Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #571
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
OK, maybe I need to work on my communication skills.

I meant that Sportsters are cool and have a great aftermarket following, and that they can be aquired and built within what my budget would allow. Thats all, I definitely wasnt looking to start an internet toughguy fight.

For me the cheaper cost of the initial purchase directly relates to what I can spend on aftermarket parts. Especially the high dollar bits like a 1100 dollar kicker kit.

I dont own a Sportster but I am always checking them out for future ideas, so I am not a guy that trolls and talks smack about what others choose to ride. So, I hope I didnt come across like that. I am interested in these bikes, have been for a long time.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #572
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
What's not to love, here.
I've got to give you credit I remember years ago when you (maybe you still do) used to post on the BMW board, it was the BMWNA website and they had a bit of a forum/bb and you were a Sportster supporter then. I knew a lot of guys who had them in the 70's and I knew the 70's bikes pretty good but came to be pretty down on Sportsters as the years rolled by but now @ 53 find myself strangely attracted to them to the point that I want one. Preferably a newer one but want one none the less.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #573
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I've got to give you credit I remember years ago when you (maybe you still do) used to post on the BMW board, it was the BMWNA website and they had a bit of a forum/bb and you were a Sportster supporter then. I knew a lot of guys who had them in the 70's and I knew the 70's bikes pretty good but came to be pretty down on Sportsters as the years rolled by but now @ 53 find myself strangely attracted to them to the point that I want one. Preferably a newer one but want one none the less.
I think the only downside for the new ones is they only offer a low suspension or even lower suspension.

I find my Sporty great on backroads and at highway speeds. It's no rocket ship and I actually ride it to its potential, which I can't say I could do with my Ducati (which compared to most sport bikes was not a rocket ship either). With suspension upgrades, it is a comfy and decent handling bike.

I've always been drawn to nice roadsters and the HD still fits the bill IMO.

Considering getting a pre-rubber mount and making more of a Scramster out of it.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #574
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,309
from Rhinebeck today. I got pretty nostalgic remembering these bikes. supporting Harleys during the middle of the AMF run was definitely not trendy but some guys still did.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #575
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon View Post
I find my Sporty great on backroads and at highway speeds. It's no rocket ship and I actually ride it to its potential, which I can't say I could do with my Ducati (which compared to most sport bikes was not a rocket ship either). With suspension upgrades, it is a comfy and decent handling bike.

BOOM.

Seriously.

This bike is perfect. Any more and I'd be arrested or dead.

I FUCKING LOVE MY SPORTIE.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #576
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Talking

checkin' out a new sporty for the wife, what ya think ?

It is a new left over 2009 low with custom Harley paint for the Breast cancer awareness month

I have a complete sportster sport suspension set up with wheels and brakes. So we could put the sport suspension on it and get dual disk front brakes
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #577
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
checkin' out a new sporty for the wife, what ya think ?
Bout the wife or the Harley?

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #578
johnwesley
wanta be

I know what I think about that hottie , only had question about the bike
Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #579
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
I know what I think about that hottie , only had question about the bike
Based on her leg angle, looks like it would be comfy for her even with the stock suspension. The sport suspension likely is longer rear shocks, but I don't think it would be much of an issue.

Does she already have riding experience? The only concern I'd have is the balance of Sporties is a little top-heavy compared to other cruisers for a completely new rider. But the new ones have a light clutch feel, so that is not an issue, and the throttles are pretty easy to control as well. The self-canceling signals might spoil her for any future bike.

And maybe it is just because I learned on a bike with typical moto signal controls on the left handlebar, it did take a little getting used to using my right hand to push for a signal to go right (throttle control-wise).
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #580
johnwesley
wanta be

She' been riding since 14 and she is now 31. He dad is a safety instructor so she has been trained. Presently she has a dr650, the bikes before were a zzr1200, zx600r, katana, and a 750 night hawk. She is a good rider but has slowed way down since we've had kids. The whole mother thing kicked in, so I thought she may like a bike to fit that. She fell in love with this bike when she saw it. The dealership wants way too much money for it. We have been in talked some on it but no agreed yet. It is a new 2009 so it has sit since then and they still want 10,000 for it because of the custom paint. I can get a new 2011 for that but with out the pink. My question is do they want to sell the bike or have a museum piece
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #581
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
here are mine and my buddies 1200r's

mine is the black one. just about to roll over 20k miles. the bike has been absolutely rock solid as far as maintenance goes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #582
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
She' been riding since 14 and she is now 31. He dad is a safety instructor so she has been trained. Presently she has a dr650, the bikes before were a zzr1200, zx600r, katana, and a 750 night hawk. She is a good rider but has slowed way down since we've had kids. The whole mother thing kicked in, so I thought she may like a bike to fit that. She fell in love with this bike when she saw it. The dealership wants way too much money for it. We have been in talked some on it but no agreed yet. It is a new 2009 so it has sit since then and they still want 10,000 for it because of the custom paint. I can get a new 2011 for that but with out the pink. My question is do they want to sell the bike or have a museum piece
I don't get your dealer's take on this at all. BTW, she looks pretty much at home on the bike. Your dealer is being a tool. First off, it's going to be worth less than an '11, right out the door as a trade, or for insurance purposes. Secondly, no disrespect intended here, but that bike is a "Her's" not a "His" bike. The paint, while really cool, has severely limited the customer demographic that would buy it. Take what you think is fair, slap it on the table. It's a unique bike....but it's not going to appeal to any guy.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #583
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I don't get your dealer's take on this at all. BTW, she looks pretty much at home on the bike. Your dealer is being a tool. First off, it's going to be worth less than an '11, right out the door as a trade, or for insurance purposes. Secondly, no disrespect intended here, but that bike is a "Her's" not a "His" bike. The paint, while really cool, has severely limited the customer demographic that would buy it. Take what you think is fair, slap it on the table. It's a unique bike....but it's not going to appeal to any guy.
Lyle
my thoughts as well, I gave him a offer he has to talk to the monkey in the cage, just a waiting game they play. He called me back 5minutes before they closed for the day. So I played my game and didn't answer he'll call back Monday as I'm the only person that has been interested in the bike since they painted it. No man would want it and few women. I just happen to have a wife that likes pink and black. They have a used 2009 like this one without the pink for 8,000. I may go used and just have a shop do the pink for the wife
Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #584
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
I may go used and just have a shop do the pink for the wife
And have enough left over for a full set of riding gear and accessories for the bike.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #585
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
And have enough left over for a full set of riding gear and accessories for the bike.

awesome ride report on the klr