Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #1246
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
is that 883?

I've been looking at a lot of Sportsters. Never thought I'd say that.

I realize I need a Roadster I don't want a L, low, C etc. etc. etc.

The 1200 Roadsters are easy to ID with the dual disc.

Does anyone know if any of the 883's are dual disc and possibly taller suspension?

Any input on the post 2004 rubber mounted engines appreciated compared to the non rubber mounted bikes.
Definitely a Roadster. 883 or 1200, your choice. They came with mid controls, may need forward controls depending on your inseam. You definitely want a rubber mount if you buy a 1200, but may be ok with an 883 solid mount as they shake less than the 1200 solid mounts.I laugh when I see people bitching about the rubber mount bikes weighing 50 lbs more than the earlier version. So what. Many people who ride Harleys could lose 50 lbs and gain all of the performance back By its very design the Sportster is comparatively underpowered and ill handling compared to any modern sport bike, but when you look at it for what it really is - an iconic standard with a bit of nostalgic sporting character that feels a lot more alive than it does a sewing machine - the weight just isn't that important.

In my opinion the '07 R is the cream of the crop. Fuel injection, dual disc, 3.2 gallon tank (instead of the the 4.4 on the '08 which doesn't look as nice IMO). The best of everything. The only issue it doesn't escape is the crap suspension all Sportsters come with. Many people buy some takeoff touring shocks for $50 - $75 bucks on ebay and are plenty happy. I bought a set of progressive 412s and changed the front springs & fork oil with heavier weight stuff. I was plenty happy with that arrangement.

I'll have another one some day.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #1247
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
By its very design the Sportster is comparatively underpowered and ill handling compared to any modern sport bike, .
the fact that those things are even allowed on public roads continues to amaze me. I know a young guy just bought a 2005 R1 for like $5K.

just what he needs....

I've been looking at Harleys for awhile now and I'd like to have a big one but I'm not in the mood to deal with that weight. I just want something to poke along with and enjoy a turn or two when the mood strikes me.

appreciate the input. as fate would have it two 883R's show up on EBay after my post earlier. Iowa and Indiana though the one in Iowa claims he'll deliver to your door. what a guy. check out flea market there was an 02 Superglide for stupid cheap money last night if it's not sold I'd be shocked. thanks for the input on the 07 information is a very handy thing.

what about the 2001 Sport model Sportsters with more HP and "better" shocks"
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #1248
nachtflug
infidel

and thanks to everyone else who responded to my post as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #1249
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
the fact that those things are even allowed on public roads continues to amaze me. I know a young guy just bought a 2005 R1 for like $5K.

just what he needs....

I've been looking at Harleys for awhile now and I'd like to have a big one but I'm not in the mood to deal with that weight. I just want something to poke along with and enjoy a turn or two when the mood strikes me.

appreciate the input. as fate would have it two 883R's show up on EBay after my post earlier. Iowa and Indiana though the one in Iowa claims he'll deliver to your door. what a guy. check out flea market there was an 02 Superglide for stupid cheap money last night if it's not sold I'd be shocked. thanks for the input on the 07 information is a very handy thing.

I have a 97 Sport. The motor is identical to other 1200's, in 1998 they went with a different ignition system, dual plug heads etc.. The suspension is much better with adjustable preload and damping front and rear. It works really well!

"They came with mid controls, may need forward controls depending on your inseam. You definitely want a rubber mount if you buy a 1200, but may be ok with an 883 solid mount as they shake less than the 1200 solid mounts.I laugh when I see people bitching about the rubber mount bikes weighing 50 lbs more than the earlier version."

Couple of things here I noticed, the forward control deal for one. I have 36" inseam and ride a Sportster Sport, I'm in my late 50's. Not a big deal if you pick a decent seat for your bike. Rubber-mounted Sportsters are overrated. An answer in search of a question. I've ridden nothing but rigid 1200's since they started making them and unless you're extremely sensitive to vibration (carpal tunnel or some such) they just aren't that bad... They are heavier too but the newer engine has better head designs and run very strong so you'll probably only notice that on the scale. I don't have 50# to lose so I'm stuck with rigids but you couldn't go far wrong with a rigid XL1200S, put the money you save into seat, bars and quarter fairing upgrades.

woodnbow screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 08:28 PM
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #1250
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by isldtime View Post
The 1st. one was a '87 883 that ended up at 1202,twin plugged,cammed,flat slide and Super trapped. What a blast!!

25 years later I got the Sportster urge....

Here we go again!!!! Some Fun!

Sorry about the crappy camera phone picks, too busy ridin'

Finally found pics from the 1st Sportster.

It started life as a 1987 883 delux that went out the door new for $4500...

Then I went crazy!!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #1251
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
is that 883?

I've been looking at a lot of Sportsters. Never thought I'd say that.

I realize I need a Roadster I don't want a L, low, C etc. etc. etc.

The 1200 Roadsters are easy to ID with the dual disc.

Does anyone know if any of the 883's are dual disc and possibly taller suspension?

Any input on the post 2004 rubber mounted engines appreciated compared to the non rubber mounted bikes.
I had a solid-mount XLH883 for a long time. Miss it.

I rode my bud's rubber mount but didn't get to thrash it in the twisties.

Some of the people on the XL forum that were fans of the twisties drove themselves nuts trying to chase down handling quirks in the rubber mount models. My guess is that comes from the swingarm connecting to the frame through rubber.

The late model solids also had better brake calipers--4 piston opposed.

This would be my ideal setup:

Late model (2000-2003) xlh883.

Long shocks, full-length forks with modded internals.

Dual discs with braided lines.

Programmable ignition, forged dished-piston 1200 conversion with tool steel wristpins (keeps piston weight low, actually weighs LESS than the stock 883 slugs). Maybe put some bigger valves in and some andrews N8s or N2s. Tune it on a dyno, and then go have fun. Plenty of people with dished piston conversions have said that there is no increase in vibration and the extra 25 horsepower is nice.

Oh yeah, and a nice wide Mustang seat for my fat ass.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #1252
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:

Performance-wise, the dual-plug 1200 is an evolutionary dead end. Also, have to pull tank to change top 2 plugs. AFAIK, dual-plugging the EVO head isn't as effective as dual-plugging the old Ironheads.

derek

Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #1253
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post

would any 2000-2003 883 with dual disc have to be an "R" and would that also mean that it came with the longer forks?

many thanks for the input I do appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #1254
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Many people who ride Harleys could lose 50 lbs and gain all of the performance back
I hate these dang stereotypes.

I only need to lose 30 lbs.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #1255
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410

From here:
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/features/1204_hbkp_2007_harley_davidson_sportster/index.html
Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1256
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,052
Thumbs down

looks like an occ jr design.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #1257
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I had a solid-mount XLH883 for a long time. Miss it.

I rode my bud's rubber mount but didn't get to thrash it in the twisties.

Some of the people on the XL forum that were fans of the twisties drove themselves nuts trying to chase down handling quirks in the rubber mount models. My guess is that comes from the swingarm connecting to the frame through rubber.

The late model solids also had better brake calipers--4 piston opposed.

This would be my ideal setup:

Programmable ignition, forged dished-piston 1200 conversion with tool steel wristpins (keeps piston weight low, actually weighs LESS than the stock 883 slugs). Maybe put some bigger valves in and some andrews N8s or N2s. Tune it on a dyno, and then go have fun. Plenty of people with dished piston conversions have said that there is no increase in vibration and the extra 25 horsepower is nice.

Oh yeah, and a nice wide Mustang seat for my fat ass.

what are the supposed handling quirks the rubber mounts have?

i've put close to 21000 miles on my 2005 1200r and really don't have any idea what they may be talking about.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #1258
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:

just what he needs....

Really liked the suspension. Other than that I didn't have much interest.

I saw the super glide. If I were in the market I would have been all over it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #1259
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post

Couple of things here I noticed, the forward control deal for one. I have 36" inseam and ride a Sportster Sport, I'm in my late 50's. Not a big deal if you pick a decent seat for your bike. Rubber-mounted Sportsters are overrated. An answer in search of a question. I've ridden nothing but rigid 1200's since they started making them and unless you're extremely sensitive to vibration (carpal tunnel or some such) they just aren't that bad... They are heavier too but the newer engine has better head designs and run very strong so you'll probably only notice that on the scale. I don't have 50# to lose so I'm stuck with rigids but you couldn't go far wrong with a rigid XL1200S, put the money you save into seat, bars and quarter fairing upgrades.
Everyone's different. Some people can't stand mids. Personally I like them.

I disagree about the vibration difference between rigid and rubber mount systems. I've owned three sportsters and have ridden literally hundreds of them from iron heads to the latest injected models during the decade I worked for the MoCo. From one to the next they can be worse or better. But for sure there was a noted difference, though admittedly I found it most annoying at highway speeds and higher revs. Otherwise it isn't so bad, but it is enough overall that my next sportster will once again be a rubber mount. Ideally I'd love to have a 2007 injected 883R in black, just like the '06 I had that someone rear-ended and totaled with the exception of the fuel injection upgrade. If not that bike, then I'd like to have an 883 Iron.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #1260
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
would any 2000-2003 883 with dual disc have to be an "R" and would that also mean that it came with the longer forks?

many thanks for the input I do appreciate it.
I think so, but adding a disc to any mag-wheel 883 is pretty simple--no need to buy a new wheel like on a bike like the NH750 or Magna.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of lowered Rs out there. However, the Rs have probably been lowered using a lowering kit and not shorter tubes so they would be easy to return to stock height.

All standard 883s and Rs came with the long forks. Dunno if the Hugger model used shorter tubes or not.

derek