ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #3781
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I've have more issues the other way. Had a group of ADV people roll through Mena, Ar and I'm on my big cruiser. I spot them at a motel and decide to off up some secret riding places for them. When I roll up half walk off and the one standing there was a jerk with all the hate pouring out and then he walked off. What looked to be the oldest guy got up and wandered over to talk. Great guy, those ADV guys are the worst I have seen about prejudice. If I'd been on the Klr in my klim gear then I'd been in like Flynn.

Just one mans story.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, while my experience at my local bike night (post just above yours) wasn't as extreme as that, I have found that prejudice does flow both ways.

Sad thing is, looking back on my past, I realize that I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. Judging people by the machine they're riding really closes your mind from meeting and learning about different people and experiences. Being on the receiving end of it has taught me a valuable lesson about that and has opened my mind, allowing me to make some friends that I may not have otherwise made back in my earlier days.

Being a more diverse rider myself, now no matter what I'm riding I'll strike up conversations with other riders no matter what they're on that day. You just never know what other bikes, and type of riding, a rider may have and enjoy. I have met other riders that were riding something that may not appeal to me, but when talking to them learned that they also had other bikes, some of which were things more interesting to me. Moral of the lesson is that we're all people and we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #3782
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 702
can't stay away from this thread, one of my favorites.
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
a rigid mount factory 1200 and it had to be cheap.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
the best part was the price.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #3783
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
can't stay away from this thread, one of my favorites.
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
a rigid mount factory 1200 and it had to be cheap.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
the best part was the price.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
DAMN! What a deal!

Seeing a deal like that makes me want to start saving my pennies and cruising Craigslist regularly.... I MUST RESIST!
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #3784
rodteague
Enjoying the ride
 
rodteague's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Franklin,TN
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
can't stay away from this thread, one of my favorites.
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
a rigid mount factory 1200 and it had to be cheap.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
the best part was the price.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
Man, she cleaned up real nice! What a deal, any plans for mods? Enjoy it either way!

Rod
__________________
All I do is muddle thru life, making sense of only a portion of it.

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #3785
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post
Keep in mind that your engine has to have a free flow exhaust to work properly. Back pressure is bad; think of the old "potato" in the tail pipe gag. Your pipes and baffles were designed to maximize flow and heat retention. Your baffles in particular are designed to attenuate sound; the pipes then have to compensate for the impediment of flow. Exhaust builders do that by increasing diameter of the tail section. All this to make your neighbors and lawmakers happy.

Anything you stuff in there will effect performance. The earlier suggestion of a "lollipop" baffle would be your best option, because it will allow you to adjust for optimal sound and performance. The link below is one company that makes this type of device. Check them out before you attempt to stuff anything inside. If you decide to use the "pot scubbers" don't pack them tight. Start with one and be sure to use some sort of retention device so they can be easily removed. Run your bike to check for any changes in performance. Add or remove packing accordingly. Best of luck!

Link: Thunder Torque inserts

Regards

Rod
Lotsa good info there Rod, I've never seen the Thunder Torq product before. Pretty cool stuff for two into two systems!
__________________
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General "Maddog" Mattis
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #3786
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,868
Damn vern!

That's got to be the best score I've ever heard of on a Sportster. Jeebus!
__________________
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General "Maddog" Mattis
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #3787
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
can't stay away from this thread, one of my favorites.
every time I get my head buried in it, I start looking on CL for another good deal on a sporty.
having owned a half dozen girls bikes over the past few years in iron head, ridged evo, and rubber mount evo variations with power plants ranging from 883 to 1215cc I've narrowed it down to specifically what I wanted.
a rigid mount factory 1200 and it had to be cheap.
last Friday one popped up. 1999 1200S with 3700 miles being sold by the original owner. a bit tattered, corroded, rusty and weathered with leaking rocker box covers. but it started, ran and rode good despite needing a carb clean, brakes flushed, oil change, etc. new tires and battery.
the best part was the price.
$1750.00
back in the foal.
after a quick clean up with about a half gallon of purple power, some chrome polish and steel wool.
Dood, you just stole one of the best model Sportsters ever made! Dual plug Buell lightening heads, Buell cams. Dual map ignition module, Showa fully adjustable suspension, dual front disks, 10:1 compression. Just a few things that come to mind. Change the fork oil and put a fork brace on it. Check the suspension settings to make sure they're all at the same midpoint setting before fiddling with them. Mine dynoed at 75hp and 79 ft/lbs at 5200 rpm after I installed a Vance and Hines header, air cleaner and jetted it proper. HD discontinued it after only a few years. Sad that the fringe and concho crowd just didn't get it.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #3788
r1oors
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I've have more issues the other way. Had a group of ADV people roll through Mena, Ar and I'm on my big cruiser. I spot them at a motel and decide to off up some secret riding places for them. When I roll up half walk off and the one standing there was a jerk with all the hate pouring out and then he walked off. What looked to be the oldest guy got up and wandered over to talk. Great guy, those ADV guys are the worst I have seen about prejudice. If I'd been on the Klr in my klim gear then I'd been in like Flynn. Just one mans story.
You never know what people pick up on to trigger prejudice. Who knows, maybe it's the big scar on my cheek and the prison tattoo on my neck that lead people to believe I ride a Harley.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #3789
johnwesley
wanta be
 
johnwesley's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: mena, Ar
Oddometer: 1,641
Go Sportsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yep, while my experience at my local bike night (post just above yours) wasn't as extreme as that, I have found that prejudice does flow both ways.

Sad thing is, looking back on my past, I realize that I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. Judging people by the machine they're riding really closes your mind from meeting and learning about different people and experiences. Being on the receiving end of it has taught me a valuable lesson about that and has opened my mind, allowing me to make some friends that I may not have otherwise made back in my earlier days.

Being a more diverse rider myself, now no matter what I'm riding I'll strike up conversations with other riders no matter what they're on that day. You just never know what other bikes, and type of riding, a rider may have and enjoy. I have met other riders that were riding something that may not appeal to me, but when talking to them learned that they also had other bikes, some of which were things more interesting to me. Moral of the lesson is that we're all people and we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

I agree whole heartily, I have found myself saying things that are not right when I was younger and could not see why anyone would ride something beside a sport bike. Whether super sport or sport touring. I would say being raised on the back of a Harley has given advantage when I was in sport bikes and talking with the m/c crowd.


I will say this, I have feel in love with the sportster power plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #3790
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Dood, you just stole one of the best model Sportsters ever made! Dual plug Buell lightening heads, Buell cams. Dual map ignition module, Showa fully adjustable suspension, dual front disks, 10:1 compression. Just a few things that come to mind. Change the fork oil and put a fork brace on it. Check the suspension settings to make sure they're all at the same midpoint setting before fiddling with them. Mine dynoed at 75hp and 79 ft/lbs at 5200 rpm after I installed a Vance and Hines header, air cleaner and jetted it proper. HD discontinued it after only a few years. Sad that the fringe and concho crowd just didn't get it.
I knew it had all the good bits on it, that's why I jumped on it. always liked the "s" model.
the seller posted it at midnight and I called him around 8am. I think the location in st louis kept a few panty waists from going down to check it out. I did a drive by and the bike was sitting out front with the seller and his dad outside the house. early enough that the gangsters/dealers and their customers weren't conscious yet. the seller was a local guy and we bullshitted about all the old motorcycle dealerships, owners, and local legends we both knew in st Louis for about a half hour before we even got down to price.
__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #3791
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
I knew it had all the good bits on it, that's why I jumped on it. always liked the "s" model.
the seller posted it at midnight and I called him around 8am. I think the location in st louis kept a few panty waists from going down to check it out. I did a drive by and the bike was sitting out front with the seller and his dad outside the house. early enough that the gangsters/dealers and their customers weren't conscious yet. the seller was a local guy and we bullshitted about all the old motorcycle dealerships, owners, and local legends we both knew in st Louis for about a half hour before we even got down to price.
Sweet. I've met some good folks over sales also. Allow me press the fork brace issue. I put mine on after about 2500 miles. I noticed it would wallow and flex a little in the steering head when pushed hard in choppy corners. I put the brace on and the improvement was immediately noticable.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #3792
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
I knew it had all the good bits on it, that's why I jumped on it. always liked the "s" model.
the seller posted it at midnight and I called him around 8am. I think the location in st louis kept a few panty waists from going down to check it out. I did a drive by and the bike was sitting out front with the seller and his dad outside the house. early enough that the gangsters/dealers and their customers weren't conscious yet. the seller was a local guy and we bullshitted about all the old motorcycle dealerships, owners, and local legends we both knew in st Louis for about a half hour before we even got down to price.
That is the KEY to finding good deals on Craigslist. Cash in hand, and the ability and willingness to JUMP on the good deals quickly. Those who hesitate lose...

Being diligent in your search and lucky enough to find an ad soon after it's posted helps too....
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #3793
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Ontario, Cannuckland
Oddometer: 191
Well finally bit the bullet and bought a bike from a dealership. Got a great deal though. 09 xl883l with only 2700 miles on it in incredible shape.. loaded just like the "T" model new for this year.

Now it's time to start putting my own touches on it (well maybe I should pick it up first..lol thats tmm)



__________________
Stop planning life and live it!
snakecharmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #3794
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,868
Congratulations!
__________________
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General "Maddog" Mattis
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #3795
r1oors
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmr View Post
Well finally bit the bullet and bought a bike from a dealership. Got a great deal though. 09 xl883l with only 2700 miles on it in incredible shape.. loaded just like the "T" model new for this year.

Now it's time to start putting my own touches on it (well maybe I should pick it up first..lol thats tmm)
Nice! And I know the feeling about putting your own touches on it. Due to our extended winter season, I've only put maybe 5 miles on my 883R since I got it in January. But I've already spent about $150 and planned another couple hundred on it, making it mine.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015