Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #1411
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Might find some ideas here. It's a great build. Nice bike!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #1412
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Um... is that the first we've seen of that rig on these pages? If so , why were you hiding it?!

That is totally bad-ass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #1413
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,314
I've lost interest in sportsters. I want a Switchback.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1414
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Since this is all Sporties all the time, maybe someone could point me to a chain tensioner for a late model Sporty? XR1200 Dual Sportster Hack. I converted to chain in order to play with gearing, and in conjuction with my 2" over shocks, I end up with 2" of chain play with the bike parked in order to have 1/2" play when fully compressed. Surely someone else has solved this on a Sporty?

Went out playing around today... Pulled the fender off as I was trying to sort out some wierd noises. And a skid pan is next on the list..

It does not look steep, but steep enough to bump start in about 5 feet...

i bow before you.

that is fucking awesome.

for your question as regarding tensioning, ill see if any of my oldschool moto buddies can think of anything. if they have anything beneficial i will post it or forward it to you.

btw, is that a car tire on the rear?
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #1415
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Thanks for the comments. I did a couple build threads over in the hack forum. Just never spent much time over here. The REALLY awesume build is by JTH, mentioned a couple posts ago. Don't know how I missed that thread; but I have been working on this beast about a year. Too much time in the garage I guess. I need to read his posts in their entirety, as he seems to have solved some problems that have bedeviled me. Like the chain tensioner.

Yep, that is a Comtrac 16x5 car tire on a Fat Bob rim. I have a couple other hacks, and 3-4000 miles on a bike rear tire is about normal. I figured with the low end torque this thing puts out, that was not going to get any better. Have about 2500 miles on this, and I have lost about 0.125" of tread, slightly less than 1/4 total. I think guys on solo bikes doing this (car tire) are nuts, unless you are just going to do 10000 freeway miles for an Iron Butt. But for a hack it's tits.

Wanted to fit a Rally tire, with a bit more agressive tread. But for our fire roads kind of riding, this works great. Still may, if this thing ever wears out, and I can find one over here. Only place I have seen is the UK.

Hopefully, if Wasp can git 'er done, I have a leading link fork set coming soon. The HD forks are fair, but seals are weeping, and they flex a bit too much laterally for my liking on fast sweepers with bumps in the middle.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #1416
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I did a couple build threads over in the hack forum. Just never spent much time over here. The REALLY awesume build is by JTH, mentioned a couple posts ago. Don't know how I missed that thread; but I have been working on this beast about a year. Too much time in the garage I guess. I need to read his posts in their entirety, as he seems to have solved some problems that have bedeviled me. Like the chain tensioner.

Yep, that is a Comtrac 16x5 car tire on a Fat Bob rim. I have a couple other hacks, and 3-4000 miles on a bike rear tire is about normal. I figured with the low end torque this thing puts out, that was not going to get any better. Have about 2500 miles on this, and I have lost about 0.125" of tread, slightly less than 1/4 total. I think guys on solo bikes doing this (car tire) are nuts, unless you are just going to do 10000 freeway miles for an Iron Butt. But for a hack it's tits.

Wanted to fit a Rally tire, with a bit more agressive tread. But for our fire roads kind of riding, this works great. Still may, if this thing ever wears out, and I can find one over here. Only place I have seen is the UK.

Hopefully, if Wasp can git 'er done, I have a leading link fork set coming soon. The HD forks are fair, but seals are weeping, and they flex a bit too much laterally for my liking on fast sweepers with bumps in the middle.
Hey Pago - Nice build ! For the chain tensioner on the Scorpion, I started with a spring loaded tensioner from MonsterCraftsman that bolted directly to my 03 frame (where the exhast mount used to go). But what I found was that a hard mount tensioner wheel worked just a good due to the chain tensioning itself as the swingarm moves up. So, just the initial tension is needed. I made my own bracket (w/ horizontal slotted holes for adjustment) and used the urethane wheel w/ bearings from Monstercraftsman. They will sell the wheel alone. Hope that helps.

http://www.monstercraftsman.com/?l1=...&l2=tensioners

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #1417
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I've lost interest in sportsters. I want a Switchback.
So what's it going to take to get you on the bike today?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #1418
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
So what's it going to take to get you on the bike today?
A good trade-in on his Sportster that he didn't buy.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #1419
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. That looks perfect; nice and simple. I was trying to wrap my head around this spring loaded thingie and where to weld a boss on the frame to handle the loads. But with a fixed system it becomes quite a bit simpler; and I guess... the loads are rather small as well, now that I think about it. Still not sure where to mount it from on the frame, but maybe I can use the 2 bolts (shown in your pic) where the rear master cyclinder lives on some Sporties. For some odd reason, even though the XR rear master cylinder is NOT in that location, they left the bolt bosses in the frame. Clean chain by the way...
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #1420
ROK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Jim,

... Clean chain by the way...

My chain on my 2001 Honda XR650R looked like that most of the time. It was an O-ring chain and I used Home Depot's Dupont teflon spray on it. It sprays on wet, drys in seconds and coats the chain with teflon. Dust and dirt would just about fall off from running down the road (I made it street legal) after pounding in the dirt. Quick spray with the teflon at later time blasted everything off.

I had tried everything else you could think of (cahin lubes, waxes, WD-40, etc.) and they all made a mess.

Really like the belt drive on my 1999 883C Sportster. Fun bike!

I had sold my XR650R about 4 years ago. Tried out a bunch of used bikes. Then rode this for sale Sportster out Tanque Verde Creek road and part way up Reddington. When I got back test riding it, my wife said I had the biggest grin she had seen since I had been test riding used bikes. Definitely a visceral feel to a Sportster. It feels like a motorcycle, like an old Chevy/Ford rat-rod and not a comfort couch or cramped two wheeled fighter tarmac jet.
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #1421
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,543
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #1422
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Hey question for you guys. Can you hear the pistons move in your bikes? I have a sound that can only be described as piston rings on a cylinder wall. My sportster and dad's softail does it, my road king is quiet. Sportster has 19,000 miles, Night train has 8,000 miles, Road King has 14,000. Shouldn't be a break-in noise I would think. The Road King is the only one with stock mufflers, so it's defiantly not making a noise.

Also, anyone have an exhaust recommendation for the hard mounts? It has slip-ons with baffles removed. I'm looking for all the power I can get from an 883, so I'm hoping for a 2 into 1 exhaust that isn't too loud. Seems like the aftermarket has all but given up on the older ones.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1423
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Hey question for you guys. Can you hear the pistons move in your bikes? I have a sound that can only be described as piston rings on a cylinder wall. My sportster and dad's softail does it, my road king is quiet. Sportster has 19,000 miles, Night train has 8,000 miles, Road King has 14,000. Shouldn't be a break-in noise I would think. The Road King is the only one with stock mufflers, so it's defiantly not making a noise.

Also, anyone have an exhaust recommendation for the hard mounts? It has slip-ons with baffles removed. I'm looking for all the power I can get from an 883, so I'm hoping for a 2 into 1 exhaust that isn't too loud. Seems like the aftermarket has all but given up on the older ones.
You can still find the Supertrapp 2-1 and 2-2 pipes on ebay. Direct from Supertrapp as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1424
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Vance and Hines
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #1425
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Supertrapps definitely look trick, and are supposed to be too.
Though it's seems pretty comparable, $ wise, to throw in a 1200 kit.
That'll definitely give you all the power you can get from your 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Vance and Hines
Terribly dumb post there fella.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote