ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #376
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,996
Name:  1999 sportster.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  93.5 KB

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Livingston%20Hospital/Desktop/1999%20sportster.jpg[/IMG]
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #377
1858Remington
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware State, USA
Oddometer: 33
here's my 1992 XLH1200.


By null at 2011-05-19
__________________
I got a Harley Sportster for my ex-wife.... pretty good trade dont you think?
1858Remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #378
1858Remington
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware State, USA
Oddometer: 33
A better daylight photo


By null at 2009-10-15
__________________
I got a Harley Sportster for my ex-wife.... pretty good trade dont you think?
1858Remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #379
1858Remington
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware State, USA
Oddometer: 33
The daylight photo is from when I first bought her. I've added a few things since then. A mustang seat, arlen ness big sucker intake, saddlemen saddlebags, turn signal relocation, windshield, and some new chrome.

My only problem is with the saggy kickstand, which I hear is common on the early evo's. I'm working on a solution for that, and if it pans out I will post it for others who have the same issue.
__________________
I got a Harley Sportster for my ex-wife.... pretty good trade dont you think?
1858Remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #380
Richy
Studly Adventurer
 
Richy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: FL
Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1858Remington View Post

My only problem is with the saggy kickstand, which I hear is common on the early evo's. I'm working on a solution for that, and if it pans out I will post it for others who have the same issue.

I took a hammer to the spring mount until it tightened up.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #381
newride
Studly Adventurer
 
newride's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: San Fran
Oddometer: 704
so how much difference is there between rubber and non-rubber mounted 883's? are we talking numb hands after a long ride? I wanted a 2004-2006, but found a great deal on a 2003 883.
9k miles, orange racing color, black motor, 2 into screaming eagle pipes, jetted carbs, back rest and rack. all for $3,700. may have to jump on it.
__________________
1975 BMW R90/6

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #382
n8dawg6
krunkin'
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: MS
Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
so how much difference is there between rubber and non-rubber mounted 883's? are we talking numb hands after a long ride? I wanted a 2004-2006, but found a great deal on a 2003 883.
9k miles, orange racing color, black motor, 2 into screaming eagle pipes, jetted carbs, back rest and rack. all for $3,700. may have to jump on it.
even my rubber mount will give me sportster hands if i ride it at the wrong RPM for long enough. for me its really a matter of getting the speed (and therefore RPM) in a sweet spot to cut down on the vibes.

this is a pretty good little write-up on sportster vibes:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sportster_vibration.htm
n8dawg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #383
newride
Studly Adventurer
 
newride's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: San Fran
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
even my rubber mount will give me sportster hands if i ride it at the wrong RPM for long enough. for me its really a matter of getting the speed (and therefore RPM) in a sweet spot to cut down on the vibes.

this is a pretty good little write-up on sportster vibes:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sportster_vibration.htm
Thanks!
__________________
1975 BMW R90/6

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #384
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ian03xl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: northwest Iowa
Oddometer: 160
I have a solid mount and a buell xb which is rubber mounted and also have ridden many rubber sportys. To me none vibrate any more than the other it just comes in at different rpms and at different locations. On my solid my feet vibrate most but only at higher revs. On my buell the handlebars vibrate more but is pretty consistent through the revs. Most of the rubber mounts I've rode shake me to death at idle. So its a matter of where your comfortable with vibes.
ian03xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #385
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 855
That was a good writeup on Sportster vibration.

Thanks for providing the link!

Bob
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #386
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,377
What counts more is the extra weight the rubber mount frame adds, its a LOT!
I am SO glad I sold my sportster this week.
I made a big mistake getting a 2009, should have got an old one, much more comfortable, higher, lighter, cheaper.
I will take some vibration as a trade.
I had an 86 883 and it was only bad at full throttle top speed situations.
Unlike the new 1200, it was light and nimble, and comfortable.
The 2009 also had a lot of vibration at top speed, more then the old 883 did.
The rubber mounted bikes have rubber mounted swing arms also which I think is a bit crazy.

My only beef with the 86 was the very little gas tank. 2.2 gallons?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #387
Wanna Ride
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal, USA. Too far from the desert.
Oddometer: 84
I have Ricor Vibranators in my handle bars, they work well. I have old two stroke dirt bike wrist pain and cannot tolerate any handle bar vibration.

All the rubber mount Sportsters I have ridden had significantly less vibration than the frame mount Sportsters, and less than any of the air cooled Buells I rode. The air cooled Buells had pretty bad handle bar vibration when coming to a stop sign and letting the rpm's go to idle. The rubber mount XR's vibration is a bit worse than the XL's.

Loose rubber mount bolts are common cause of vibration on rubber mount bikes.

Quote:
What counts more is the extra weight the rubber mount frame adds, its a LOT!
I am SO glad I sold my sportster this week.
I made a big mistake getting a 2009, should have got an old one, much more comfortable, higher, lighter, cheaper.
I will take some vibration as a trade.
I had an 86 883 and it was only bad at full throttle top speed situations.
Unlike the new 1200, it was light and nimble, and comfortable.
The 2009 also had a lot of vibration at top speed, more then the old 883 did.
The rubber mounted bikes have rubber mounted swing arms also which I think is a bit crazy.

My only beef with the 86 was the very little gas tank. 2.2 gallons?
Stock Harley set up is pretty bad, but what were you expecting from a bike with only 2" suspension travel? With modifications common to middle weight cruisers, my 06 Roadster is comfortable enough to ride all day. The last frame mount Sportster I rode was for 15 minutes and was glad to get off. The rubber mount works good for a middle weight cruiser. The real problem was you never learned how to set your bike up correctly.

Wanna Ride screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 12:32 AM
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #388
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

Woohoo more unnecessary pissing and moaning in a Sporty thread. You can't help but telegraph your inability to ride bikes with more hp than a push mower can you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Ride View Post
The real problem was you never learned how to set your bike up correctly.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 01:44 PM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #389
Bloodweiser OP
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,580
well.

I have a dilemma.

Shocks or Tires?



Shocks used to be painful. Then I got a hand-me-down set of 12-series progressives that took away the back pain but left the discomfort. They're either too hard or to soft. boo.

Tires are 6 year old stockers with ~6kmi under their belt. I've got a pretty hefty wobble around 45-55 mph, pretty horrendous if I take my hands off the bars while decelerating through this range. Today, when attempting to add some pressure to the front tire using my landlords POS compressor, I was left with only 15 psi. Rode to the gas station to use theirs and lo, the wobble be gone. Safe to assume the wobble is tire related?

Damn things just have good tread, hate to throw away free miles.
Attached Images
 
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #390
garandman
Beastly Adventurer
 
garandman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dorchester, MA / Goshen, NH
Oddometer: 6,025
This is my bike just about done.

Semi-gloss black powdercoated rims.
Metzler ME880 tires.
Ricor Intiminators in the front forks.
SuperBrace.
Customized solo saddle.
Vibrinators in the handlebars, which are narrower bars from another Sportster midel.
__________________
2012 WR250R, 2009 TW200, 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2008 CRF100F

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014