User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1306
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
My 2003 basic 883 Sportster

That Sportster (and Sportsters in general) are some of the best looking motorcycles ever built as far as I'm concerned.

Not to pollute this thread but my 1998 Ducati M900 was also a looker

I owned both of them at the same time and apparently didn't know how good I had it. Sold them both several years ago for some silly reason.

Been kinda wanting another HD for a while now. I think the new "Forty Eight" is a pretty good looking machine (I'm digging the fat front tire thing) I may just end up with one of those.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1307
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quick question for those who have gone to 13" rear shocks on a Low: what did you do about the side stand, if anything?
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #1308
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
My Sportster turned Dual Sportster. Just finished it, so I'll post this update...

In a word, AWESOME!!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #1309
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Quick question for those who have gone to 13" rear shocks on a Low: what did you do about the side stand, if anything?
Trade with somebody going the other way. XLF is a great site to find a suitable party to perform the exchange.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #1310
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Trade with somebody going the other way. XLF is a great site to find a suitable party to perform the exchange.
Must be too used to fabricating things; I didn't even think of that - thanks.

Took the 883 for a long run in the Hills tonight; cold, raining but I couldn't help myself. What a magic little engine. Nice and revvy with a good torque spread and decent gear ratios. The rubber mounts are pretty amazing - not a vibe at all cruising on a steady throttle between 100 and 120kmh coming back home via the freeway. As I mentioned earlier, I hadn't ridden an EVO Sportster, only the ironhead 30 years ago so I wasn't sure what it would turn out like. A real hoot. I still do 3-4000km a month and I've owned a lot of desirable and now-classic bikes over the last 40 years, so I'm not easily impressed. There are a few ergo things I'll change, but the engine is a peach.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #1311
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
I run 15 inch rears on my Sport model, the stockers are 13 or 13.5" I disremember which but I left my sidestand stock for the time being. It seems fine as is, a trifle more lean.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #1312
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 781
Question Nightster Project

I am in the pencil and paper stage of a Nightster project. I want to take a Nightster as a base to make a "Standard/Scrambler".

My plans, hence the posting to bounce the idea of others, is to mount the fork tubes of a "C", rebound rods/pistons of a "C", Intiminators and Works springs in the front. Then the question is what length of rear shocks? 14.5" seems about right according to Mark-I eyeball. My plan of action, once the target Nightster is found, is to do the front and then fab up some struts and play with the length and see what happens; once the right length is found get shocks that size.

What does the asylum think?

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #1313
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I am in the pencil and paper stage of a Nightster project. I want to take a Nightster as a base to make a "Standard/Scrambler".

My plans, hence the posting to bounce the idea of others, is to mount the fork tubes of a "C", rebound rods/pistons of a "C", Intiminators and Works springs in the front. Then the question is what length of rear shocks? 14.5" seems about right according to Mark-I eyeball. My plan of action, once the target Nightster is found, is to do the front and then fab up some struts and play with the length and see what happens; once the right length is found get shocks that size.

What does the asylum think?

I think your C tubes are the same length as my Sport tubes, I'm running 15" Progressives in the rear currently. Mixed results for me. I like the length and clearance handling is quicker almost twitchy so I'm considering either going to the KTM front end or back to the 13" stock Sport shocks. Another complication is the chain conversion, I went 24 tooth front and 51 rear to help with clearance at the swingarm pivot but I still need a rub block on the pivot as well as the mounting bracket for my exhaust pipe. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #1314
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 781
Thumb Faster handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I think your C tubes are the same length as my Sport tubes, I'm running 15" Progressives in the rear currently. Mixed results for me. I like the length and clearance handling is quicker almost twitchy so I'm considering either going to the KTM front end or back to the 13" stock Sport shocks. Another complication is the chain conversion, I went 24 tooth front and 51 rear to help with clearance at the swingarm pivot but I still need a rub block on the pivot as well as the mounting bracket for my exhaust pipe. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it...
I know about the quicker handling issues with longer rear shocks; part of the reason to go to longer rears shocks. So, if you are running 15" rears and things are a bit flaky, then my first "Mark-I" eyeball assessment of 14.5" shocks seems dead on?!? And if still a bit flaky a steering dampener will cure the rest.

As to the chain issue, not a issue since I will stay with a belt. This will be something along the line of a standard bike, a.k.a. Triumph Bonneville.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #1315
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
My Sportster turned Dual Sportster. Just finished it, so I'll post this update...

I followed your build thread for a while in the past. Wow... just Wow!

You are, in fact... THE MAN!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #1316
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
I want a fuel injected, rubber mounted 883R soooo bad...

mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #1317
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,153
That color and year Sportster is on ebay right now. 3400 miles. I have no affiliation with it. One of my ebay auto searches kicked it up.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #1318
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I know about the quicker handling issues with longer rear shocks; part of the reason to go to longer rears shocks. So, if you are running 15" rears and things are a bit flaky, then my first "Mark-I" eyeball assessment of 14.5" shocks seems dead on?!? And if still a bit flaky a steering dampener will cure the rest.

As to the chain issue, not a issue since I will stay with a belt. This will be something along the line of a standard bike, a.k.a. Triumph Bonneville.

Boom! There you go! You're gonna like that Scramster!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #1319
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
My friend "Rock" out and about on the '75 XLCR. Yeah it's all original, except for the tires that he got about 5 years ago NOS.

Anybody know where to get some more of those Goodyears?

lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #1320
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
My friend "Rock" out and about on the '75 XLCR. Yeah it's all original, except for the tires that he got about 5 years ago NOS.

Anybody know where to get some more of those Goodyears?

as someone that is in the tire biz, you do not want new old stock tires.

heed that advice.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote