Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #1276
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian03xl View Post
Iirc the wobbles started to happen when the rear suspension was raised too high somewhere around 14.5" shock length I believe. Also when raising rear suspension since the swing arm pivots on a different axis than the drive pully the belt tension changes with swing arm movement and since everything is rubber mounted too much belt tension will cause some weired handling issues.

good to know, i shall keep my suspension mods under than height.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #1277
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
Added a few things to make a sporty tourer

Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #1278
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness View Post
What fairing is that?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #1279
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
What fairing is that?
Arlen Ness, Direct bolt on, don't be fooled, you need to remove the gas tank in order to replace the headlamp harness with a longer one, as the lamp gets moved forward about six inches.

Works great though
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #1280
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Arlen Ness, Direct bolt on, don't be fooled, you need to remove the gas tank in order to replace the headlamp harness with a longer one, as the lamp gets moved forward about six inches.

Works great though
Looks really good too
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #1281
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:

Works great though
Wow. Arlen Ness made something for a Harley that I actually like. Who'd a thunk

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #1282
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

i've always been torn on the quarter fairing for the roadsters. sometimes i think its looks great, other times i dont care for it at all. i have almost bought one several times.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #1283
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,321
I spoke to someone today who's my age that I've known a very long time. been working on Harleys since the 70's. machinist. ex woods rider. a fast one. knows bikes. knows harleys in intimate detail.

built this because someone asked him too.

bikes are his life. harleys are his bikes. claims he'd rather have a carburetor because he knows how to tune one, the FI stuff you need a laptop and different maps and "I ain't into all that shit"

in short when he's talking about bikes, I listen.

annnnyyway.

he says the difference between a rubber mounted 2004 and newer sportster compared to the pre 2004 bikes is.........like night and day with regards to a smoother ride.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1284
ADK
WANDRNG, WONDRNG...

Oddometer: 8,054
Cool2

Sounds like you haven't even ridden one yet. Doesn't your pal Pat Moroney have a few kicking around that you could ride?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #1285
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Sounds like you haven't even ridden one yet. Doesn't your pal Pat Moroney have a few kicking around that you could ride?
I have not. they've got the usual C's and Low's etc on the floor used but no Roadsters. I could be wrong but you look on ebay and most of the sportsters are C's and L's and the Roadsters are few and far between and either they don't make/sell many Roadsters or the people who buy them aren't as quick to sell them as the ones who bought the C's and L's etc. Or a combination of both.

I've been asking Pat about a FLHS that an old homie of ours had and low and behold this week he's buys a 1982 FLHS. I'm sure he bought it right but I thought it was kind of funny. He's been buying nice Shovels though so I know he didn't buy it with me in mind. Claims he can't be seen on anything "new".

He bought a nice 81? FLHT 5 speed shovel. Very rare. Mechanic there claims its got better suspension than a new HD.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #1286
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I have not. they've got the usual C's and Low's etc on the floor used but no Roadsters. I could be wrong but you look on ebay and most of the sportsters are C's and L's and the Roadsters are few and far between and either they don't make/sell many Roadsters or the people who buy them aren't as quick to sell them as the ones who bought the C's and L's etc. Or a combination of both.

I've been asking Pat about a FLHS that an old homie of ours had and low and behold this week he's buys a 1982 FLHS. I'm sure he bought it right but I thought it was kind of funny. He's been buying nice Shovels though so I know he didn't buy it with me in mind. Claims he can't be seen on anything "new".

He bought a nice 81? FLHT 5 speed shovel. Very rare. Mechanic there claims its got better suspension than a new HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwTt4_aJAg

dear god someone please tell me how to have the vid actually show up without a link. anyways, fun stuff happens at about 50 seconds in, after than bounce to about 3:50 and see my normal riding group.

anyways, perhaps this little vid shows why people tend to hang onto the R models.

sargev55 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 07:15 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #1287
ADK
WANDRNG, WONDRNG...

Oddometer: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I have not.

I've been asking Pat about a FLHS that an old homie of ours had and low and behold this week he's buys a 1982 FLHS.
Well, ride what he's got so you have an idea if you even like the size/vibes/performance.
Funny you mention the 82 FLHS, 30 years ago when I said I liked them, my buddies laughed at me and said it was a turd.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1288
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
My Sportster turned Dual Sportster. Just finished it, so I'll post this update...

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #1289
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
My Sportster turned Dual Sportster. Just finished it, so I'll post this update...

Wow, that looks proportionally perfect. Well balanced looking and looks like the MoCo built it.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #1290
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Bought a nice low mileage 07 883L today. I decided to pick one up about a year ago and have had my eye out for a good one. It's been fitted with forward controls which aren't my bag, but I picked up a set of mids for $30 and I have a spare set of RK air shocks in the garage to raise the rear up a tad. Interesting riding it as the last Sporty I rode was a chopped ironhead back in the late 70's. The rubber mounts make it incredibly smooth; it feels less vibey than my W800. Nice zingy motor and it feels remarkably light, even compared to the 215kg W800. Should be a lot of fun - has that feel about it. It's had the SE FI dealer tune and comes with the SE pipes, but the PO didn't like the noise so he put the standards back on. This one is for touring so at some stage I'll put the bigger tank and a grandpa seat on it as I often have a pillion. (Pic from ad.)

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote