Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #3316
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,657
^^^^Yup, what the other guys are saying. Sportsters will do big miles with little drama. Easy maint. cheap-plentiful parts, cheap/er insurance rates, large after market support, Dealers spread out in every state, 1200"s are faster than any non owner will ever admit. Hell, they even crash well. Whats not to like?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #3317
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post

Wow.
Yeah, after seeing a British Customs Triumph Scrambler on display at the IWS, a couple of weeks ago, I've been jonesin' for a scrambler pretty bad again.

In fact, after seeing this video a couple of years ago I had been planning to build something similar. Then I caught the Sporty bug...

Now I'm torn between following through with my original plan of building my own Triumph based version or building a Sporty.

Can't afford a new bike project right now anyway so I have time to consider...

While I like some aspects of the Burly build, this one from Wrench Monkees has an overall more balanced look, IMO...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #3318
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

While I like some aspects of the Burly build, this one from Wrench Monkees has an overall more balanced look, IMO...

That's such a great looking bike. Wouldn't change a thing. Wow, who was reading my mind? Was really torn between a Triumph scrambler when I bought my Sporty...

bdonley screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 09:42 AM
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #3319
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
That's such a great looking bike. Wouldn't change a thing. Wow, who was reading my mind? Was really torn between a Triumph scrambler when I bought my Sporty...
Yeah, for the most part me neither... At least not much... from that side...

But from the right?

Might have to go a different route on the tank to avoid the need for the cut-outs... and then, I'm not so sure about the exhaust.

But, overall, I LOVE the way it looks...

This one is built on a rubber mount, but I'm still leaning toward a rigid mount. Just need to actually sample one to see if I find the vibes objectionable. Then maybe sell off a couple of bikes, stick the money in a jar, and start cruising Craigslist regularly....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:58 AM
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #3320
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, for the most part me neither... At least not much... from that side...

But from the right?

Might have to go a different route on the tank to avoid the need for the cut-outs... and them, I'm not so sure about the exhaust.

But, overall, I LOVE the way it looks...

This one is built on a rubber mount, but I'm still leaning toward a rigid mount. Just need to actually sample one to see if I find the vibes objectionable. Then maybe sell off a couple of bikes, stick the money in a jar, and start cruising Craigslist regularly....
+1 on the tank cutouts & pipe.
If rubber mount, the RSD Tracker would be good.

The question of vibration on a rigid mount is personal. My 883 passes through rpm bands of more and less vibes, but they're always there.
Only you can tell if you can live with them.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #3321
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Every year I get the urge to buy a Sporster and start tinkering.
I love the look of the 883 Iron, and the Forty-Eight,

I wish they put the 1200 in the Iron,

These pictures aren't helping,

I had this for a while, but I left it stock,
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #3322
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I don't really see the need for the cutouts, at least from that angle. It's probably just for looks (at least from this angle) but you would clear the heads with a straight line, unless it has something to do with the fuel injection.
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #3323
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
+1 on the tank cutouts & pipe.
If rubber mount, the RSD Tracker would be good.

The question of vibration on a rigid mount is personal. My 883 passes through rpm bands of more and less vibes, but they're always there.
Only you can tell if you can live with them.
Yeah, I considered the RSD as a possibility even though I'm not sure how it'd work with rearsets. But, there's plenty of options as far as the exhaust goes. For a rubber mount, although pricey, I sorta like the BuB one from Storz...

About the vibration... yeah, I just need to ride one myself to see how I feel about it. I've read everything from, "it'll shake your teeth out!" to "it's not bad at all." My KTM makes my damn EYEBALLS vibrate at certain RPM! But, the frequency is different and vibes can be a pretty subjective thing, so there's only one way for me to know if it'll bother me or not... Guess I need to stop by my local dealer every now and then and maybe I'll get lucky and find them with a used one someday so I can blag a ride...
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #3324
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishdishwishfish View Post
I don't really see the need for the cutouts, at least from that angle. It's probably just for looks (at least from this angle) but you would clear the heads with a straight line, unless it has something to do with the fuel injection.

According to their website it's carbureted. Looking at the area above the rocker covers on my FI model there's nothing higher than the inner corners of the rocker boxes. Like you said, from that angle it's hard to say for sure but drawing a quick line along the bottom does appear to interfere with the rocker boxes just a tad on the right side. And on the rubber mounts the engine does move around in relation to the rest of the chassis a bit, but if the tank was raised just a little it'd probably not need the cut-outs even if it does now.

The tank makes a big difference in the way a bike looks, and with the exception of the 2.2 gallon peanut tank I'm not too crazy about any of the stock Sporty tanks, and it's just too small for a bike like this, IMO Wonder what the tank is from... looks sorta like something from some 80's Japanese bike or another. Finding old tanks and adapting them for a project like this isn't too difficult, at least for the carb'd models, but knowing what'll work is another matter... Fab'in up mounts is one thing, but my welding skills aren't good enough to open up a tank to modify the frame tube tunnel, so I'd need something that fits, looks right, with the right scale, lines and all, and just needs mounting, cleaning up and paint. Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #3325
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Every year I get the urge to buy a Sporster and start tinkering.
I love the look of the 883 Iron, and the Forty-Eight,

I wish they put the 1200 in the Iron,

The Iron is their bargain, entry level bike so, it's an 883. But, the Nightster is very similar in overall look, and with the 1200 engine. They're pretty plentiful on the used market. Pick one up and tinker away!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #3326
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 385
and any 883 Sportster can be converted to a 1200 with kit available from Harley-Davidson ... it's a common mod that has been done by many 883 owners with the benefits of not only more power, but also of maintaining the insurance rate of the original lower-displacement engine while running 1200cc's!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #3327
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I sold my Sportster a few weeks ago, I still have my Versys, and Vstrom.

I ended up with the Sportster when my wife quit riding.. I changed it around to what I wanted (19" front wheel, mid controls, solo seat, 1200R shocks, progressive fork springs, fork brace..).. It became my "go to" bike when I needed to run a errand etc., because it was easy just to get on it, and go.

I even rode it on a 2000K trip to the mountains, and it performed great..

My riding buddies will puke, but I really miss it, might be one of my favorite bikes, easy to work on, decent handling, easy to ride... Someday I'm gonna have another one....maybe even my only bike...

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #3328
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I sold my Sportster a few weeks ago, I still have my Versys, and Vstrom.

I ended up with the Sportster when my wife quit riding.. I changed it around to what I wanted (19" front wheel, mid controls, solo seat, 1200R shocks, progressive fork springs, fork brace..).. It became my "go to" bike when I needed to run a errand etc., because it was easy just to get on it, and go.

I even rode it on a 2000K trip to the mountains, and it performed great..

My riding buddies will puke, but I really miss it, might be one of my favorite bikes, easy to work on, decent handling, easy to ride... Someday I'm gonna have another one....maybe even my only bike...

It's eerie how your posts seem pulled directly from my brain sometimes.

I've been wondering if putting an aftermarket exhaust on my Strom would give me back some of the sensation that I miss about my Sporty.
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #3329
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
and any 883 Sportster can be converted to a 1200 with kit available from Harley-Davidson ... it's a common mod that has been done by many 883 owners with the benefits of not only more power, but also of maintaining the insurance rate of the original lower-displacement engine while running 1200cc's!
You don't even need to go that far. A high air flow intake, good set of exhaust and dial it in (remap it) with a SE race tuner and you are within 1-2 hp and 2-3 flbs of torque of a stock 1200 without going inside. (but then again you can do the same to the 1200 and go to the next level)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #3330
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
The new Iron in Amber Whiskey is quite impressive,