User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #1336
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,052
Cool2

A 1200 kit is about $600 if you find a good deal on an 883.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #1337
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Here's my latest addition, traded my GSX-R600 for it this morning, even trade. Planning on a windshield, better seat, and some throw-over bags for now. I might swap the handlebars out soon also, but I'm going to give these ones a chance to grow on me since they're already there.

It's a 1999 883C. I'm impressed with the power so far. As much as everyone says they are gutless, I put about 100 miles on it today and it had plenty for what I was doing. Cruised a few backroads, plus maybe 15 or 20 highway miles. Uphill on the highway it was working hard, but still holding speed fine.

Any seat recommendations? Looking for all-day comfort, with a passenger. I know that's a lot to ask out of a sportster.

jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #1338
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Mustang makes a seat called the Wide Vintage Touring. I have one on my FXR and it's really comfortable. I know others that run them on sportsters and like them too. Nice looking sportster, if later on you want more power you can bolt on a 1200 cylinders and dished pistons for a really cheap upgrade.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #1339
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Mustang makes a seat called the Wide Vintage Touring. I have one on my FXR and it's really comfortable. I know others that run them on sportsters and like them too. Nice looking sportster, if later on you want more power you can bolt on a 1200 cylinders and dished pistons for a really cheap upgrade.
Thanks. I just looked at their website, looks good to me. I'll probably go ahead and order that one on payday. The bike needs a good cleaning, but overall it's in pretty good shape for a 99. A few scratches here and there, some chrome pitting in spots. Nothing too major. Only 19,000 miles too, so there's a lot of fun left in her.

I probably don't see myself going to a 1200 anytime soon, but who knows. I'll have to get the girlfriend and some luggage on the back and see how it does one day.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #1340
390beretta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Must say, as I've said in another thread: Don't much care for Harleys and even less for "most" who ride them but some of these Sportsters make my nipples hard LOL! No offense meant to anyone, just think a lot of Harley riders are "posing" and most (not all) couldn't ride their way out of a paper bag!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #1341
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Here's my latest addition, traded my GSX-R600 for it this morning, even trade. Planning on a windshield, better seat, and some throw-over bags for now. I might swap the handlebars out soon also, but I'm going to give these ones a chance to grow on me since they're already there.

It's a 1999 883C. I'm impressed with the power so far. As much as everyone says they are gutless, I put about 100 miles on it today and it had plenty for what I was doing. Cruised a few backroads, plus maybe 15 or 20 highway miles. Uphill on the highway it was working hard, but still holding speed fine.

Any seat recommendations? Looking for all-day comfort, with a passenger. I know that's a lot to ask out of a sportster.

Love those tassles.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #1342
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Must say, as I've said in another thread: Don't much care for Harleys and even less for "most" who ride them but some of these Sportsters make my nipples hard LOL! No offense meant to anyone, just think a lot of Harley riders are "posing" and most (not all) couldn't ride their way out of a paper bag!
I hate a lot of the harley guys, I cringe hearing them talk. My favorite is when someone would look at my GSX-R600 and say something like 'That's only a 600? My 1200 sportster could beat that thing'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Love those tassles.
They're already gone. I went straight home and cut them off, then I had to put earplugs in to ride the thing around. I don't know how those guys ride with straight pipes, my ears were ringing by the time I got home.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #1343
cycowrencher
harley ridin puke.

Oddometer: 21
My ride.

cycowrencher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1344
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I avoid paper bags like the plague! How embarassing would that be, especially if I'm wearing my assless chaps!

As I've said elsewhere, XL1200S's rock! And so do all their little brothers!

Depending on the size of the people involved, the 883's will work fine, I think there's a thread around here somewhere of a couple that rode one to Patagonia?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #1345
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Love those tassles.
Those, sir, are properly referred to as "bitch whips".

Please lose them. And the pullbacks that they are attached to. I had a pair on my Sportster, they put my wrists through torture. Don't try to force yourself to use them, they hurt (and look odd).

Yes, the Mustang Wide Vintage is the current gold standard for comfort, if not sleek styling.

Congratulations on the bike! Have fun!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #1346
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Those, sir, are properly referred to as "bitch whips".

Please lose them. And the pullbacks that they are attached to. I had a pair on my Sportster, they put my wrists through torture. Don't try to force yourself to use them, they hurt (and look odd).

Yes, the Mustang Wide Vintage is the current gold standard for comfort, if not sleek styling.

Congratulations on the bike! Have fun!
Tassles are already gone. I have a stack of old handlebars in my garage, I'm going to start swapping them out and see what looks and feels best. First thing to try is some bars from my XR, if I like them I'll powder coat them black and run with it. Might look weird with the crossbar though.

I'm going to order the Mustang seat soon. I think I can balance out the styling some, I'm going to add some other touring stuff to make it a more comfortable ride. Seat, throw over bags, better shocks, windshield. I might get a taller sissy bar, I have to see what the boss wants behind her. As is my tail bag doesn't quite fit as secure as I'd like.

I think I'm going to try my hand at making some parts, such as saddlebag mounts, sissy bar, and luggage rack. I'm a welder by trade, my neighbor owns a body shop, and I have a blast cabinet and powder coat gun. I also have tons of old parts in the garage, mostly Sportster stuff and CB750 stuff.

Anyone play with rim size for better tire options? I'm wondering what would be a fairly inexpensive way to get a more reasonable rim size. Probably 17" on the back, I don't know about the front. Maybe an 18" for some PR2's, but I don't know how that would look with the front fender, or if it'd fit between the forks right. More research...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #1347
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
juleso83

Get some mid mount pegs if you want comfort. At traveling speeds your feet will blow off the forward pegs.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #1348
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Get some mid mount pegs if you want comfort. At traveling speeds your feet will blow off the forward pegs.
I already experienced that. I'm looking for a used set, for now I think I'm going to try and bolt a set of pegs in the mid mount location for highway use. I have the peg brackets for the mid mount in the garage, but I'm missing some parts to switch the whole thing over. Been in a box for the last 10 years, who knows what happened to the rest of the parts.

How do guys ride with highway pegs? Wouldn't it be even worse? Seems like the whole day you'd be struggling just to keep your feet on the pegs.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #1349
cycowrencher
harley ridin puke.

Oddometer: 21
You don't struggle to keep your feet on the pegs, you struggle to keep blood flowing through your ass to your feet. I had forwards, and would switch between that position and the passenger peg to keep blood flowing. I have installed mids and now have 3 leg positions to choose from when on the slab. The controls are on the mids.
cycowrencher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #1350
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Swapping bars may not be as simple. Most Harley's have dimples on the bottom of the bars to run the wiring through. Using regular bars without them will pinch the wiring.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote