Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #826
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
1600 miles or so between us and we're in almost exactly the same boat. Salute brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
+1 I am likely a bit more on the lucky side as I get to ride one whenever I want to until I figure out how to or save enough to buy one.

Nice job you have. No, really. (as long as it pays the bills, and builds retirement, then I say it is an awesome job)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Actually, it's the best bike there is for putting a big smile on your face!

Can't wait for my own, one day!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #827
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
Just remember to test ride a totally different bike, (like a lowered cruiser with half the power) buy all the "pirate" gear which is apparantly "mandatory" according to some people so that you fit the lifestyle of low life, drunk and criminal.

But on the other hand, you can laugh hysterically at people who call it ugly, slow and heavy and yet actually spend MORE money for a slower, heavier and by all accounts hideously ugly BMW GS (with the Quasimodo/Igor/Elephant Man eyeball look). Which coincidently has an engine design that's just as archaic.

Oh, and don't forget all the drag races you're sure to lose to milk crate equipped dirt bikes with half the power, half the cylinders, twice the plastic (duct tape makes them faster) and at least one ammo can.

Come over to the dark side, where we don't give a shit about who makes your bike or how you spend your own money.

At least we know where to shop for all your future gift ideas.
One of the guys on the Sportster list had a bunch of different bikes--XL, Road King, and at least one Duc.

I don't know what he enjoyed more--wearing the black leather, half helmet and chaps while riding his Ducati or wearing his 1-piece red, white and green leathers and matching FF helmet while riding one of his Harleys.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #828
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Eh? I'm new here but...

"Come over to the dark side, where we don't give a shit about who makes your bike or how you spend your own money."

If you really don't give a shit, why all the busting on Harley Davidson and the guys who ride them??
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #829
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

You might try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Where can I get one of those?
Supertrapp website for dealer info. I believe the pipe built for the newer rubbermounted version is different than the one in the photo, not upswept or not as drastically... That bike has a rigid mounted engine. Edit: on second thought, it is the newer rubbermount, maybe that particular pipe is still available?

I sometimes run the headpipe only (no muffler) on my '97 Sport, it moves the powerband a bit higher so I'm actually making power right up to redline. I can now almost catch a DR650 in the quarter mile, still working on that...

woodnbow screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 12:14 PM Reason: phucked up
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #830
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
I like AMF Sportsters, and I'm proud of it!

Okay, I just had to throw that in.

Carry on!
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #831
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
"Come over to the dark side, where we don't give a shit about who makes your bike or how you spend your own money."

If you really don't give a shit, why all the busting on Harley Davidson and the guys who ride them??
Because I ride one!!! If you can't make fun of yourself first, what good are ya?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #832
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Eh? struggling to understand...

"Because I ride one!!! If you can't make fun of yourself first, what good are ya?"

I can't agree with that... there are plenty of people more than willing to make fun of me, you, whoever, and that's fine really. I'm just sure I don't want to pile on while you're making fun of yourself, let alone my own self. Enough is enough! But you knock yourself out there primate...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #833
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
Just remember to test ride a totally different bike, (like a lowered cruiser with half the power) buy all the "pirate" gear which is apparantly "mandatory" according to some people so that you fit the lifestyle of low life, drunk and criminal.

But on the other hand, you can laugh hysterically at people who call it ugly, slow and heavy and yet actually spend MORE money for a slower, heavier and by all accounts hideously ugly BMW GS (with the Quasimodo/Igor/Elephant Man eyeball look). Which coincidently has an engine design that's just as archaic.

Oh, and don't forget all the drag races you're sure to lose to milk crate equipped dirt bikes with half the power, half the cylinders, twice the plastic (duct tape makes them faster) and at least one ammo can.

Come over to the dark side, where we don't give a shit about who makes your bike or how you spend your own money.

At least we know where to shop for all your future gift ideas.
Now that's funny. I actually now own all three of the bikes featured in this post. If the milk crate single in question is a KLR, that is. Pick up my purty black 09 XR1200 on Saturday. I'm pretty pumped about it. Haven't owned a Sporty since 1993.

I used to have loads of fun ridng with my sporty-bike friends on my Buell. This could be even more fun.

For how and where I ride, a GS Adventure, a KLR, and this pretty girl should be a nice combo.

Now. It's about time to go terrorize the citizens. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 09:14 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #834
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Well, I decided to "decaffinate" my Sportster. Believe it or not, it's actually more fun to ride as a classic Sportster than it was as a mild cafe.

Before

After
Love the bike in both set ups. the old iron heads are a cool bike
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #835
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I need some suggestions (and pics if possible) on a project bike I may get, a '02 883 that belongs to my dad. My first options will be to add pipes without the cross-overs, and a new air cleaner. Any ideas??
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #836
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
I'd love to have an '02 XL883. Much lighter than the 2004 and up rubber mounts, and has the easy access trap door transmission. But you will lose some horsepower with an exhaust with no crossover. That is my understanding. Mod are about unlimited on that bike. Look through a 2011 or 2012 Drag Specialty catalog. I will say this, for any warranty issues, you cannot go wrong with Vance and Hines exhausts. I worked at ah HD dealer in a "parts window" (meaning parts for the in house service department only), and had to deal with warranty issues. Some smaller exhaust makers (who shall remain nameless) basically told us to pound sand on these issues, while V&H NEVER disallowed a warranty-however slight it was (like, say, a very minor finish issue that showed a year after installation etc). We installed a lot of exhaust systems, and if I had an XL (had to sell the two I owned) I'd look at V&H products first.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #837
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I'd love to have an '02 XL883. Much lighter than the 2004 and up rubber mounts, and has the easy access trap door transmission. But you will lose some horsepower with an exhaust with no crossover. That is my understanding. Mod are about unlimited on that bike. Look through a 2011 or 2012 Drag Specialty catalog. I will say this, for any warranty issues, you cannot go wrong with Vance and Hines exhausts. I worked at ah HD dealer in a "parts window" (meaning parts for the in house service department only), and had to deal with warranty issues. Some smaller exhaust makers (who shall remain nameless) basically told us to pound sand on these issues, while V&H NEVER disallowed a warranty-however slight it was (like, say, a very minor finish issue that showed a year after installation etc). We installed a lot of exhaust systems, and if I had an XL (had to sell the two I owned) I'd look at V&H products first.

Jon
^^^^^^Yup, what he said. ^^^^^ I put the V&H 2 into 1 "off road only" header on my 1200. Went one size larger on the pilot jet. Installed a Yost power kit in the carb and added a K&N air filter. Vast improvement in performance and throttle response from idle to rev limiter. The header has been on the bike for over 12 years and still looks good. No garage queen here. I ride in the rain and on dirt roads and really don't fuss over it too much. Top quality kit thats held up well for me over the years. Kind of noisy for todays standards which is something we need to consider. If I short shift it in town and populated areas, the people I ride with say it isn't too bad but, quite loud when the main jet starts to feed at full chat . If I remember correctly, the header was about $550.00. retail for the full system which is less that some companies want just for a can.

fastdadio screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 02:19 PM Reason: Forgot to say....
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #838
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
here's an update on my sporty

to go where no sportster has gone before

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #839
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
^that's great.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #840
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
I need some suggestions (and pics if possible) on a project bike I may get, a '02 883 that belongs to my dad. My first options will be to add pipes without the cross-overs, and a new air cleaner. Any ideas??
Why do you want to lose the crossovers? 883 make too much midrange power for ya?

In terms of HP throughout the rev range, the 2 top pipes for a solid-mount XLH are the 'Trapp 2-2 high pipes (not made anymore) and a set of stock headpipes with the inner crossover protrusions ground down connected to a pair of Cycle Shack slipons with modified baffles.

This subject has been done to death over at the xlforum.

Lose the crossover, lose midrange.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote