Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #3646
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
I love your scramster build. So how long does it take to change a belt in a gravel parking lot?
Thank you man! The high pipe moves the exhaust out of the way of the the pulley cover and associated hardware (part of the reason I wanted to build the bike this way). Dis-assembly and reassembly took about 20-30 min .... Then I realized that I forgot to tighten the lock nut for the tensioner pulley. Finding IT in the gravel lot took about 40 min.

I replaced the used belt with a brand new one a couple of days ago. With the proper tools in hand it only took about 15min. One tip, you don't have to remove the wheel to change a belt. Simply remove the lower shock bolt on the drive side and swing the shock up and out of the way. To get the weight off of the bike just "push" the weight of the bike onto the kickstand being careful not to shove it on it's side.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #3647
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
Did you make that hi pipe your self?

I did all of the cutting , bending and tack welding. A friend of mine finish welded the pipe for me.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #3648
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, I dig bench seats on the scramblers. Here's one that looks factory in execution, IMO. Of course, if building, or having one built, you can choose your own contour and thickness to suit your longer inseam requirements.

And here's another that's pretty damn thick...

Hey Randy, any info on these two bikes?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #3649
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Hey Randy, any info on these two bikes?
Not really. I just collect pictures of interesting bikes, or custom bikes with interesting design elements. I found these two a while back with a Google image search using the search term "Sportster Scrambler". I've found quite a lot of cool ideas that way. Some of the pics that come up will lead to more detailed descriptions and build threads, but a lot of them don't.

The red one was supposedly built by a company called Monsoon which I guess is a company based somewhere in Europe.

More pics of it can be seen here:

http://duecilindri.blogspot.com/2011...y-monsoon.html

I particularly liked it because it looks almost factory. Dare I say it? Almost what I would expect Honda to have built if they had built a Sportster clone of Scrambler back in the 80's or 90's. Maybe it's the seat, red paint, gold rims, and front fender that gives me that impression, IDK....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 07:40 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #3650
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 270
Pulled this pic off of Randy's link. The seat is made by an Italian company but when I enlarge it, I can't quite make it out. Starts with an "A" and end in "ti". Someone more familiar with Italian seat makers, may be able to figure it out.

I also found these two seats made by the japanese Co. Easyriders; no relation to the American Mag. When you go to their website and look up the distributors in the USA, none of them carry the seats. However, I did find an importer who has them listed in US dollars in their store. So, it appears that these may be available for us purchase. They are not exactly "bench seats" more of a cobra style. Still an alternative for a scrambler seat because the contour is quite a bit flatter than many others.

Link to the distributor easyrider cobra seat

Last, and probably the direction I will eventually go, is a seat made by Mustang. The Dayttripper. While searching their site a few weeks ago I noticed many of their seats can have custom options now. Among them is the Daytripper; the option is the tuck and roll on the seat panel. I spoke with a customer service rep yesterday and her comment was that the Daytripper, with the tuck and roll option, will have a very similar look and profile to the standard seat they make for the Triumph Bonneville and Scrambler.

Seat made for the Triumph.

The Daytripper panel will have a hour glass shape; narrowing in the center. Still a good retro look, while keeping the sporty lines. The Mustang seat will be very "pricey" BTW.

Regards

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)

rodteague screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 06:10 AM
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #3651
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post

I also found these two seats made by the japanese Co. Easyriders; no relation to the American Mag. When you go to their website and look up the distributors in the USA, none of them carry the seats. However, I did find an importer who has them listed in US dollars in their store. So, it appears that these may be available for us purchase. They are not exactly "bench seats" more of a cobra style. Still an alternative for a scrambler seat because the contour is quite a bit flatter than many others.

Looks kind of like the Biltwell HB

Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #3652
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
It resembles this '82 Sportster seat, too...

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #3653
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

The cover pattern does look remarkably like that older model, only with a less pronounced "step" between rider and pillion. I'd bet the Japanese company making the newer one got their inspiration from that older model. A lot of the Japanese HD culture is base on the nostalgia for things very much a part of "Americana", so why not use old stuff, redone or updated for newer bikes? The Japanese bike scene is awesome. They have SO many things available over there that we never see stateside.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #3654
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Just remove the shock bolt instead of the wheel ... goddamn that's genius. I'll tuck that little tidbit away in the brainpan. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Thank you man! The high pipe moves the exhaust out of the way of the the pulley cover and associated hardware (part of the reason I wanted to build the bike this way). Dis-assembly and reassembly took about 20-30 min .... Then I realized that I forgot to tighten the lock nut for the tensioner pulley. Finding IT in the gravel lot took about 40 min.

I replaced the used belt with a brand new one a couple of days ago. With the proper tools in hand it only took about 15min. One tip, you don't have to remove the wheel to change a belt. Simply remove the lower shock bolt on the drive side and swing the shock up and out of the way. To get the weight off of the bike just "push" the weight of the bike onto the kickstand being careful not to shove it on it's side.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #3655
r1oors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post
Thought I'd post some updated pics of my sportster build.

Regards

Rod
Rod,
What pipe is that you're running?? I have the stock R 2 into 1 and I'm thinking a not-so-muffled slip-on muffler would be nicer than the stocker.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #3656
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

If Rod doesn't come along directly to answer your question, you can check his build thread (link in his sig.). But, I think I remember it having Screaming Eagle slip-ons prior to him building his custom header. He reused one of the slip-ons on the new header.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #3657
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 557
Any info on this bike? Not sure if it's been posted before. This seems like a decent mod. I'd ride it.

GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #3658
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Any info on this bike? Not sure if it's been posted before. This seems like a decent mod. I'd ride it.

Interesting...

Looks like a solid mount Sportster with a Buell front end, and Hinckley Triumph tank and seat grafted on. Not sure about the rear fender... maybe Hinckley again? And is the swingarm also a modified Buell piece, or is that stock HD? Rear wheel is probably Buell.

Pretty cool way to play with the minds of the Triumph faithful at a bike gathering...

And another interesting thing about this one is a recent discussion here about bench seats. This looks to be a stock Triumph piece. Not sure what was done to adapt it to the Sportster, but it does look well integrated. And, I do know that flat bench seats for Triumph Bonnevilles and Scramblers are available from several sources including stock on the Scrambler. I've seen several versions a while back when I had the hots to modify a Triumph Scrambler along the lines of the Hammarhead Jack Pine bike.

Randy screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 03:27 PM
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #3659
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 429
This one always gives me a woody:

Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #3660
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
This one always gives me a woody:

YESSIR! That gives me a moto permaboner! That's what that does!

Any info on it?