Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #3241
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Those supertrapp pipes have the upswept 2 into 1 look just right....but the discs at the end of the pipe ruin the entire thing for me. I HATE the way those things look.
Haw! Ooookayyy...

Honestly they work so well they could hang a dog turd on the end and I'd live with that... well maybe not. That Sporty's too purty!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #3242
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
I have the same problem with my wheels, so I would be interested in knowing what others have done. What about bead blasting?
Mine looked like crap from ocean area living when I bought it. Used a brass bristle brush on the rough cast part. Mother's mag polish on the polished edge. Took some work, but they came out well. Maintain them with wheel cleaner and Mother's. Tried other stuff, but these worked the easiest and best. Less work then cleaning for painting. Done that with SEM wheel paint on others, but I wanted to keep these ally if I could...
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #3243
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
This pipe is nice, it's lightweight, not too loud, and functions perfectly.
Local independent shop has one on his used parts table. Gonna have to see if it'll fit my '05. Really like the look .
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #3244
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Local independent shop has one on his used parts table. Gonna have to see if it'll fit my '05. Really like the look .
I could be wrong, but I believe there would be problems running an exhaust designed for a rigid mount on a rubber mount bike due to the way the rear mount isolates the exhaust from vibes on the rubber mount bikes. The rubber mount engines move around quite a bit in the chassis so a solid chassis mounted rear exhaust hanger would most likely kill the pipe in short order. Of course, with a little creative mount fabrication it could maybe be made to work, IDK.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #3245
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Gonna go by and look at it. Then, get a look at mine to see if I can put something together using the factory mount.......
Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #3246
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Gonna go by and look at it. Then, get a look at mine to see if I can put something together using the factory mount.......
Yeah, it's worth a look.

If you figure something out, be sure to post up the details.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3247
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, it's worth a look.

If you figure something out, be sure to post up the details.

The bassist in one of my bands, "The Dentures", is a custom machineist and moto freak. I'm thinking between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we can put it together. He's currently making pieces for a vintage F 5000 car......
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #3248
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,203
^These same guys? They're good!

Instrumental surf guitar is one of my favorite music styles!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3249
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^These same guys? They're good!

Instrumental surf guitar is one of my favorite music styles!
Yep. Busted. That's me on drums. The lead player from "The Wavehogs" is playing with us now. We've gotten to play with Dick Dale a couple of times. Too much fun. Already knew his bassist, done some vintage drum trading with him. that's Jimmy Dale, Dick's son peaking around the curtain. He stayed for the whole set.........

bdonley screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 09:27 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #3250
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Very sporty looking with the skinny tires, chain drive, upswept exhaust. Lean and clean, I like it.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #3251
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Thanks Stan, it was cheap too... and yes, sportsters should all have 18" rear, 19" front. It should be a law or something..

bdonley, I suspect if you use the stock rear bracket as a starting point it shouldn't be to difficult to fab.. I fab'ed one for an FXR once, I'd been told Supertrapp had discontinued the FXR high pipe. AFTER I got finished a buddy showed me the bracket listed in the Supertrapp catalog. Oh well, never do it the easy way, that'd just be too, well, easy.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #3252
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
Very sporty looking with the skinny tires, chain drive, upswept exhaust. Lean and clean, I like it.

Hell yeah. Nice looking bike. Does anyone know what forks are good to swap on a 1200 sporty? Something that would give it better handling and be a bit shorter? So that it could have similar stance as a XR1200?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3253
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
It's such a great looking bike. Scrambler looking, but not GS ugly........
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #3254
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Does anyone know what forks are good to swap on a 1200 sporty? Something that would give it better handling and be a bit shorter? So that it could have similar stance as a XR1200?
I doubt they are shorter, but late model Honda xl600 forks are 39mm and from what I have read they slide/bolt right up to the stock sportster triple clamps and are a huge improvement.

I have never done it though... just read about it online and saw a bike with the xl600 forks.

Also, ANY tubes can be slid higher up into the stock sportster 39mm triple clamps to lower the front end. Its just the older 35mm triple clamps that took tapered tubes that could NOT be slid up to lower them. The 35mm to 39mm change occurred in 1987/88
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #3255
AlKay191
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Thanks Stan, it was cheap too... and yes, sportsters should all have 18" rear, 19" front. It should be a law or something..

bdonley, I suspect if you use the stock rear bracket as a starting point it shouldn't be to difficult to fab.. I fab'ed one for an FXR once, I'd been told Supertrapp had discontinued the FXR high pipe. AFTER I got finished a buddy showed me the bracket listed in the Supertrapp catalog. Oh well, never do it the easy way, that'd just be too, well, easy.
Great looking Sporty!

What/who did you use for rims? and what size are they?
I just recently picked up a project Sporty and want to prep it for street and track use. I will most likely end up with 2 sets of tires and wheels for each.
also, can you spill some info on the chain conversion? size and gearing?
Thanks!