Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #1156
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
And don't say XR1200. It's still way too heavy, too low (seat and ground clearance), too much rake and fugly.

Porsche Audi VW

B.Curvin screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 01:04 PM
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1157
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
And don't say XR1200. It's still way too heavy, too low (seat and ground clearance), too much rake and fugly.
This one is at least somewhat lighter and a great deal less fugly, IMHO, maybe you'd agree?

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #1158
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
This one is at least somewhat lighter and a great deal less fugly, IMHO, maybe you'd agree?

I would agree very much. That is sweet. Got a link to more pics or a description of the build?

Porsche Audi VW
Old 03-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1159
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

I wonder how much the stock cast wheels on an XR1200R weigh? I have a sweet set of KTM450SMR wheels that would look real nice on an XR.

Porsche Audi VW
Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #1160
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
I wonder how much the stock cast wheels on an XR1200R weigh? I have a sweet set of KTM450SMR wheels that would look real nice on an XR.
The stock wheels are heavy, I remember an article on an XR1200 built by Storz and they couldn't believe how heavy the wheels were. They went with laced wheels on the build bike.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #1161
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrider View Post
The stock wheels are heavy, I remember an article on an XR1200 built by Storz and they couldn't believe how heavy the wheels were. They went with laced wheels on the build bike.

no doubt, but they are strong as hell, at least whatever version is on the 1200r sporty hehe, i'll tell the story if anyone wants to hear it.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #1162
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
no doubt, but they are strong as hell, at least whatever version is on the 1200r sporty hehe, i'll tell the story if anyone wants to hear it.

Porsche Audi VW
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #1163
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
very well then,

approx 3 years ago i was just dicking around on my bike and i decided i wanted some cigars. so i was rolling to the local cigar shop and all was well, things changed after i got to that stoplight. it was a four lane intersection and i was turning left, thats all fine and dandy because i slowed to a stop when it was yellow and was nowhere near the 'hey stop here cause this is the intersection line), however, the big ass box truck in front of me stopped in the middle of the intersection when it was red. this truck blocked all other lanes while it slowly backed up, but unfortunatley slowy backing up in a vehicle is faster than anyone can back pedal a motorcycle. i saw this shit coming and was on the horn on and off and then solid for probaly 10 seconds before this piece of shit truck came to a stop (on my fucking front tire). at this point this shitty vehicle is inches away, and im still on the horn, its bumper hits my front tire, im watching this fucking thing about to trash my bike, i keep honking, and he finally stops. its like slo-mo as the trucks loading bumper tags my tire and starts to lift the tail of his truck up, thank god he stopped before he crushed my fender and forks, my brand new me880 is pinched down like half way. at this point the bike is straight up wedged, i cant move it, and it stands up by itself.

then,

im off the bike, its straight up pinned by the weight of this truck and leaning probably 20 degrees or so left and the bumper of the truck is probably less than a half inch from my fender thanks to this dickhead driver and he asks, what should i do? (and i mean the bumper was already climbing up my tire, not at all like 'that was close,'

and then,

the driver comes out and is like, 'fuck i didnt see you, what should i do,' and i was like "GO FUCKING FORWARD AND GET OFF MY BIKE," and he did, and there was only a small chunk off of my front me880 tire at the end of it.

that rim if stout, the m880 took some pressure that should have killed it, and i guess im pleased, since that was 6000m ago and all is good.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #1164
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Yeah, make it a 1200 and if they could get it anywhere near the weight of the original it'd really rock. I'm reworking a
Sport I picked up last year into a scrambler but it's always in the back of my mind I'd like to take a rigid Evo and turn it into this...

BTW, Barnett HD sold that bike for 10,000 last year... Sweet little K.

To each their own, I guess. Looks to me like it needs to be painted pink and have a white wicker basket on the front. My little sister would love it.

Guess I'll stick with my fat low XR1200. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 03:13 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #1165
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Just got back from Daytona. I rode the XR1200 and new 72 a lot at the demos. I love the XR. Sitting on it the front end is not raked out to me. It's more Bulleish with the wheel tucked under. Comparing the new X with the first version, the suspension is a big improvement. I like the orange paint and contrasting silver on the cases and swingarm on the earlier version better than the all blacked out look of the X. Just my opinion they went overboard on the black, I mean they painted everything black. The black denium on the tank and fenders looks OK and the white just looks like a refrigerator. I talked to 3 HD employees that worked on the development and they were excited about being involved with the bike.

I also rode the new 72. I always liked the look and finnish HD did with the Nightster but but the slammed suspension ruined the bikes ride and cornering. Not so with the 72, I was suprised how well the bike rode and handled. The forks and shocks actually had some travel. The 21" front wheel lightened the steering and gave a touch more ground clearence. You can still scrape but not like on the Nightster. I was really suprised at how well the bike fit me, I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I don't like foward controls but they were just about perfect for leg comfort. I saw Harley has a new kit to move the fowards back a few inches and this may well be the perfect comprimise on this bike. The seat is a little small for my 53 YO ass. I used to run a Bates solo and cobra seats on my Sportsters in the 1970's, but either my ass has widened over the years or they are making these seats smaller now. Still I would'nt change the seat until I tried it for awhile. Seat, pegs, and bars fit me very well. I know everybody hates the small tank but it looks so damn good on this bike. My advice is if you live where there are few gas stations buy something else. Personally if I needed more range for the ride I would grab one of my other bikes with more capacity. But it would be hard to pass this bike up in the garage because of the ease of handling. My old Sportsters and my old '49 Panhead Chopper with a sportster tank would only go about 75 miles before it was time to find gas. I don't remember ever running out, but you had to be aware of your range.

The detail that Harley put into this bike is amazing. I like the grey cases with polished fins, Even though I am no chrome fan the contrast between the cases and chrome covers is nice. It really showcases the classic lines of the motor. And that small tank makes the motor stand out. I think the hardest decision would be paint choice. The black denium looks damn cool with the bobber styling, but the red metal flake is a true custom paint job and looks good too.

I wish I didn't like the way this bike looks and rides so much. It looks so good I would be willing to put up with the short fuel range. I couldn't justify owning this bike because it would be practical, other than it gets good fuel mileage and is low maintenance. Like my Street Bob I would find it very enjoyable because of the nostalgia from the bikes I owned in my younger days wthout the maintenance and upkeep that came with putting lots of miles on those older machines.

This was my opinion, yours may vary.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #1166
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
I would agree very much. That is sweet. Got a link to more pics or a description of the build?
Soitenly!

Here for build:
http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/sit...rproject/page2

Here for pics:
http://img213.imageshack.us/g/lsl5.jpg/
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #1167
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,298

One of the ways to flog a Sportster.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #1168
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
This was my opinion, yours may vary.
Thanks for the write up, Gus.
It was nice reading your impression of the bike.
Hope you enjoyed Daytona
Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #1169
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Thanks for the write up, Gus.
It was nice reading your impression of the bike.
Hope you enjoyed Daytona
Your welcome. I spent more time giving my impression on the 72 than the 1200X because there are a lot of XR owners on here that can give a better reveiw than me from some short demo rides (though I did a lot of them).

I have not read any ride reveiws on the 72 yet.

Daytona was great. It was all about the motorcycles, Well... maybe not the cole slaw wrestling at the Cabbage Patch
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #1170
1858Remington
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Its new tire time for my 92 XLH1200 and I've narrowed it down to 3 different tires. Looking for imput from other sporty riders who have had experience with these tires.

1. Perelli Night Dragons
2. Avon Venoms
3. Metzler 880