Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #3781
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Would you all think I'd need to start with just a couple of scrubbers per pipe, or use several and pack them tight?

Sarah
I agree with Rod. I wouldn't recommend overdoing it by packing it tight. I'd start out by fuffing up a pad or two, depending on how much space you have to work with. Having a larger area lightly packed with loose material will likely be more effective at attenuating sound levels without causing to much impedance to exhaust flow. The exhaust pressure will likely pack it down over time anyway, and then it'll also accumulate some carbon buildup as well.

While it may be a hassle to remove the exhaust several times, I'd start out light and test for volume levels and how the engine runs before adding more and testing again. If your bike is still jetted for the stock exhaust though, you won't see too much difference with some resistance since the stock exhaust is much more restrictive than the Cycle Shacks. But, you still don't want to plug it up too much.

I recommended lollipops earlier because of the way they work, and the fact that they allow some adjustability. The ones I built work fine on my bike because of the way my exhaust is designed. With the muffler body diameter being constant I was able to make them of a large enough diameter to close off enough to be effective while still allowing them to be inserted in the muffler from the rear. With the taper's smaller diameter exit I'm not sure how they will install. If you make them small enough to be inserted and were to install them in the same place as mine (larger dia. portion of muffler body), they may not be big enough to be effective. If I had a set of tapers to look at I could probably figure out a way to build something that would work. Maybe just forward of the baffle and just as the pipe starts to get bigger after the inlet pipe? I believe that the lollipops were originally designed and intended to break up inversion waves in "drag pipes" to improve low end response and torque, but they also do break up the sound waves and offer some sound attenuation as well. One of the advantages to them is that they allow adjustment, from zero to full effect, without having to remove the mufflers from the bike. Just loosen the locknut, turn the bolt a little, and retighten. I cut a slot in the end of the bolt inline with the head of the lollipop portion, both so I could see the orientation from the outside, and also so I could use a screwdriver to hold the bolt while tightening the locknut.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 07:27 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #3782
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I've have more issues the other way. Had a group of ADV people roll through Mena, Ar and I'm on my big cruiser. I spot them at a motel and decide to off up some secret riding places for them. When I roll up half walk off and the one standing there was a jerk with all the hate pouring out and then he walked off. What looked to be the oldest guy got up and wandered over to talk. Great guy, those ADV guys are the worst I have seen about prejudice. If I'd been on the Klr in my klim gear then I'd been in like Flynn.

Just one mans story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, while my experience at my local bike night (post just above yours) wasn't as extreme as that, I have found that prejudice does flow both ways.

Sad thing is, looking back on my past, I realize that I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. Judging people by the machine they're riding really closes your mind from meeting and learning about different people and experiences. Being on the receiving end of it has taught me a valuable lesson about that and has opened my mind, allowing me to make some friends that I may not have otherwise made back in my earlier days.

Being a more diverse rider myself, now no matter what I'm riding I'll strike up conversations with other riders no matter what they're on that day. You just never know what other bikes, and type of riding, a rider may have and enjoy. I have met other riders that were riding something that may not appeal to me, but when talking to them learned that they also had other bikes, some of which were things more interesting to me. Moral of the lesson is that we're all people and we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3783
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
can't stay away from this thread, one of my favorites.
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
a rigid mount factory 1200 and it had to be cheap.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
the best part was the price.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #3784
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
DAMN! What a deal!

Seeing a deal like that makes me want to start saving my pennies and cruising Craigslist regularly.... I MUST RESIST!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #3785
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
$1750.00
back in the foal.
Man, she cleaned up real nice! What a deal, any plans for mods? Enjoy it either way!

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #3786
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post
Keep in mind that your engine has to have a free flow exhaust to work properly. Back pressure is bad; think of the old "potato" in the tail pipe gag. Your pipes and baffles were designed to maximize flow and heat retention. Your baffles in particular are designed to attenuate sound; the pipes then have to compensate for the impediment of flow. Exhaust builders do that by increasing diameter of the tail section. All this to make your neighbors and lawmakers happy.

Anything you stuff in there will effect performance. The earlier suggestion of a "lollipop" baffle would be your best option, because it will allow you to adjust for optimal sound and performance. The link below is one company that makes this type of device. Check them out before you attempt to stuff anything inside. If you decide to use the "pot scubbers" don't pack them tight. Start with one and be sure to use some sort of retention device so they can be easily removed. Run your bike to check for any changes in performance. Add or remove packing accordingly. Best of luck!

Link: Thunder Torque inserts

Regards

Rod
Lotsa good info there Rod, I've never seen the Thunder Torq product before. Pretty cool stuff for two into two systems!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #3787
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Damn vern!

That's got to be the best score I've ever heard of on a Sportster. Jeebus!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #3788
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
$1750.00
back in the foal.
Dood, you just stole one of the best model Sportsters ever made! Dual plug Buell lightening heads, Buell cams. Dual map ignition module, Showa fully adjustable suspension, dual front disks, 10:1 compression. Just a few things that come to mind. Change the fork oil and put a fork brace on it. Check the suspension settings to make sure they're all at the same midpoint setting before fiddling with them. Mine dynoed at 75hp and 79 ft/lbs at 5200 rpm after I installed a Vance and Hines header, air cleaner and jetted it proper. HD discontinued it after only a few years. Sad that the fringe and concho crowd just didn't get it.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #3789
r1oors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I've have more issues the other way. Had a group of ADV people roll through Mena, Ar and I'm on my big cruiser. I spot them at a motel and decide to off up some secret riding places for them. When I roll up half walk off and the one standing there was a jerk with all the hate pouring out and then he walked off. What looked to be the oldest guy got up and wandered over to talk. Great guy, those ADV guys are the worst I have seen about prejudice. If I'd been on the Klr in my klim gear then I'd been in like Flynn. Just one mans story.
You never know what people pick up on to trigger prejudice. Who knows, maybe it's the big scar on my cheek and the prison tattoo on my neck that lead people to believe I ride a Harley.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #3790
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,541
Go Sportsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yep, while my experience at my local bike night (post just above yours) wasn't as extreme as that, I have found that prejudice does flow both ways.

Sad thing is, looking back on my past, I realize that I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. Judging people by the machine they're riding really closes your mind from meeting and learning about different people and experiences. Being on the receiving end of it has taught me a valuable lesson about that and has opened my mind, allowing me to make some friends that I may not have otherwise made back in my earlier days.

Being a more diverse rider myself, now no matter what I'm riding I'll strike up conversations with other riders no matter what they're on that day. You just never know what other bikes, and type of riding, a rider may have and enjoy. I have met other riders that were riding something that may not appeal to me, but when talking to them learned that they also had other bikes, some of which were things more interesting to me. Moral of the lesson is that we're all people and we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

I agree whole heartily, I have found myself saying things that are not right when I was younger and could not see why anyone would ride something beside a sport bike. Whether super sport or sport touring. I would say being raised on the back of a Harley has given advantage when I was in sport bikes and talking with the m/c crowd.

I will say this, I have feel in love with the sportster power plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #3791
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Dood, you just stole one of the best model Sportsters ever made! Dual plug Buell lightening heads, Buell cams. Dual map ignition module, Showa fully adjustable suspension, dual front disks, 10:1 compression. Just a few things that come to mind. Change the fork oil and put a fork brace on it. Check the suspension settings to make sure they're all at the same midpoint setting before fiddling with them. Mine dynoed at 75hp and 79 ft/lbs at 5200 rpm after I installed a Vance and Hines header, air cleaner and jetted it proper. HD discontinued it after only a few years. Sad that the fringe and concho crowd just didn't get it.
I knew it had all the good bits on it, that's why I jumped on it. always liked the "s" model.
the seller posted it at midnight and I called him around 8am. I think the location in st louis kept a few panty waists from going down to check it out. I did a drive by and the bike was sitting out front with the seller and his dad outside the house. early enough that the gangsters/dealers and their customers weren't conscious yet. the seller was a local guy and we bullshitted about all the old motorcycle dealerships, owners, and local legends we both knew in st Louis for about a half hour before we even got down to price.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #3792
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
I knew it had all the good bits on it, that's why I jumped on it. always liked the "s" model.
the seller posted it at midnight and I called him around 8am. I think the location in st louis kept a few panty waists from going down to check it out. I did a drive by and the bike was sitting out front with the seller and his dad outside the house. early enough that the gangsters/dealers and their customers weren't conscious yet. the seller was a local guy and we bullshitted about all the old motorcycle dealerships, owners, and local legends we both knew in st Louis for about a half hour before we even got down to price.
Sweet. I've met some good folks over sales also. Allow me press the fork brace issue. I put mine on after about 2500 miles. I noticed it would wallow and flex a little in the steering head when pushed hard in choppy corners. I put the brace on and the improvement was immediately noticable.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #3793
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That is the KEY to finding good deals on Craigslist. Cash in hand, and the ability and willingness to JUMP on the good deals quickly. Those who hesitate lose...

Being diligent in your search and lucky enough to find an ad soon after it's posted helps too....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #3794
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Well finally bit the bullet and bought a bike from a dealership. Got a great deal though. 09 xl883l with only 2700 miles on it in incredible shape.. loaded just like the "T" model new for this year.

Now it's time to start putting my own touches on it (well maybe I should pick it up first..lol thats tmm)

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #3795
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Congratulations!