ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #3256
davevv
One more old rider
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Just north of Dallas
Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Hell yeah. Nice looking bike. Does anyone know what forks are good to swap on a 1200 sporty? Something that would give it better handling and be a bit shorter? So that it could have similar stance as a XR1200?
Uh, if you want the XR1200 stance, couldn't you just use XR1200 parts?

Another idea, search on this forum for RTWdoug's Dirtster build. I think it's in the "Dickin' around in Doug's garage" thread in Old's Cool. IIRC, he used KTM forks on his '03 Sporty and they were a direct swap.
__________________
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything"--Wyatt Earp
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere.
'04 Sportster XL1200R
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #3257
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,149
@Alkay,

Those are 18X3.5" Excel rims on the rear, Excel 19X3.15" front, I forget where I got the spokes, online tho' and they're stock Harley hubs. 18" wheels are PERFECT for this bike. Turn in is quicker and handling overall much improved, the only downside is running tubes again.

I don't remember for certain but I think I got the sprockets from JP Cycles and they're 28 tooth front and 51 tooth rear. Got the chain on Ebay. Runs pretty good for dirt fire roads around here. I did mount a set of 15" progressive shocks on the rear but the chain gets into the swingarm pivot and really the stock shocks work very well for what I do so I pulled them off.

FWIW, I have a set of KTM forks I'd intended to use (as others have) They are LONG! You'll need to radically modify your rear suspension and or build a new swingarm to make it work. If you're looking for handling only you might look into Buell forks, I've seen a couple of those conversions. They're more work and head scratching but can be done as well. In the end I just stuck with what works easily and cheaply, the Sportster Sport front end with a fork brace.
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #3258
AlKay191
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlKay191's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On Florida beach or roaming the country
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
@Alkay,

Those are 18X3.5" Excel rims on the rear, Excel 19X3.15" front, I forget where I got the spokes, online tho' and they're stock Harley hubs. 18" wheels are PERFECT for this bike. Turn in is quicker and handling overall much improved, the only downside is running tubes again.

I don't remember for certain but I think I got the sprockets from JP Cycles and they're 28 tooth front and 51 tooth rear. Got the chain on Ebay. Runs pretty good for dirt fire roads around here. I did mount a set of 15" progressive shocks on the rear but the chain gets into the swingarm pivot and really the stock shocks work very well for what I do so I pulled them off.

FWIW, I have a set of KTM forks I'd intended to use (as others have) They are LONG! You'll need to radically modify your rear suspension and or build a new swingarm to make it work. If you're looking for handling only you might look into Buell forks, I've seen a couple of those conversions. They're more work and head scratching but can be done as well. In the end I just stuck with what works easily and cheaply, the Sportster Sport front end with a fork brace.
Thanks!
Is that a 520 or 530 chain?

I plan on keeping my project simple. I already picked up a set of stock 1200S shocks, RaceTech fork springs and Emulators, fork brace and steering damper for stock forks. Got a Supertrapp just like yours too.

I also have a 18x4.5 Sun rim laced up to stock H-D rear and will probably lace up a 17x3 to the front to run slicks for track days. Bridgestone still makes a 155x18 slick. Need to find a dual disc front hub.
Your wheels look perfect for street use. I'd love to get a set like that instead of mags ...
__________________
I'm the root of all thats evil, but you can call me Cookie.
AlKay191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #3259
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKay191 View Post
Thanks!
Is that a 520 or 530 chain?

I plan on keeping my project simple. I already picked up a set of stock 1200S shocks, RaceTech fork springs and Emulators, fork brace and steering damper for stock forks. Got a Supertrapp just like yours too.

I also have a 18x4.5 Sun rim laced up to stock H-D rear and will probably lace up a 17x3 to the front to run slicks for track days. Bridgestone still makes a 155x18 slick. Need to find a dual disc front hub.
Your wheels look perfect for street use. I'd love to get a set like that instead of mags ...
It's 530. Honestly in retrospect I wish I'd saved the money from the chain and sprockets and spent it elsewhere. I know you're not supposed to run dirt with belt drives and to do so risks certain death or dismemberment but I could have easily just spent that money on a set of Thunderstorm heads/pistons... I've had rocks go through belts before, luckily in the center of the belt, and nothing happened. One Buell I ran the belt another couple of thousand miles and you couldn't see any additional wear, signs of strain or anything. Oh well, just rambling...

Your suspenders should work really well. I've heard nothing but good about the emulators.

I'd really like to find 18 and 19 mag setup for a reasonable amount of money. $1000 per wheel is just not reasonable to me..
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #3260
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer
 
gusanito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post

I'd really like to find 18 and 19 mag setup for a reasonable amount of money. $1000 per wheel is just not reasonable to me..
Some of he late '70's Sportsters came with 2.5x18" 9 spoke rear mags. You can pick them up at swap meets for ~$75 and will bolt right up with new spacers. The pulley has to be spaced out 5/16" to make up for the offset.

This is on my '96 XL1200S.







As far as cleaning up an old wheel, I go through the standard aluminum polishing procedure on the parts I want shiny, then mask them off and use engine enamel in a spray can. The wheels below for my FLH were from the '70s.

Before



After

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #3261
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I'd really like to find 18 and 19 mag setup for a reasonable amount of money. $1000 per wheel is just not reasonable to me..
I have a 19'' front wheel and 18'' rear wheel on my sportster too.

19'' fronts are easy to find in either spoke or mag, no problem here.

Here is a tip for CHEAP rear 18'' wheels:

1979-1981 sportsters had 16'' spoke, 16'' mag, 18'' spoke, or 18'' mag rear wheel options... AND they are disc brake wheels. They are a direct swap for all chain drive EVO Sportsters. To use them on a belt drive bike, you need to make some spacers, but its easy.

Alternatively, buy a 1957-1981 OEM Sportster rear spoked wheel, take it apart, and lace the 18'' rim to your later model hub. The same old spokes will even work. These old 18'' spoked Ironhead wheels are cheap and easy to find at swap meets and on Ebay... it seems like the Harley guys want their fat 16''.

From 1959-78, the 18'' and 19'' spoke wheels could come with optional ALUMINIUM rims. These look sweet, and are pretty light. Again, just take the old wheels apart, and lace then rims to our late model hubs, using the old original spokes. You're going to pay extra for the aluminium rims though, but still much cheaper than buying new Excel (or any brand) ones.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #3262
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Some of he late '70's Sportsters came with 2.5x18" 9 spoke rear mags. You can pick them up at swap meets for ~$75 and will bolt right up with new spacers. The pulley has to be spaced out 5/16" to make up for the offset.

This is on my '96 XL1200S
Sidecar, the 18" spoke wheels I can handle... Just gotten lazy and want tubeless. I've seen 19" front mags on the rear of a sportster but the tire's too narrow in my opinion.

We have two swap meets worth attending in Colorado... I go to a few smaller ones two but I've never seen the 18" rear mags at any of them.

My Bro' in law lives in Western PA and goes to swap meets all up and down the east coast and inland. I guess I'll need to have him put this on the list!

woodnbow screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 10:07 AM
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3263
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 476
I believe that the old HD brand 18'' mag wheels require tubes...

I have an 18'' rear mag wheel on my 1978 XLH, and the original owners manual that came with the bike says that it requires a tube (both the wheel and manual are original to the bike). I have heard of people running tubeless tires on the old HD mags, but I have no personal experience with it and my 1978 owners manual explicitly says to use a tube... so I do.

It was (and its) required that tubeless rims say "tubeless" on them somewhere... but the old HD mags do NOT.

It wasn't until 1982 that the HD mags started to have the word "TUBELESS" cast into them... but by 1982 the MoCo was no longer making rear 18'' wheels.

Maybe Gusanito has some advice on this. Gusanito, do you run a tube in your 18'' rear mag??
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #3264
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer
 
gusanito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Sidecar, the 18" spoke wheels I can handle... Just gotten lazy and want tubeless. I've seen 19" front mags on the rear of a sportster but the tire's too narrow in my opinion.
Phil Little sells adapters that allow you to use the more common 19" nine spoke front in the rear. The problem is finding suitable rear street tires for it. The only 19" rear tires I found were for flat track racing and not street legal.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post

Maybe Gusanito has some advice on this. Gusanito, do you run a tube in your 18'' rear mag??
No, I run it tubeless. Never had a problem.
I don't care for tubes either.

gusanito screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 11:31 AM
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #3265
AlKay191
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlKay191's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On Florida beach or roaming the country
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Phil Little sells adapters that allow you to use the more common 19" nine spoke front in the rear. The problem is finding suitable rear street tires for it. The only 19" rear tires I found were for flat track racing and not street legal.

Avon still makes this universal tire and I've thought about running 4.10x19 rear and 3.50x19 front. They also still make a 19in front/rear race compound tire at twice the cost.


http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Universal.../dp/B000GRP03O



No, I run it tubeless. Never had a problem.
I don't care for tubes either.
Good to know! I got one of them and it should be easy enough to find matching front.
__________________
I'm the root of all thats evil, but you can call me Cookie.
AlKay191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #3266
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,176
And while I have no idea how cost effective it may be, if someone wanted an 18" mag rear to match the factory 9 spoke front, but wanted one a little wider than the older narrow stock ones, there are companies like Kosman that can widen the rims, and most likely make the bead seat area more suitable for tubeless use.

How's the tire selection for 18"x 2.5" rear rims? Been a few years since I've looked for 18" rears....
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #3267
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer
 
gusanito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
How's the tire selection for 18"x 2.5" rear rims? Been a few years since I've looked for 18" rears....

Plenty of brand choices for 18" rear tires.
Avon, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Shinko, Continental, Kenda, etc.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #3268
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Thanks Stan, it was cheap too... and yes, sportsters should all have 18" rear, 19" front. It should be a law or something..
Amen to that, although I have to admit Bronson's looked OK with a 21" front.

__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #3269
Weldman
Studly Adventurer
 
Weldman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 998
God that's gorgeous ...
__________________
Nawfick, Virginny
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #3270
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,149
Wow! Love that bike, hated the 2.2 gallon tank
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014