Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #4576
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
That's spectacular! Glad you resolved it so simply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
According to my repair manual you have to remove the heads to change them out. Not that I'm against pulling heads as I have built plenty of engines but I have never had to pull anything other than cams to change a lifter in the past.

But check this out... I searched the net a bit and found a write up about clogged lifters on these bikes. It seems that due to low oil pressure that even small contaminates can get stuck in some of the bikes smaller bits like, say, I don't know? A hydraulic lifter perhaps? Anyway, the article suggests that an oil system cleaning with a product like Seafoam can sometimes unclog a lifter. Long story short, I poured half can of the shit into my oil and ran the piss out of it for about 15 minutes and viola, no more bleeding down lifter!!! Also found an exhaust leak that was exacerbating the noise and fixed that as well! She's back!!

Funny part is that it's going to save me a ton of money. Not because the lifters and gasket kit are very much money but because I had already started pricing out head work, cams and big bore kits!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #4577
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I always tell people this but they never believe me!

The last 250 miles on every oil change gets the seafoam treatment. Yeah, your oil comes out looking rough but the inside of every engine I own looks like it did the day it left the factory. No sludge or other gunk anywhere. Does the same thing for your fuel system too.

-Jake
I'm a huge fan of Seafoam in fuel systems but I've always been nervous about treating the oil. Seems like a lit of potential damage could happen even in just 250 miles if the oil film is compromised by the additive. Maybe one of these days I'll get brave and try it.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #4578
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I'm a huge fan of Seafoam in fuel systems but I've always been nervous about treating the oil. Seems like a lit of potential damage could happen even in just 250 miles if the oil film is compromised by the additive. Maybe one of these days I'll get brave and try it.
46k miles and no issues thus far

Just a few ounces, not the whole can

-Jake
Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #4579
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
46k miles and no issues thus far

Just a few ounces, not the whole can

-Jake

Yeah that shit is rough!! I used roughly 1/3-1/2 can but I only ran the bike for about 25 min before draining the oil.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #4580
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
That's spectacular! Glad you resolved it so simply.

Me too!! I really dig this bike and wasn't looking forward to tearing into it.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #4581
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
I always tell people this but they never believe me!

The last 250 miles on every oil change gets the seafoam treatment. Yeah, your oil comes out looking rough but the inside of every engine I own looks like it did the day it left the factory. No sludge or other gunk anywhere. Does the same thing for your fuel system too.

-Jake
hmmm....learn somethin every day...
Old 08-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #4582
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 381
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #4583
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
'91 883

I picked this up from a friend last week. It had been sitting in his back yard under a tarp for the last couple of years rusting away. Every time I stopped by I looked under the tarp, shook my head and asked him what he was going to do with it.
I couldn't take seeing the bike deteriorate anymore, so, needing to restore/build something every couple of years, I made him an offer.

It's a '91 XLH with 34,800 miles on the clock. It DID run before he parked it.
It's a pig in a poke to me, hope for the best, expect the worst type of project.
Just what I was looking for.
Once I get it road worthy and make sure it's fine mechanically, I'll take the motor out and freshen up the frame. I still haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do with her, hell, I've even looked at trike kits.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #4584
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,965
History of the Sportster

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/hist...ursuit-xlence?

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 04:28 PM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #4585
Squeaks
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
That is too funny.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #4586
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
According to my repair manual you have to remove the heads to change them out. Not that I'm against pulling heads as I have built plenty of engines but I have never had to pull anything other than cams to change a lifter in the past.

But check this out... I searched the net a bit and found a write up about clogged lifters on these bikes. It seems that due to low oil pressure that even small contaminates can get stuck in some of the bikes smaller bits like, say, I don't know? A hydraulic lifter perhaps? Anyway, the article suggests that an oil system cleaning with a product like Seafoam can sometimes unclog a lifter. Long story short, I poured half can of the shit into my oil and ran the piss out of it for about 15 minutes and viola, no more bleeding down lifter!!! Also found an exhaust leak that was exacerbating the noise and fixed that as well! She's back!!

Funny part is that it's going to save me a ton of money. Not because the lifters and gasket kit are very much money but because I had already started pricing out head work, cams and big bore kits!!
Yeah, I didn't look real hard, but my manual wasn't immediately clear about what was required prior to accessing the lifters. It was listed in the the top end tear down section, but I wasn't sure if it was ALL required just to get to the lifters....

The Seafoam thing was an awesome catch on your part. Glad it worked out to your advantage! I'll definitely keep that info in mind...

And hell, you're a dude, right? I mean, it's only logical that if you're tearing an engine down anyway... I mean, is there a red blooded gear head that would even consider NOT upgrading parts in the process? I THINK NOT! If you didn't at least CONSIDER it, and price everything out in detail... well... let's just say that your mancard credentials would be seriously suspect.....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #4587
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I joined the new to me Sportster owners club a few weeks ago.. I found a 1986 1100 Liberty edition with 5589 original miles. The bike started right up and ran great, took it for a test ride and negotiated the price down to $2250.00. It needed a serious cleaning but it is 100% original right down to the exhaust. Even though it ran very well, it was overflowing fuel out the carb vent so I rebuilt the carb and found the float was set way to high. Changed the oil and filter (I think it was still the original 1986 oil as well as primary oil. The tires were like petrified wood so spooned on 2 new tires, tubes and rim strips. replaced brake lines with braided steel, new drive chain. Rocker box gaskets were both leaking so I replaced with cometics. The old gaskets were brittle like thin pieces of glass. I'm having a good time just working on this bike...I really like the simplicity of this engine. The front end is pretty soft and would like to improve the rear shocks also...maybe Progressive units? (Any advice here would be appreciated) Other than that I plan on keeping her in original configuration and just ride it on Sunny days. Can't seem to get pictures to upload from work...will try from home when I get a chance.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #4588
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
I joined the new to me Sportster owners club a few weeks ago.. I found a 1986 1100 Liberty edition with 5589 original miles. The bike started right up and ran great, took it for a test ride and negotiated the price down to $2250.00. It needed a serious cleaning but it is 100% original right down to the exhaust. Even though it ran very well, it was overflowing fuel out the carb vent so I rebuilt the carb and found the float was set way to high. Changed the oil and filter (I think it was still the original 1986 oil as well as primary oil. The tires were like petrified wood so spooned on 2 new tires, tubes and rim strips. replaced brake lines with braided steel, new drive chain. Rocker box gaskets were both leaking so I replaced with cometics. The old gaskets were brittle like thin pieces of glass. I'm having a good time just working on this bike...I really like the simplicity of this engine. The front end is pretty soft and would like to improve the rear shocks also...maybe Progressive units? (Any advice here would be appreciated) Other than that I plan on keeping her in original configuration and just ride it on Sunny days. Can't seem to get pictures to upload from work...will try from home when I get a chance.
Ok...

Welcome to the club of the "enlightened".

But.... this post is worthless without pics!

In case you're not familiar, you'll need to upload your pics to a photo hosting site, such as photobucket, smugmug, et al. Once you've done that, you just post the link to your pic into the text of your post, and viola! The pic will appear in your post. There's a thread with specific, detailed instructions somewhere on this site... Check the "Ask Baldy, blame Fish (or whoever is named now)" subforum....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #4589
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
Been kind of missing the 2003 XL 883 Standard I used to have so I brought home this 2001 883 Hugger today.

One owner, Just under 10,000 miles on the ODO, $3400.

That's a sweet looking ride

I just picked up a factory fresh '97, and the stock dual seat, torture rack, needs to go.

Question for you, is that the stock solo seat, or aftermarket ?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #4590
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Yeah it's a stock solo seat.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote