Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #976
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
IIRC, the ironheads had 3/32" gear engagement on the kicker. Anything in that assembly gets worn, and you get the dreaded "Sportster Knee."
Yep, I never hyperextended mine to the point of real damage but when electric start became common I was very happy.

Last year I met a guy in Western PA (wife's from there) and he was riding a '69 FL a classic Electra Glide. The bike looked like it'd just been ridden and cared for for all these 40-some years, original paint etc. Anyway I forgot how slowly some of those starters turned, I love that sound of those old timers firing up, just like I love the sound of an old John-Deere B...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #977
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Well, I have a 03 1200C that I bought new. I kinda have a love hate relationship with it. My biggest gripe is the vibration and the brakes are not as good as they should be. I have gotten used to the vibration and tamed it somewhat but the brakes need to be up graded. I am just not satisfied with them. I wish I had a bigger gas tank as well but after 100 miles I am ready to climb off anyway but everytime I turn around I am at a gas station it seems.

My bike has been reliable as can be pretty much. No leaks or anything major at all. It still runs like new and has plenty of power for me. I dont ride it really hard but I dont baby it either. I think the evo engines are really reliable pieces. ONe of my friends had a 79 AMF sportster and it was a complete piece of junk. I would like to have a new rubber mount FI sportster but cant justify the purchase when nothing is really wrong with mine. I dont see why it wont last for years to come with basic maintanence. The only real problems I have had have been self inflicted. I got half drunk and dropped it in the driveway and skinned up my vance and hines straight shots and broke off the end of the front brake lever. I still have not fixed either to this day. I really need to do this.

Mine is at home on two lane roads at 55-60 mph. I ride it in town quite a bit and also hit the super slab without hesitation. I usually run it between 70-75 and it will sit there all day long. I was in a hell of a hurry a while back and passed two big twins running about 80-85. They probably thought I was crazy. The sporster does not really excell at anything but it does a lot of things pretty good and is versatile. I have gone on rides with groups with people with really big bikes and they say how are you going to keep up with us on the interstate? I just smile and say dont worry. It will hold its own in a lot of different conditions. It suits my riding style pretty well and the metrics dont appeal to me at all but I must admit I really like the Victorys but can afford anything like that.

One major gripe I have is that back when I bought mine the dealers acted like it was some sort of privilege to even darken the door of their t shirt shop. The were arrogant and hard to deal with. This was back in the day when you could not hardly get your hands on a new HD and they were jacking up the price from msrp. I finally found one and paid msrp but I will never do that again. I paid too much imo. The market is now flooded with used HD's and the price on them has tanked. You can pick up a good used sportster pretty cheap now. My timing was just off. The service department told me some serious BS also when I bought mine. They are crooks imo for what they charge. I take mine to a independent shop that is honest, reasonable, and has forgot more about sportsters than most dealers know.

Sorry for the long winded post.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #978
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

One more thing. If I ever get rid of it I will probably get another Sportster of some kind. My local indy wrench knows these things frontwards and backwards. I will also buy used. The price has just dropped out of them in the last few years.

Quick story. I went on a big ride a few years back with 2 other guys. One was on a Yammy 650 V star and the other was on a suzuki 1400 intruder. We got caught in the biggest traffic jam of my life and it was 100 degrees. Long story short the suzuki guy lost his clutch. We where 400+ miles from the house. It was hydraulic and the fluid got too hot I guess. When it cooled off it was fine. We all chuckled and said if anybody was going to break down it would be the Harley. lol We ran so hard coming home that the guy on the V star used more fuel than we did. He was running it wide open he said to keep up and had a fairing and bags plus he was a big old boy.

Back when I bought mine I didnt want a big twin and still dont to this day. I am small physically anyway and to me the sportsters just have soul that the big twins dont nor will ever have. If I ever buy a real big twin it will be a Victory. Sorry for rambling on.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #979
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Laugh

"Sorry for rambling on."

That's how we know you're really an old guy... I'm new here too, I've read ADVRider forums for a few years, never posted until recently but welcome from one old noob to another..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #980
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Yep. Welcome, OldF7Guy. How about some pics of your bike?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #981
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Well, I have a 03 1200C that I bought new ...
in my opinion, that post is a DANG good description of sportsters in general, some of the HD dealers I have come across, and the way that bikes get dropped in the driveway/garage
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #982
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep. Welcome, OldF7Guy. How about some pics of your bike?
I will try. I have a digital camara and a new computer. I think something is wrong with my camara because it wont download to my computer. Yes, I am a older guy and I dont know a i phone from a rocking chair when it comes to technology. I really struggle with things like this. I am working on it and will try to post when I can. Its nothing special anyway. The funniest thing is the broken front brake lever and the pipes skinned up from me getting drunk and dropping it in the driveway of all places. Shit happens sometimes even when you get old.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #983
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
in my opinion, that post is a DANG good description of sportsters in general, some of the HD dealers I have come across, and the way that bikes get dropped in the driveway/garage
I gotta agree. Great story and details.
I wanted a Sporty back in those days too, but got turned off by the treatment in the showroom.

Now, I can buy one of the roadsters at a reasonable price.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #984
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 130
My new to me roadster

I just picked up this 06 roadster last week. Not running, hadn't been registered for a while and only 1500 miles. It runs now, just need to save up for registration.

I've spent a couple of lazy months finishing my XS650 but now its going to have to go to make room for the sportster. Most of my riding the last few years has been on my old, 70's mopeds.

pvt joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #985
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I gotta agree. Great story and details.
I wanted a Sporty back in those days too, but got turned off by the treatment in the showroom.

Now, I can buy one of the roadsters at a reasonable price.
You are right. Now a days HD motorcycles tank out like everything else and the market is flooded with them. I still see insane asking prices but that is all they are. They wont sell. I love the roadster version and wish I would have bought one. The idiots in the showroom are going to cost HD in more ways than one. My next one will be used for sure so I dont have to mess with idiots and arrogance. I like the the sportster model but I deplour the HD arrogance like they are something special. They have been close to running me off. I like the sportster but hate the company and its representatives.

I pesonally hate HD dealerships if you cant tell. I am all for them makiing money but not gouging me in the process. I am old and much wiser now. I will look them in the eye and tell them what I really think and ride off. You can call me or what ever but once you burn the bridge I am out. No sale for you no matter the price. What part of this do dealers not get? I am a man of principal and try to live straight and clean and deal with others in a fair way. I am not perfect but HD dealers are the worst of the worst. IN my experience they are just scumbags of the worst kind.

My experience was so bad and this is why I will never ever buy a new hd motercycle again in my lifetime. They flat out suck. I would advise others to do the same. Yes, they pissed me off this bad.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #986
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Nice looking machine, Pvt. Joker.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #987
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Yes, they pissed me off this bad.
Well, I don't hate them quite as much as you. I just have decided that with their volume I can generally always have my pick in the used market of unmolested low-mileage originals.
I do my own wrenching, and don't really care to tap dance with the service dept over warranty issues.

And since the nearest thing to a roadster is an XR1200 right now, and I can buy a Roadster for 1/2 the cost of a new XR12, I figure it's just responsible spending on my part.

I'll go in my local dealer and look around, but I'm not buying anything new. More power to the people who do though.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #988
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Well, I have a 03 1200C that I bought new. I kinda have a love hate relationship with it. My biggest gripe is the vibration and the brakes are not as good as they should be. I have gotten used to the vibration and tamed it somewhat but the brakes need to be up graded. I am just not satisfied with them. I wish I had a bigger gas tank as well but after 100 miles I am ready to climb off anyway but everytime I turn around I am at a gas station it seems.

My bike has been reliable as can be pretty much. No leaks or anything major at all. It still runs like new and has plenty of power for me. I dont ride it really hard but I dont baby it either. I think the evo engines are really reliable pieces. ONe of my friends had a 79 AMF sportster and it was a complete piece of junk. I would like to have a new rubber mount FI sportster but cant justify the purchase when nothing is really wrong with mine. I dont see why it wont last for years to come with basic maintanence. The only real problems I have had have been self inflicted. I got half drunk and dropped it in the driveway and skinned up my vance and hines straight shots and broke off the end of the front brake lever. I still have not fixed either to this day. I really need to do this.
The 79...there used to be a Yahoo group (maybe it's still around) called FAMES. Stood for "fits all models except seventy-nine."

If you think the 4-piston calipers on your late-model solid are bad...the calipers on the new ones are worse.

There is a bracket kit to adapt a Brembo caliper to your bike. Good news is on eBay nobody wants the single Brembos, they all want the duals so when you find a single Brembo you should be able to pick it up for a song.

I could lock the front wheel easily on my XLH with the single caliper. Maybe try upgrading to a stainless braided hose.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #989
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
The idiots in the showroom are going to cost HD in more ways than one. My next one will be used for sure so I dont have to mess with idiots and arrogance. I like the the sportster model but I deplour the HD arrogance like they are something special.

I pesonally hate HD dealerships if you cant tell. I am all for them makiing money but not gouging me in the process. I am old and much wiser now. I will look them in the eye and tell them what I really think and ride off.
You did not fill out your profile so I have no idea where you are from. If you are ever out West, please stop by and say high. I am confident that the dealership where I work will wash the bad taste out of your mouth.

I have heard that dealerships back East (all makes) tend to fall into the
"Stealership" category far more often than dealerships out West.

We are Blessed in the West.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #990
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You did not fill out your profile so I have no idea where you are from. If you are ever out West, please stop by and say high. I am confident that the dealership where I work will wash the bad taste out of your mouth.

I have heard that dealerships back East (all makes) tend to fall into the
"Stealership" category far more often than dealerships out West.

We are Blessed in the West.
Indeed we are...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote