Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #1291
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
This one is for touring so at some stage I'll put the bigger tank and a grandpa seat on it as I often have a pillion.
I don't know what kind of aftermarket choices y'all have down in OZ but I loved my Mustang seat. Very well built and more comfy then the stock seat on my Concours. I had the wide sport touring model.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #1292
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
My Sportster turned Dual Sportster. Just finished it, so I'll post this update...

The best one I have seen to date. Your creation is what the Sportster could be and is to Dualsports as to what the Storz XR is to Streettrackers.
Nicely done. Details! We need details!

withiam screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 06:32 PM
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1293
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by withiam View Post
The best one I have seen to date. Your creation is what the Sportster could be and is to Dualsports as to what the Storz XR is to Streettrackers.
Nicely well done. Details! We need details!
Thanks Withiam! I like the comparison quote. All the details are in the link below.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #1294
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,729
Quote:
Bought a nice low mileage 07 883L today. I decided to pick one up about a year ago and have had my eye out for a good one. This one is for touring so at some stage I'll put the bigger tank and a grandpa seat on it as I often have a pillion. (Pic from ad.)

looking good. does anyone know if the L is just a R with one disc and shorter rear shocks?

when you say the bigger tank, what is that tank and how much bigger is the bigger tank and what model tank would that be?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #1295
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Peanut tanks for the newer sports are 3.3 gallons. 48s are 2.1 IIRC.
The C and later FI Rs had a 4.5 tank.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #1296
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
looking good. does anyone know if the L is just a R with one disc and shorter rear shocks?

when you say the bigger tank, what is that tank and how much bigger is the bigger tank and what model tank would that be?

stupid people might lower an R model, but would they move the pegs forward from mid, and convert dual front disc to single? i probably dont want to hear the answer, but i think thats an L model. most of the roadsters have the swoosh on the gas tank, and most are the smaller peanut style tank
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1297
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
I guess the real question should be. Would taller shocks and putting a second disc up front make an L into an R?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #1298
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I guess the real question should be. Would taller shocks and putting a second disc up front make an L into an R?

no, the cams on the R are more aggressive, and compression is higher.

this is from a review a while back, its kinda basic,

"XL 1200R Sportster 1200 Roadster features:
Rubber-mounted XL Evolution 1200 engine
Silver powder-coated engine and covers with black powder-coated cylinders and heads
High-compression, high-flow cylinder heads
High-performance cams
New 1-inch diameter rear axle and stiffer swingarm
Triple-disc brakes
Tachometer
Mid-mount foot controls
13-spoke aluminum wheels
Wide polished handlebars
Classic 3.3-gallon fuel tank"

the R is a bit different, although if you leave them stock they are about the same, the R model just responds crazily to the basic mods.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!

sargev55 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:59 PM
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #1299
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
The XL883L has shorter shocks and shorter fork tubes I believe. Also the bars on the one in the photo are not the stock bars. They look like the stokers from the standard XL883, or from an XL883R/XL1200R. I believe the only shortened Sportster that came with shorter shocks but had standard length fork tubes were the XL883C and XL1200C....the ones that also had the 4.5 gallon tanks. I don't know about the latest 1200 Custom, but I think both ends are shortened on them.
I just read that HD is dropping the XR1200, which means there is NO Sportster that comes with any kind of decent ground clearance problem. Dam shame. You can still buy an XL883R in England.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #1300
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
3.3 for the new peanut (12.5L), but 4.5 from the Custom is what I'm after. I do about 200km a day so the small tank is a bit of a pain. I have a 14L tank on the W800 and I generally have to refill every second day.

This is a standard L which has had forward controls and even lower rear shocks fitted. The price was a bargain, came with a pile of original parts and spares etc, it was owned by a Jag restorer and is in mint condition apart from the clear coat peeling on the forks - which doesn't worry me. I had been looking for a 1200 Roadster for preference, but they aren't common here and the only one in good nick I found was asking about $1K more than I was prepared to pay. In the end, this one came in $5K less than the 1200 Roadster, the bigger engine isn't really an issue for me, and the cost savings allow for a lot of add-ons. Which I've already started buying, God help me...
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #1301
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
stupid people might lower an R model, but would they move the pegs forward from mid, and convert dual front disc to single? i probably dont want to hear the answer, but i think thats an L model. most of the roadsters have the swoosh on the gas tank, and most are the smaller peanut style tank
If you only knew how many S models I've seen running 11" 412s and forwards...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #1302
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,729
Quote:
3.3 for the new peanut (12.5L), but 4.5 from the Custom is what I'm after. I do about 200km a day so the small tank is a bit of a pain. I have a 14L tank on the W800 and I generally have to refill every second day.

This is a standard L which has had forward controls and even lower rear shocks fitted. The price was a bargain, came with a pile of original parts and spares etc, it was owned by a Jag restorer and is in mint condition apart from the clear coat peeling on the forks - which doesn't worry me. I had been looking for a 1200 Roadster for preference, but they aren't common here and the only one in good nick I found was asking about $1K more than I was prepared to pay. In the end, this one came in $5K less than the 1200 Roadster, the bigger engine isn't really an issue for me, and the cost savings allow for a lot of add-ons. Which I've already started buying, God help me...
I heard everything that comes into australia gets slapped with close to %100 tariff. god knows what you guys pay for them used. that bike would be in the 6-7K range here. and thats asking price. the custom tanks are nice but the standard R peanut tanks are what makes those bikes look so good.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #1303
calico jack
Pro Trigger Puller

Oddometer: 115
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My 09' on my first trip to Deals Gap 2009.
calico jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #1304
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
If you only knew how many S models I've seen running 11" 412s and forwards...
Yeah. When I was looking for a FXDX Superglide Sport I ran into the same thing.
FXDX came with longer, fully adjustable Showa suspsension front and rear.
I'd see ads for them with "lowered" rear shocks.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1305
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
I heard everything that comes into australia gets slapped with close to %100 tariff. god knows what you guys pay for them used. that bike would be in the 6-7K range here. and thats asking price. the custom tanks are nice but the standard R peanut tanks are what makes those bikes look so good.
No tariffs, just huge markups on most of the brands sold here, which naturally keeps the used prices high as well. For Japanese parts the general rule of thumb seems to be to double the US sticker price then add the 10% GST factor, and blame it on high import costs. It is far more expensive to buy a Triumph here - shipped from the close-by Thailand factory - than it is to get one in the UK, and they have a 17.5% VAT. Importers are slowly learning due to the huge increase in lost sales due to private overseas internet purchases. I can get parts landed here in a week from the US, Japan or UK including expensive air shipping at 50-75% of the local cost, and without the three week wait for the supplier to get it from the 'warehouse'. Many excuses are given for the high prices of most things in Australia, but the reality is that it is simple greed on a captive market. The city I live in has the highest electricity cost per kWh in the developed world for example. I have no idea what the current new price on a Harley is, but used 1200s are usually around the $12-14,000 mark, $10-11,000 for an 883. I paid under $8000 for mine.

The peanut tanks look good, but I average about 1000km a week and that's a lot of refills. I prefer function over form in this case.

Scrivens screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 07:02 AM
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote