Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #631
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYP797 View Post
Thanks for posting this frontal photo. I like the oem HD quick release 1/4 fairing but not the plexiglass shield in front of the headlight. The Maier has nice lines, and the lower cutouts could be filled shut or as you say some type of auxilliary lights adapted. The lower inverted valanced lip is a nice design touch. Can ya let in on who carries it. Thanks; btw I like that the windshield portion isn't too high. How's the wind buffeting at speed?

I would just do a a quick search for "Maier sport fairing". I believe that mine is the small due to the windshield being shorter than the ones typically pictured. I picked mine up at a local indy so I don't really have anywhere I could recommend. I'm 5' 10" and don't notice any buffeting. I built brackets that allow me to adjust the angle of the fairing. The main reasons that I wanted a fairing were to take some of the pressure off of my body at freeway speds and to block some of the summertime bugs down here in FL and it works great for what I wanted it for.

Scramster
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #632
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
This bike is righteous.

Brilliant video Bloodwieser!
Nitro Circus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #633
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
How did it change the ride? I think the stock 16" looks like bull - would love to get a 18" but there's not too many options so far as I could find. Lots for the 3/4 axles, but not so much for the 1"
You can pick up a wheel for a 3/4" axel and just swap out the bearings.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #634
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
200 miles will do irreparable psychological damage to the party's involved.
600 miles two-up with my GF several times, we're still sane. 1k in a day solo too with no issues...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #635
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
Are you mad??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by page62 View Post
How about a bigger fuel tank that will get you further than the next bar?

j/k

Get yer priorities right, Rider, the next bar is just fine.
Or: to put it another way:
I have a tank that goes 2 hours and a bladder that goes 1 hour...
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #636
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
New Ricor IAS shocks - but Battery cover not found.

There are two plastic clips that hold it at the top, and the cover sometimes vibrates loose and flies away on the highway. I think it's $80-90. That's why they say HD stands for Hundred Dollar.

Of course, when I go on XLforum I find this is a very common problem and people zip-tie them, cotter pin, etc. Just wish I'd read them before I took a longer ride!
Never had an issue with it, and to be honest, not sure how it can just fly off...the lower part of the cover is hinged so it can only just swing down if it pops out of the clips. Mine's an '09, maybe they added the hinge later?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #637
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
I removed the rear caliper to get the wheel out and after it was reinstalled I had no brake pressure at the rear. A little searching around and I discovered I must not have aligned my pads in the retainer clip and the caliper was skewed, allowing the top of the caliper to canter outwards from the wheel. I removed the pads and reinstalled them, and applied brake pressure while tightening the pin bolt. Now I have pressure and a working brake!

But, after a quick ride, the front rotors are just barely warm and the rear is pretty damn hot. I'm dragging, but I'm not sure what to adjust at this point.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

Even now, the caliper moves a bit when pressure is applied. It seems like it would/should, since there's no rear fasteners holding this thing in place, just 2 pins.
The pins can get stuck/stiff that can cause drag especially when trying to wiggle the wheel back in. When changing tires or pads it's always good to give 'em a thorough check.

I rarely use my rear brakes enough to get them too hot to touch, just a bit for balancing, trail healing and parking. Front is always too hot to touch though. And the Lyndall Z Plus pads are a good upgrade.

Nitro Circus screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 08:00 AM
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #638
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
What 1/4 fairing do you have? I'm needing something to take the wind off at 70 - 75 mph but still be comfortable in the summer down here.
Here's another fairing option for the Sportster - the Rifle Roadster. It has a smaller opening to fit the Sportster headlight and is available with various windshields.

http://rifle.com/Roadster-Fairing-P1955C74.aspx
83XLX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #639
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMO View Post
Just returned from Afghanistan a couple weeks ago and have been spending time working on my sporty project started a few years ago. Latest efforts have been lacing 19" front and 17" rear Sun rims for the Conti Trail Attack tires. I do like the Conti Attack series of tires. Have them on my V-strom and wife has them on her Versys as well.

With the upgraded suspension and decent tires, it corners well. Not like my Buell, but hey, what can you expect from 1960 technology. Waiting on a custom made carbon fiber leather flat saddle reminiscent of the original 50's and 60's sporty seat. A few other changes in mind as well. The sporty is one heavy SOB, though.
Nice bike VMO, you got any more pics?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #640
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Circus View Post
Never had an issue with it, and to be honest, not sure how it can just fly off...the lower part of the cover is hinged so it can only just swing down if it pops out of the clips. Mine's an '09, maybe they added the hinge later?
Oh - so I imagined it? Dealers stock them?

Mount was changed on FI bikes 07+.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #641
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr View Post
Picked this up on Monday. 2001 883 Custom with 47K, after tax and getting the registration up to date $2400. Going to ride it 2k through Nevada, Oregon over the July 4th weekend. Probably going to sell it once I get back to buy a non custom Sportster as I don't care for the forward controls and the 21 in front.

Thats really sharp, especially for the money. Id sell the forwards and the wheel and buy mids and a wheel and pocket some cash.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #642
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Get yer priorities right, Rider, the next bar is just fine.
Or: to put it another way:
I have a tank that goes 2 hours and a bladder that goes 1 hour...
Sometimes it's not about how often you are stopping, but how often you are able to get gasoline. There are several areas in Texas to the West of me that do not have gas stations close enough for a 3.3 gallon tank.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #643
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Oh - so I imagined it? Dealers stock them?

Mount was changed on FI bikes 07+.
Wasn't pissing on ya mate. Was suggesting they added/changed the hinge later.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #644
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr View Post
Picked this up on Monday. 2001 883 Custom with 47K, after tax and getting the registration up to date $2400. Going to ride it 2k through Nevada, Oregon over the July 4th weekend. Probably going to sell it once I get back to buy a non custom Sportster as I don't care for the forward controls and the 21 in front.

It does look nice though. I test rode a 2007 XL883C where the PO had replaced the forwards with mids. It really transformed the bike for the better to me.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #645
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Sometimes it's not about how often you are stopping, but how often you are able to get gasoline. There are several areas in Texas to the West of me that do not have gas stations close enough for a 3.3 gallon tank.
True, but still doable. I tour with my Sporty, and as necessary carry extra petrol (OK, gasoline!) in 5 ltr containers.
As long as I am touring, I will be carrying panniers, tent etc. Not so difficult to find space for the containers. Then I dump them when I don't need them any more.
I've crossed all the long boring dry roads in Australia like this - including the Nullabor. Then when I get to my destination, I drop off the bags and boxes and; presto! My camel becomes a racehorse again!
Rob
Attached Images

theKite is offline   Reply With Quote