ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #721
theKite
Ulyssean
 
theKite's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Little Mountain, Queensland
Oddometer: 141
I love a wide brown land

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr View Post
So I rode my Sportster 2600 miles through California, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon and Washington over the 4th of July weekend. The bike ran great other then needing to have the ignition switch replaced. Forward controls are not for me! Spent most of the time with my feet on the passenger pegs.

Below is a shot of the bike on US 50 "The Lonelist Highway"



I can relate to the long grim roads
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #722
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer
 
JimmyTheHog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 707
Headed up to Metcalf off-road park in San Jose last weekend and hit the trails... Nice Views !!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jim

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #723
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
Headed up to Metcalf off-road park in San Jose last weekend and hit the trails... Nice Views !!!

How's the bike treating you? Turned out fantastic. Did you ever get a chance to weigh it?
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #724
plugeye
mc caregiver
 
plugeye's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Garland, Texas
Oddometer: 3,482
that things wicked
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #725
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer
 
JimmyTheHog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
How's the bike treating you? Turned out fantastic. Did you ever get a chance to weigh it?
No - havent weighed it yet. I tried to fix my bathroom scale with a new battery, but couldnt figure it out, so lost interest. I can build a bike, but I cant figure out a simple bathroom scale - What ever happened to the old style scales that didnt take batteries ? !!!

The bike doesnt feel that heavy on the trails though. Surprised me. Compared to my R12 GSA, the HD feels like a dirt bike. Ok, that may not be saying much - but it does pretty good.
__________________
Jim

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #726
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,261
Brown Santa brought me a present.


What's in that box oh keepers of anything that is placed on the floor?


Ooooo...Something shiny!!


...and something not shiny but still nice!!



The faithful steed awaiting its new legs.



About an Hour later and VIOLA!! My Sporty...Now with a proper stance!
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #727
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer
 
gusanito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Brown Santa brought me a present.


What's in that box oh keepers of anything that is placed on the floor?


Ooooo...Something shiny!!


...and something not shiny but still nice!!



The faithful steed awaiting its new legs.



About an Hour later and VIOLA!! My Sporty...Now with a proper stance!
Nice! Looks like an expensive package.
Are the front springs from Works, too?
Did you fiddle with the oil weight or volume in the forks?

George
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #728
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Nice! Looks like an expensive package.
Are the front springs from Works, too?
Did you fiddle with the oil weight or volume in the forks?

George

Thanks George.

It's the only thing that I have really spent any money on for the Sporty since I bought it a year ago so I splurged a little. The front is the new cartridge insert setup from Works. It includes dual stage springs. I'm still playing with oil volume in the fork. I have pulled around 3oz out of each leg so far. The inserts seem to have made the bike feel like it has real suspension now rather than the pogo stick sensation that you get with the stock fork. The rears are freakin' great but I need to put some miles on the setup and get it dialed in a bit before I can really give it a review. I can tell you that going form 11.5 eye to eye to a 13.25 has drastically improved the lean angle and turn in when cornering.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 04:04 PM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #729
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer
 
Birdmove's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Keaau, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,604
It apperas that yours is a Custom model? I believe that the Customs have standard length fork tubes and just shorter shocks. So you would certainly gain a bunch of cornering cledarance with 13.5" shocks. Did you go to the mid controls also, or did the bike already have them? I ride a 2006 XL883 with the longer suspension and I've only scraped once. That was when I had it really leaned in a left hander and then hit a bump just right and scraped a little.

Jon
__________________
Jon in Keaau, Hi. USA
2008 SYM HD200 (wife's ride)
2009 Kymco People 150 and coming soon, another dual sport mc
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #730
Wanna Ride
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal, USA. Too far from the desert.
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
It apperas that yours is a Custom model? I believe that the Customs have standard length fork tubes and just shorter shocks. So you would certainly gain a bunch of cornering cledarance with 13.5" shocks. Did you go to the mid controls also, or did the bike already have them? I ride a 2006 XL883 with the longer suspension and I've only scraped once. That was when I had it really leaned in a left hander and then hit a bump just right and scraped a little.
Is there a question in there somewhere?

I have an 06 Roadster, properly set up suspension full length suspension, and can drag hard parts in virtually any corner that is sharp enough. I have to lean off the bike into the corner to avoid dragging in the corners.

The lower the bike is, the easier it is to drag something in the corners. The better the suspension is set up, and if the rider has adequate skill, the easier it is to drag parts in a corner.
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #731
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer
 
gusanito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Thanks George.

It's the only thing that I have really spent any money on for the Sporty since I bought it a year ago so I splurged a little. The front is the new cartridge insert setup from Works. It includes dual stage springs. I'm still playing with oil volume in the fork. I have pulled around 3oz out of each leg so far. The inserts seem to have made the bike feel like it has real suspension now rather than the pogo stick sensation that you get with the stock fork. The rears are freakin' great but I need to put some miles on the setup and get it dialed in a bit before I can really give it a review. I can tell you that going form 11.5 eye to eye to a 13.25 has drastically improved the lean angle and turn in when cornering.
If you're trying to get rid of pogoing or excessive brake dive in the front end, you may be going the wrong way in decreasing oil volume in the forks. I've found that, not only on my 1200S, but on other bikes, heavier weight oil and increasing the volume, by as little as 10ml per leg, has made a substantial improvement.
Something else to consider would be a Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator. If they're still selling the same kit I put on my Duck years ago, it'll transform your bike's front end and is available with a full set of shims so you can stack it for your weight and riding style.
Keep us posted on your experimentations.

George

gusanito screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 06:50 AM
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #732
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
It apperas that yours is a Custom model? I believe that the Customs have standard length fork tubes and just shorter shocks. So you would certainly gain a bunch of cornering cledarance with 13.5" shocks. Did you go to the mid controls also, or did the bike already have them? I ride a 2006 XL883 with the longer suspension and I've only scraped once. That was when I had it really leaned in a left hander and then hit a bump just right and scraped a little.

Jon
Hey Jon,

Yes it's a Custom. The forks are longer than those on the Nightster and 48 but I'm not sure about other models. I switched to mids the first week that I got the bike. Forwards seemed counter intuitive for spirited riding and they killed my lower back.


Dave
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #733
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
If you're trying to get rid of pogoing or excessive brake dive in the front end, you may be going the wrong way in decreasing oil volume in the forks. I've found that, not only on my 1200S, but on other bikes, heavier weight oil and increasing the volume, by as little as 10ml per leg, has made a substantial improvement.
Something else to consider would be a Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator. If they're still selling the same kit I put on my Duck years ago, it'll transform your bike's front end and is available with a full set of shims so you can stack it for your weight and riding style.
Keep us posted on your experimentations.

George

I should have been a bit more clear in my post. I tried factory oil height but the extra room taken up the cartridges didn't allow the forks to compress properly. I lowered the fluid level to what seems like good compromise between "shit I blew out my fork seals" and "man these are squishy". The cartridges are something I decided to try out in place of Gold Valves or Intiminators. They are a self contained sort of mini shock that goes into the fork tube: Take a look at the bottom of the page in this link: http://www.worksperformance.com/html/new_products.html They built them to my specs and so far so good. I will play with the adjustable preload and oil level to fine tune them. I will keep you posted how they turn out.

Dave
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #734
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer
 
Birdmove's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Keaau, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Hey Jon,

Yes it's a Custom. The forks are longer than those on the Nightster and 48 but I'm not sure about other models. I switched to mids the first week that I got the bike. Forwards seemed counter intuitive for spirited riding and they killed my lower back.


Dave
That's what I thought. I test rode a 2007 XL883C (used) where the previous owner had removed the forward controls and installed mids, and it really improved the bike to me. Currently-unless one buys an XR1200, they all have shorter suspension, which, in my humble opinion, is a big mistake for HD. They have dropped my XL883, and the XL883R and XL1200R-all had longer suspension and good cornering clearance. The new Superlow may be the worst Sportster for cornering clearance of all time from What I've heard.
One shouldn't have to buy a new XL and then replace the shocks and fork tubes in order to have fun it the corners.

Jon
__________________
Jon in Keaau, Hi. USA
2008 SYM HD200 (wife's ride)
2009 Kymco People 150 and coming soon, another dual sport mc
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #735
Wanna Ride
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal, USA. Too far from the desert.
Oddometer: 84
Race Tech Emulators are valve bodies that can be added to damper rod fork. Race Tech Gold Valves have larger holes for the oil to flow through before the oil gets to the shim stack in cartridge forks. They are not inter-changeable.

Wanna Ride screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 10:53 PM
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014