Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #1171
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1858Remington View Post
Its new tire time for my 92 XLH1200 and I've narrowed it down to 3 different tires. Looking for imput from other sporty riders who have had experience with these tires.

1. Perelli Night Dragons
2. Avon Venoms
3. Metzler 880

I'm running the ME880s and can't say enough good things about them. Great traction and they "roll over" very easily in a corner making the bike much more nimble feeling than it was with the Dunlops. The wet weather traction is much better than the Dunlops as well. I have about 6k on my set and they have more than 60% of their tread left.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #1172
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
I've heard good things about all 3 of them. I've always run the Avon's cause they work well for me and I get reasonable mileage out of them, the fronts anyway. Any of them should be a big improvement over the stock Dunlops...

BTW, I've always liked the 1858 Remington, unfortunately I have hands like country hams and the grip sorta gets lost in there. 1860 Army fits alot better, so does the Bisley..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #1173
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Your (You're) welcome. I spent more time giving my impression on the 72 than the 1200X because there are a lot of XR owners on here that can give a better reveiw than me from some short demo rides (though I did a lot of them).

I have not read any ride reveiws on the 72 yet.

Daytona was great. It was all about the motorcycles, Well... maybe not the cole slaw wrestling at the Cabbage Patch
The 72 is IMO the most fun bike in the HD line-up right now. (it is a toss up between the 48 and the XR as to what comes in second)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1174
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
...I saw Harley has a new kit to move the fowards back a few inches and this may well be the perfect comprimise on this bike..
Please elaborate! A few inches back from what? Forward controls? I've been considering rearsets for mid-controls for a Roadster. Most are extremely spendy and a wierd compromise, such as relocating the rear master cylinder to the side of the engine. I'm very interested in this new Harley kit! Got a link?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #1175
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Its new tire time for my 92 XLH1200 and I've narrowed it down to 3 different tires. Looking for imput from other sporty riders who have had experience with these tires.

1. Perelli Night Dragons
2. Avon Venoms
3. Metzler 880
I got more miles out of the Metzlers and more smiles out of the Avons. Never rode the Pirellis.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #1176
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:

1. Perelli Night Dragons
2. Avon Venoms
3. Metzler 880

Here is what to expect from the Metzler ME880. To their credit it did NOT deflate... Only delaminated.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #1177
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Here is what to expect from the Metzler ME880. To their credit it did NOT deflate... Only delaminated.
I highly dought that's a common problem I hear a lot of good about those tires. I personally have only owned the avons on the list and are an excellent tire they stick to the road very well, but the mileage isn't as good as some other tires I've used although not bad.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #1178
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbjumper View Post
A few thoughts on Sportsters...
Many riders talk about buying a Sportster if only they can upgrade the suspension/ cornering clearance; if you are one of these 'glass is half full' people, you probably love the bike enough already to work through what are minor issues on an already stellar motorcycle.
If you are reading this thread and hate Sportsters to begin with (glass is half empty), this is not an attempt to convince you otherwise.
The saying goes something like 'while the optimist (glass half full) and pessimist (glass half empty) were busy debating, the opportunist drank the water...'
So I did, buying a Sportster 48, after selling one of two Buells which live in my garage beside 2 Ducatis, all being ridden as much as possible, on trips, at track days, and during tons of city riding/ commuting.
Working for an HD dealer for a time, I was able to use an XR1200 to teach riding courses with, so I can compare it as well.
After only 2000km on the 48, and browsing every accessory catalogue/ web page on the planet, I can tell you that things are pretty much as I expected, with a few surprises;
first, I am resisting the urge to turn it into a cafe racer- Sportsters are an awesome platform for a cafe bike, for sure, we've all seen them in this forum and everywhere else. I have a Sport 1000 to ride when I get the urge for that sort of thing.
Also, yeah the suspension is crap! I was warned... but I have a Monster 1100s which I bought for next to nothing, with Ohlins front and rear, for when I feel the need for proper suspension.
The Ohlins is light years beyond and ahead of any riding I can do, but at least somewhere in there are the right settings...
To ride the 48 at the same pace on the same bumpy road as the Ducati puts both wheels off the ground and the bike a bit sideways and crossed up... so I slow down on the same road when on the Harley.
The engine?
Every Km clicking by on a Ducati means it's getting closer to $$$ time, whereas on the 48 I just smile because there is only oil and a filter, and some more oil somewhere else to change, and that's about it.
So I understand about suspension issues, however, it is an amazingly good bike with a great motor- capable of evading any traffic issues- if it was my only bike I'd be fixing the forks and changing the shocks, but for now it is truly something different off the menu, equally enjoyable, and stellar on winter pavement.
As for the fuel capacity, I don't care.
As for the paint, HD truly puts out a good product there- I know this, because it was a major undertaking to remove the factory orange, and make the bike a bit more subtle.
If I could have only one bike after riding the Buells, Ducatis, and this 48?
Probably the XR1200, because I love the lack of required valve adjustments and especially the belt drive for winter months.
You may not like any of these bikes if you love the smooth efficiency of anything built by the Big Four, but again, there's alot on the menu for every taste.
Hey CJ...I Demo'ed a 48 at a dealer event and have a question for ya. The throttle response on the demo bike was like a lightswitch. Idle....nothing...nothing...nothing...half throttle. Did you notice anything like that on yours?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1179
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464

I had never seen a Sportster done up as a cop bike until I visited D.C.. I talked to the guys and asked if they were D.C. police, nope Secret Service !
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #1180
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
that's cool, BK. I have noticed the sportster police bike on the HD webpage, but never knew who actually used them. local PD is all road kings. I'm digressing a little, but it's amazing how they flick those road kings around like they were scooters.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #1181
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I guess if they're Secret Service they won't be running loud pipes.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #1182
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Cool pics !!!
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #1183
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I had never seen a Sportster done up as a cop bike until I visited D.C.. I talked to the guys and asked if they were D.C. police, nope Secret Service !
Nice, Harley has sometimes tried to market sportsters as cop bikes from the beginning, I think they even sold some to the shore patrol back in the day.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #1184
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Originally Posted by gus
Your (You're) welcome.

Thanks for the correction Dickez, I thought you were a biker. I did not know you were the spelling and grammer police.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #1185
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus
Your (You're) welcome.

Thanks for the correction Dickez, I thought you were a biker. I did not know you were the spelling and grammer police.
It's weird how ass fuck annoying some of the ADV spelling nazi's are. They get off, as in actually climax to the correction of others spelling. Sad really.