User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #886
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
2011 Superlow

59 degrees today so just took a 60 mile ride on my Superlow. Super smooth from 73-78 mph. Haven't experienced any cornering problems either but I'm not too aggressive. Its a wonderful m/c. I've had em all. Lots quicker, some smoother, but none look or sound as good. And for $8000 its great. I've had several big dressers but just too heavy. Just traded an 2009 Bonneville. Glad I did. Its my 16th Sportster. Had a really nice used 69 XLH in 1970 and a new 1971, 1973 & 1974 XLCH. They were great. Back when I was young and lived in Florida. Used to ride up to Robisons in Daytona every Saturday when we lived in Titusville. The good old days.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #887
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Rode my XR1200X today. It wasn't a long ride--maybe an hour or so--but one of those great blasts around the countryside that ranges from hooligan to easy cruising.

I just can't wipe the grin off my face when I ride that thing--it grabs my soul and tickles it every time I ride it. I've had faster, smoother, "better" bikes but so far, in about 30 years of riding, this one just seems to make me happier than any of the others for reasons that are hard to describe. It's fun, it's visceral...it just makes me happy.

I could easily see buying a 48 or restoring an older one; I understand now how sportys get into your blood.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #888
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,988
Rode my XR yesterday. It is a hoot and a holler. I 'll probably keep it slightly longer than my license. I ride pretty fast usually but this thing just keeps me in the throttle. Owned probably ten Big Twins in the last twenty years. But this Sporty rocks.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #889
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I could easily see buying a 48 or restoring an older one; I understand now how sportys get into your blood.
I can't keep 48's in stock. The same people that used to call Sportsters a chick bike are now somehow becoming enlightened to the fun factor and making room in their garage for a "giggle bike"

I think part of the attraction is how they almost fight against you while at the same time they are incredibly easy to ride. It makes them feel almost alive.

Urban assault torque monsters.

For bombing around town they are hard to beat.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #890
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
For bombing around town they are hard to beat.
no matter how they ride, they also LOOK really cool, IMO. I wouldn't want to have to put up with the peanut tank on em, but then again, it looks cool. if i had the money lying around, i'd love to have one.

add me to the list of ppl loving the XR. i've gotten to ride mine more than usual this winter because the weather has been quite mild.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #891
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I know a couple of guys (new within 10 years to riding themselves) who bought rubber mount Sportsters for wifeys first bike. Those bikes don't get a lot of miles but the guys are riding them 3-4 times as much as the girls.. we have miles and miles of paved and gravel secondary roads thru western colorado darn near tailor made for Sportsters.. the best part is not too many people so we don't have to constantly explain why we're riding chick bikes!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #892
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Every time I get on my sporty I wonder why I am selling it. Man I wish I could afford to own it and buy another bike. I am selling to have a more versatile stable. My garage -1 sportster +a dual sport and a city highway bike is too tempting. I will most definitely own another some day, but it probably won't be the same (the buell flywheelreally wakes these up, the throttle response is amazing for a Harley.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #893
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

tdk. I agree. I don't think a Sportster could be my only bike, but for what it does, it does it really well.

If they'd put that XR motor in more of the Sportster line, I bet they'd sell all they could make.

I love the looks of the traditional sportsters. My 93 XL1200 was , IMO, a beautiful bike. Simple. Clean.

I have always wanted a hot-rod sporty and, I will give the MoCo credit, they built one. Just wish it weighed 475.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #894
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

I have always wanted a hot-rod sporty and, I will give the MoCo credit, they built one. Just wish it weighed 475.

Now if they had tried before rubber mounting them they probably would have pulled it off.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #895
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
tdk. I agree. I don't think a Sportster could be my only bike, but for what it does, it does it really well.

If they'd put that XR motor in more of the Sportster line, I bet they'd sell all they could make.

I love the looks of the traditional sportsters. My 93 XL1200 was , IMO, a beautiful bike. Simple. Clean.

4 speed Evo , 86 to 90 , 457 pounds as shipped from factory according to the manual. Something was indeed better before
norseXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #896
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

My recall sucks but I remember my 93 weighed 475 and a FXR weighed 575. My XR must have a glandular condition.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 01:32 PM
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #897
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
My recall sucks but I remember my 93 weighed 475 and a FXR weighed 575. My XR must have a glandular condition.
My recall isn't that great anymore either but my Sportster's 485 and the FXRS is 615.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #898
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Step 1: Buy 91-03 XL.
Step 2: Redo suspension/frame to suit your needs. A rigid mount XL running a C&J frame, lightweight spoked wheels and fiberglass fenders/tank don't weigh much--420lbs dry maybe?
Step 3: Take a trip through either the Zippers or NRHS catalog. For the majority of the riders here I think a big bore motor would be more fun than a stroker--the cool part about having parallel pushrods is that the XLs rev like BTs can only dream.

~460lbs full of fuel & oil.
88" motor putting 120hp and 115lb/ft tq to the ground, on premium gas.
These motors make around 80lb/ft just OFF IDLE. That means while putting around town you have a shitpot of power available at any rpm. To go 65-70 in top gear requires 1/4 throttle.

Enjoy scaring the shit out of yourself and fucking with sportbike riders' paradigms.

85rwhp is available with bolt-ons (1250 kit with ignition, heads, cams, carb, exhaust). Just getting rid of the steel fenders and putting on a flat-tracker kit is going to drop quite a bit of weight and not be as hard on the pocketbook.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #899
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,179
A sunny 54 degrees on January 31?

Out comes the Sportster for a really nice 40 mile ride! And the sand and melt didn't get me!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #900
KyleD
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2011 XL1200X - a modern old bike. My second Sportster. It's a blast, plain and simple. Less is sometimes more.
Attached Images

KyleD is offline   Reply With Quote