Nice XLX. What seat is that?
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #3557
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Thanks. It's a seat from a 1990's 883 Deluxe. Just picked it up from eBay a few weeks ago...thought it would look kind of retro on the bike. Pretty comfortable, too. I ust put the Progressive shocks on 2 days ago, so this seat pic has the stock shocks on it.

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #3558
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
I bought a new 1984 XLX1000 that year. I was 3 and it was my first of two Sportsters (so far). I left mine 100% stock. It was all black. Flat black handlebars, exhaust, etc. I got 66 miles per US gallon easily riding on my 65 mile commute into Seattle. The bike had a few problems. The tank rusted through with a pin hole after a year or two. It could not have been coated inside properly. Something broke in the clutch release under the side cover. That fixed under warranty, and was a rare problem on those. It pinged a bit no matter what gas I used on warm days going up hills. Usually a slight throttle change would fix that. The four speed had a fairly large jump between 3rd and 4th, but no big deal. The big looked great, was a blast to ride, and I loved it. That 4 speed 1000XLX always made me laugh when HD went from the 5 speed to the 6 speed on their Twin Cams. Then HD tried to tell everyone that they just had to upgrade to the new 6 speed on their torque monster Twin Cam bikes. Also, Twin Cam owners are all over themselves going from chain drive cams to having the gear driven cam kits installed. Sporty's come with gear driven cams from the factory.

My wife's great nephew is staying with us for a while. He had just bought a new '14 XL883N (also known as the Iron model). Makes me want to get my 3rd Sportster. Sportsters are hands down my favorite HD. This from a 60 year old rider of fifty two plus years.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #3559
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
No affiliation. Just thought someone might be interested...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...&postcount=923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
The shocks have been sold in the last half hour. However I have not yet been paid. But that should happen soon.
If it doesn't, They are model 444-4008 13 inch, Black bodies and chrome standard springs (no one has that!) Also included are black heavy duty springs if you are a real big man or woman. 300 bucks plus shipping. About 500 or so miles on the shocks. Used for a part of one season here in ct. These shocks are exactly perfect for a rubbermount sporty and a 185 lb rider. Shipping to US mainland only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
The shocks are back up for sale. 300 plus shipping. 203 414 six nine 3 eight or PM me. Southern CT
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #3560
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I bought a new 1984 XLX1000 that year. I was 3 and it was my first of two Sportsters (so far). I left mine 100% stock. It was all black. Flat black handlebars, exhaust, etc...
Yeah, I've prettied-up my XLX, but I kept all the stock bits so I can make it original again when I want to. Black exhaust, little solo seat, black bars, stock tank, etc. Here's a pic of it with the original tank and black bars...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #3561
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Beauty! Mine came with flatter bars and just a speedometer. It was the budget model. No passenger footpegs.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #3562
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
That's exactly the bike I wanted when I was in high school back in the day. I lusted away many an hour looking at pics of that bike. Gorgeous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Yeah, I've prettied-up my XLX, but I kept all the stock bits so I can make it original again when I want to. Black exhaust, little solo seat, black bars, stock tank, etc. Here's a pic of it with the original tank and black bars...

Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #3563
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Those are the original bars, same ones that came on the XR1000. Maybe the angle of my picture makes them look higher. Mine didn't come with passenger pegs, either. The tach is an optional kit that H-D sold for the XLX. Anyway, here's the original ad...

Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #3564
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Yes. That's the one!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #3565
rathawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I see this posted on various forums all the time. While I understand that certain physical disabilities may prevent it, I'd say that most reasonably fit people can pick up a fallen bike if they use the proper technique.

One problem is that most people aren't too willing to purposely lay their bike over just to practice picking it up so they never feel confident that they could if needed. But watch the videos below so if and when you ever need it you'll at least understand the technique. Hell, I'm not a big guy and it's worked for me with my 1150GS twice so far. Once even with it fully loaded with bags and gear, and on very uneven ground. And the GS is heavier and MUCH taller, so I'd expect the Sportster to be a piece of cake. I had watched a similar video a long time ago so when the day finally came and I needed it, I remembered the technique. It was much easier than I expected.

This first video is with a pretty big gal but she explains some things a little better than the next two videos of smaller women doing the same thing...

Smaller woman doin' it...

And yet another little girl...

It works!
should you really wake a sleeping sportster?

Only if its yours...
rathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #3566
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I think I need a new pair of shocks,everytime I hit a square edge bump like Rail road tracks,rain ruts or a pothole the back end sharply bottoms out and sends the impact jarring thru the seat directly to my spine.Shocks aren't leaking and I don't have 3 thousand on them yet but they need to go.Any suggestions w out breaking the bank.its a 97 Sporty Xl 883.I don't want shorty 2 inch suspension on it either.I want the most suspension and comfortable est ride I can get.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #3567
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
^Here ya go-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2966
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #3568
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Thanks a million haphazardI was looking at the progressive 997s or 914s me thinks,the ones w built on rezzies till I see the price of them,230 for shocks is even better what Im looking to spend.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #3569
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I felt like the air shocks of a touring bike were a good investment for my sportster. About 100$ or so used. TONS of them around.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #3570
yellowcarbon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I saw this in the parking lot of the International Motorcycle Show here in Phoenix a few weeks ago. It even had a puddle of oil under it to keep it real.

yellowcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote