User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1006
crxandwagovan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quick Question

What octane gas should i use for my forty eight?
crxandwagovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #1007
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxandwagovan View Post
From the Harley Davidson website: 91 octane or higher ((R+M)/2 octane rating method)
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1008
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxandwagovan View Post
check the owners manual it should tell ya, but really the lowest you can go without pinging will be fine and every engine reacts differently. At times I was able to run 85 in my 03 883 when the ambient temp was lower.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #1009
crxandwagovan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks guys, yea because on my shadow i ran 87 and was fine but i did read manual and said 91 but do i really need it? Its not that i cant afford it or anything really no big dif, just curios why it needs it
crxandwagovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1010
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I bought an XLX new in '84. It vibrated a lot until sometime between 2000 and 2500 miles, then smoothed out noticeably. After that the vibes never bothered me. Even did quite a bit of two up touring on it (uglied it up with shield, bags, etc). Then they raised the speed limit from 55 to 65 and then 70. It was fine to 62-63, which was good in 55 mph America. At 65 it was gettin' rough and by 70 it was the proverbial paint shaker. I debated changing the gearing, but then bought a big twin
Every one of them is different. Mine actually got better over time also. The biggest thing I have found is to keep the motor mounts torqued correctly. They literally shake loose over time. Keeping the handle bars torqued good also helps. Mine has a shake all of the time but its not that bad. Its the worst between 60-65 but smooths out a 70-75. Over that it really can get bad. Thats 3500 rpm plus and my bike lives between 2500-3500 90 percent of the time. My mirrors are useless as tits on a boar hog. All you can see is if something is behind you but you struggle to make out if its a Ford or Chevy. This is why I would like a rubber mount. YOu can also see red and blue lights but dont ask me how I know that. I got pulled over a while back on a 4 lane road. It was 2 Am and there was no traffic and I was riding in the left lane. Of course 3 cop cars where on the scene of the crime since they didnt have anything else to do. I got searched and my bike got searched for drugs ect... I was stone cold sober and they didnt believe it and I had to take the test on the side of the road. I got run through the ringer and got off with a warning. Cop said the pipes are too loud but we are going to let you slide. I told him the dealer put them on and to write him a ticket and I could prove it.

I rode today in 31 degree weather. Pretty much my limit. Does this make me a real biker because I didnt see anybody out on a big twin.

OldF7Guy screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 02:37 PM
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #1011
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Every one of them is different. Mine actually got better over time also. The biggest thing I have found is to keep the motor mounts torqued correctly. They literally shake loose over time. Keeping the handle bars torqued good also helps. Mine has a shake all of the time but its not that bad. Its the worst between 60-65 but smooths out a 70-75. Over that it really can get bad. Thats 3500 rpm plus and my bike lives between 2500-3500 90 percent of the time. My mirrors are useless as tits on a boar hog. All you can see is if something is behind you but you struggle to make out if its a Ford or Chevy. This is why I would like a rubber mount. YOu can also see red and blue lights but dont ask me how I know that. I got pulled over a while back on a 4 lane road. It was 2 Am and there was no traffic and I was riding in the left lane. Of course 3 cop cars where on the scene of the crime since they didnt have anything else to do. I got searched and my bike got searched for drugs ect... I was stone cold sober and they didnt believe it and I had to take the test on the side of the road. I got run through the ringer and got off with a warning. Cop said the pipes are too loud but we are going to let you slide. I told him the dealer put them on and to write him a ticket and I could prove it.

I rode today in 31 degree weather. Pretty much my limit. Does this make me a real biker because I didnt see anybody out on a big twin.
Ford or Chevy hell. IIRC you struggled to make out if it was a scooter or a mack truck!

It makes you more of a biker than me. I've ridden enough miles in the cold (and wet) that I don't it much anymore unless I just get caught out.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #1012
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Ford or Chevy hell. IIRC you struggled to make out if it was a scooter or a mack truck!

It makes you more of a biker than me. I've ridden enough miles in the cold (and wet) that I don't it much anymore unless I just get caught out.
??? Maybe you got me mixed up I dont know. I about did freeze my ass ran off today no joke. I was cold when I got in. Bike ran good with 20w 50 w in it. Been debating on going to Rotella 15w 40w for sometime. It was flat out cold tonight.

I never saw another bike on the road today and proably for good reason. It was cold. In 31 degree weather this bike fired right up and road fine. The tires were cold and hard but came around. Like I said before, the sportster does not do anything great but it can be put in all sorts of c onditions and survive. They are pretty tough machines imo and will continue to stand the test of time.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #1013
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
First, I don't work at an HD dealer anymore, as I retired last August. Second, when I heard about the new Sportster ("72"?), I was pretty sure it was just another shortened XL. reading the cornering/lean angles in this thread, I'd say it proves it. I don't have access to a 2012 parts book to verify the shocks and fork tube part numbers.

It's a dam shame HD has turned out to have (with the exception of the XR1200s) dropped all the Sportsters with decent cornering clearance. The lean angles of the Iron and Nightser look like the best. A young guy that worked with me at the HD dealership followed me to work on his Nightster one morning on a nice squiggly road. He had never ridden a Sportster with standard length suspension. He couldn't believe the way I was able to lean my 2006 XL883 in the corners without scraping. His 1200cc engine was no help keeping up with my stock 883.

I still consider the post 2003 Sportsters to be overweight. If I get another XL it will be a 2003 or older. I'll put up with the vibes to get a much lighter bike, and one with the trap door transmission.

I have not seen the new '72 live, but since I hate ape hangers, and corner scraping, I am not interested. Still a big Sportster fan though, and have owned two so far.

so the guy following you should have grabbed one of the roadsters is what you really mean :)

got my 1200r in 05 new (now at 21k miles), did the basic upgrades...rejet, slip ons, air filter, went from 58whp/72tq to 72whp/76tq, wore out the shitty dunlops, swapped to metzler 880 marathons. omg what a difference, now on 2nd set of me880s.. spent approx 600 bucks on the non epa friendly mods, after that did the ecu upgrade for +1000rpm and improved timing. now, balls out capable of 130mph at 7k in 5th gear, gets there suprisingly quickly. when i got this bike i was considering the ducati monster, truimph t 100 bonnie, and the thruxton. i dont trust italian engineering at all, the bonnie and thruxton were really sweet, but just was not what i wanted. never rode the older sporties, but dammit, if you can actually ride you can really shame quite a few people on some rather good sport bikes.

and im not a harley person at all, the roadster versions are just bad ass, especially with a little tweaking
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #1014
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is what the idiots at HD dont realize. I am lucky and have the best independent shop ever in my town. Most are not that lucky. I actually think about that when I make a purchase. The HD dealers that I have delt with are complete boneheads. IM not an engineer or mechanic but I have been around long enough to sort out the BS. My local guy is just a gem and a diamond in the rough. He is a well hidden secret and relies on word of mouth. No advertising, hype or BS. Just solid honest work at a reasonable price. I spend every motorcycle dollar I have with him because I want him in business for years to come. I dont even care if he is a bit high. He is usually priced ab out the same as everybody anywaY give or take a bit.

HIs shop is not fancy at all but you can tell they are serious about work. That is what its about. The employees are not arrogant and try to help even when you ask them a dumb question. When you go in for parts they try to find used ones to save you money. Example, I needed a headlight connector and they found me a used one for half the price that works fine.

The HD stealership experience is much different. I hate them and I hate the company as a whole. I just happen to like the Sportsters. They are greedy arrogant pompous bastards. I have no use for any of them. It does not cost a bit more to treat a person with respect. They have grown so big and powerful they have forgotten this. HD needs to be yanked down a notch or three. Just my opinion of course again and sorry for the long winded rant. Yes I own a girls bike and said this. HD needs to be hit in th wallet.

OldF7Guy screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 11:28 AM
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #1015
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Here is what the idiots at HD dont realize. I am lucky and have the best independent shop ever in my town. Most are not that lucky. I actually think about that when I make a purchase. The HD dealers that I have delt with are complete boneheads. IM not an engineer or mechanic but I have been around long enough to sort out the BS. My local guy is just a gem and a diamond in the rough. He is a well hidden secret and relies on word of mouth. No advertising, hype or BS. Just solid honest work at a reasonable price. I spend every motorcycle dollar I have with him because I want him in business for years to come. I dont even care if he is a bit high. He is usually priced ab out the same as everybody anywaY give or take a bit.

HIs shop is not fancy at all but you can tell they are serious about work. That is what its about. The employees are not arrogant and try to help even when you ask them a dumb question. When you go in for parts they try to find used ones to save you money. Example, I needed a headlight connector and they found me a used one for half the price that works fine.

The HD stealership experience is much different. I hate them and I hate the company as a whole. I just happen to like the Sportsters. They are greedy arrogant pompous bastards. I have no use for any of them. It does not cost a bit more to treat a person with respect. They have grown so big and powerful they have forgotten this. HD needs to be yanked down a notch or three. Just my opinion of course again and sorry for the long winded rant. Yes I own a girls bike and said this. HD needs to be hit in th wallet.
Wow! you sure run into a lot of jerks... (Maybe if you didn't ride a girls bike... )

Personally I've had both excellent and terrible experiences at HD dealerships, and Indy shops. Some of those Indy's I wouldnt trust to drop the oil. Literally. Same deal with Chevy, Ford, Toyota and Nissan dealerships.. As near as I can tell they're all individuals run by individuals and staffed by individuals so experiences will vary accordingly.

I've had pretty good luck when I've bought bikes and parts and what not from the various local dealers. I know that dealer A might charge MSRP+ a couple of grand for a new bike but dealer B will sell the same bike for MSRP. I don't get pissed at dealer A. He's making his way in the world too, best he knows how. The MOCO isn't telling him how much to put on the tag, he is. He won't get much business from me but I'm a big boy, I won't whine about it, I'll just move along...
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #1016
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Let's talk luggage

Looking for an inexpensive (<$200) luggage solution,
something good for a light packer's week trip and small enough for a day pack,
that aren't throw over saddlebags.

Been eying the Wolfman Mini-Beta
and the T-bags Falcon.

Leaning toward T-bags, because it's a bit cheaper
and I can get it through Amazon
- just sold back some textbooks and have a credit.

Any other options I should check out?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #1017
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Looking for an inexpensive (<$200) luggage solution,
something good for a light packer's week trip and small enough for a day pack,
that aren't throw over saddlebags.

Here you go. If you want the best there is IMO. Buy what you need and expand it later. http://www.kriega.us/bike-packs/
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1018
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 772

Brought it home yesterday.

10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #1019
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Nicely done, sir. ^
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #1020
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,321
10K. I got one a month ago. It's a riot. Enjoy.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote