. I pick it up tomorrow, I'll throw a pic up if I'm allowed to here in the sportster thread.

On the test ride it kind of felt in between the two. Sized close to the sportster since it has mids, still handles good, but smooth like the RK. Felt less like a touring bike and more like a big sportster if that makes sense. I think it'll be just enough for 2-up touring but still have that sporty feel on backroads. I hope so anyways, just wasted a bunch of money if not.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #3140
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
I spoke with the service manager at HD. He said it's not common, but does happen. He thinks it's because they are over filled with oil and it splashes too much on the housing causing them to crack, then ground out and melt.

I had not serviced mine since I bought it a few months ago since the seller said it had just been serviced. I figured I would go ahead and service it in an effort to get at least some of the junk out. When I drained the tank, I got nearly four quarts out, adding that to the quart I lost when the CPS failed, plus half a quart I've been getting out by cranking it over, I figure it had about five+ quarts of oil in it...

It was last serviced by the dealer that did the 1200 kit... Wow.

New CPS on order. Hope I don't have any other issues or damage.

Lesson learned is to service a used bike when you buy it, regardless of whether or not it had been before you bought it. My bad.
Well, it seems that when the CPS fails, the ignition module usually also fails. Nobody can seems to determine what goes first, but the CPS didn't fix the issue, even though it was obviously destroyed. The MAP sensor tested fine, the coil is fine, so that leaves the module. I have an adjustable one on order.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #3141
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
Well, it seems that when the CPS fails, the ignition module usually also fails. Nobody can seems to determine what goes first, but the CPS didn't fix the issue, even though it was obviously destroyed. The MAP sensor tested fine, the coil is fine, so that leaves the module. I have an adjustable one on order.
First time I've heard that. Most people replace the cps and are fine. Mine's been flawless after replacement . It is an 05, for whatever that's worth..
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #3142
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry for posting this here, I'm just kind of excited. Feels like a bigger sportster to me. Bars need to go soon. I was very comfortable on my sportster using stock risers for a 99 883C and stock bars for a 2001 xlh883. Might just do the same thing here. Having my arms up basically turns my body into a kite, I'm not real sure how guys ride like this.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #3143
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Question 48 suspension help

I was lucky today, scored a 2011 48 for a nice low price. Now that I have the bike, I have planed to raise the suspension to Roadster level. I know that I need to replace the compression damping rod and there is a great post in this thread. Can someone guied me to it? I have searched and Google searched without luck.

Help please!

rudolf35 screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 05:33 AM
rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #3144
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,189
^Randy will probably be around directly, but here you go:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2468
HapHazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3145
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Thumb Great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Randy will probably be around directly, but here you go:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2468
ADV comes through again!

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3146
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
First time I've heard that. Most people replace the cps and are fine. Mine's been flawless after replacement . It is an 05, for whatever that's worth..
Yeah. Spoke with another guy today that had to replace his CSP (he rides an '05 Roadster).

Hard to say which issue came first, but either way it'll be repaired and back on the road soon!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #3147
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I was lucky today, scored a 2011 48 for a nice low price. Now that I have the bike, I have planed to raise the suspension to Roadster level. I know that I need to pelace the compression dampning rod and there is a great post in this thread. Can someone guied me to it? I have searched and Google searched without luck.

Help please!
Yeah, that was one of my posts, but there were quite a few more that gave a little more detail about the parts I used. I think anyway... Maybe it was elsewhere....

You have a PM and a link to another thread on another forum, that may give you some more info.

Good luck.

And don't overlook my posts about my front brake upgrades! Between that and the suspension I've made a huge improvement in the way this bike performs. I'm happy with it now! And I did it all on a budget!

ETA: Yeah, here's a little more info on my suspension upgrades: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2467

And here's some info on the brake upgrade: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2092
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 08:33 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #3148
CLynn85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
So, Sportster riders, I have a conundrum. I've been pretty set on picking up an Iron 883 in Amber Whiskey ever since I rode the '11 Super Low last weekend. So I'm coming through Orange yesterday and stop at Waugh HD and they have a '12 Iron with 4,000 miles on it that I take out for a test ride.

It sucked! (Relatively). It didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as I remember the 883 SL being. It was really buzzy/vibey and hard to find a sweet spot for any given speed. What gives? Did I just have rose colored glasses on for the first one I rode, or is there some other difference between the SL and the Iron?

To make matters worse, I then stopped by the Yamaha dealer and rode a Bolt, just for grins, and it was phenomenal. The fit/finish/overall appearance is no where near the HD, but the ride was so much better. It was smooth, pulled harder, wasn't as rough on the backroads, etc.

I really like the look and the pedigree of the HD but the Bolt, which also comes in at $600 less after talking OTD prices, was the more enjoyable ride of the day.

Press on!
CLynn85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #3149
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,668
It doesn't surprise me at all that you preferred the Bolt over the Sportster, seems like most of the magazine testers did, too. Might see if you can ride a few more Sportsters before you make a decision, though.

Sarah
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3150
SpeedTorque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The super low is set up to be a nice ride, the rest are raw, that's what people buy Harleys for.
Don't kid yourself about the bolt, it's resale value will be poor and customizing is more difficult. I'm a big fan of the SL, yet most noobs always go Japanese for a few years, then sell it. They never get the biker bug...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
SpeedTorque is offline   Reply With Quote