User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #1
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
KTM 690 Basel Quest, anyone?

I'm seriously considering building a KTM Quest from KTM Basel. I'd like to talk to someone who has built the bike in the US to hopefully avoid mistakes and to understand things like import duties. Can anyone help? PM me if you know of someone who might take the time to point me in the right direction.

Current bike:

Future bike:

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 602
There's a thread already.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=Basel

What's your timeframe for ordering as I am considering this as well. I recently sold my 950 Adventure and want a solo dirt tourer. So it's this quest 690 or a raid designs 950r SE.
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Been going back and forth on Basel kit myself or simply buying a 450 / 690 RR.

My search efforts turned up a few 690RR's in Europe for sale. To purchase and get them back here then rebuild to new condition and street legal is around $24k. Ouch but then you have a true rally race bike. Ok not a big deal to some.

Then I discussed with one of our members here that built his Basel 690 from his 690R. With the extended suspension all in he was at $23k. Makes me step back and consider the factory rally bike again.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,679
I went with the Basel over the other options.

1) Wanted the 700cc motor, long service intervals, low end torque and EFI
2) The Basel kit has the 450 tanks front and rear which to me are an improvement over the fat rear tanks of the 690RR

These bikes don't make financial sense on paper...but I would do it all over again....

new '13 690...was something like 12k
Kit was roughly 7k
Woody's 2k
300mm Tractive suspension 2k

everything thing from foot pegs , skid plate, bars, grips, etc etc etc...3k

betcha I could sell it for 13.....hahahahaha....sigh....

fun as hell to ride though.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all of the thoughts and pointers provided here and elsewhere. Now, off to find a "donor" bike.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I went with the Basel over the other options.

1) Wanted the 700cc motor, long service intervals, low end torque and EFI
2) The Basel kit has the 450 tanks front and rear which to me are an improvement over the fat rear tanks of the 690RR

These bikes don't make financial sense on paper...but I would do it all over again....

new '13 690...was something like 12k
Kit was roughly 7k
Woody's 2k
300mm Tractive suspension 2k

everything thing from foot pegs , skid plate, bars, grips, etc etc etc...3k

betcha I could sell it for 13.....hahahahaha....sigh....

fun as hell to ride though.....

You get most of the Rally looks this way but the handling is still very different due to the different linkage, longer swingarm, lower offset triple clamps (and longer forks?). The frames are also different, although I'm not sure if it's actually the geometry or only the rear upper shock mount (machined piece on the Rally vs cast on the E).

The Rally is way more stable at higher speeds/sand/ruts etc, in direct comparison with the Enduro it feels a bit like a luxury line cruiser going through choppy sea vs. a small boat. On the flip side it doesn't turn as easily or quickly, so harder to ride in the tight stuff.

I definitely prefer the feel of the FI 690cc motor over the Rally, just revs up a lot nicer and cleaner from the bottom unlike the Rally that has crazy top end but nothing on the bottom (this is with the stock Rally = Evo 2 cam, it's loads better now after going to the Enduro/SMC cam). The one thing I hated about the FI was the stalling when chugging up very slow hills when loaded down with full luggage, even after trying all the remapping options I couldn't get rid of it. The carbed Rally won't accelerate at all when I do that but it simply won't die either.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You get most of the Rally looks this way but the handling is still very different due to the different linkage, longer swingarm, lower offset triple clamps (and longer forks?). The frames are also different, although I'm not sure if it's actually the geometry or only the rear upper shock mount (machined piece on the Rally vs cast on the E).

The Rally is way more stable at higher speeds/sand/ruts etc, in direct comparison with the Enduro it feels a bit like a luxury line cruiser going through choppy sea vs. a small boat. On the flip side it doesn't turn as easily or quickly, so harder to ride in the tight stuff.

I definitely prefer the feel of the FI 690cc motor over the Rally, just revs up a lot nicer and cleaner from the bottom unlike the Rally that has crazy top end but nothing on the bottom (this is with the stock Rally = Evo 2 cam, it's loads better now after going to the Enduro/SMC cam). The one thing I hated about the FI was the stalling when chugging up very slow hills when loaded down with full luggage, even after trying all the remapping options I couldn't get rid of it. The carbed Rally won't accelerate at all when I do that but it simply won't die either.
Lukas, I've been following you and Lyndon on Facebook and on the ADV thread. Great stuff. Did the engine of your 690 Rally finally come together? I helped rebuild the top end of my 950, and I know exactly how you felt in putting yours back together and not knowing if it would explode when you hit the starter. I got the timing wrong on my V-twin the first time out, so it almost did. Less of a problem with the 690.

Mine:

I wish I could buy a 690 Rally here and make it street legal. Sadly, that will never happen. The best that I will ever be able to do is to build a Basel Quest.

So, yes, we are doing this.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss View Post
Been going back and forth on Basel kit myself or simply buying a 450 / 690 RR. My search efforts turned up a few 690RR's in Europe for sale.
But how would you make it street legal in the US. I've had the same debate, but I've heard that it's impossible to get a true 690 Rally plated.

In some ways I'd prefer a bike with a race pedigree. Then again, I love building something with my own hands and then going out and riding it. Nothing like that feeling, ya know?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Lukas, I've been following you and Lyndon on Facebook and on the ADV thread. Great stuff. Did the engine of your 690 Rally finally come together? I helped rebuild the top end of my 950, and I know exactly how you felt in putting yours back together and not knowing if it would explode when you hit the starter. I got the timing wrong on my V-twin the first time out, so it almost did. Less of a problem with the 690.

I wish I could buy a 690 Rally here and make it street legal. Sadly, that will never happen. The best that I will ever be able to do is to build a Basel Quest.

So, yes, we are doing this.
Hi Orangecicle,

Thanks for following! Yes I got the engine back together after the rebuild in Tokyo and installed the bike, and I am very relieved to say that it now runs beautifully, smoother and quieter than ever before, also than my 690 Enduro engine ever did! We found that one of the needle roller bearings in the gearbox had crapped out so that the gear was wobbling in neutral and eating itself up, ring spec was 3-4x what it should be, and the cylinder and piston were completely polished smooth, which explains the horrible oil use and hard starting. I much prefer the Enduro/SMC/Duke gearbox and cam I have in it now over the Rally, I just wish I've have found a cheap 12+ long stroke crank for it while it was all apart. I actually have a low km 2013 690 SMC engine sitting at home that would have been the perfect swap candidate, but it was too expensive and painful to ship to Japan vs. just the parts to rebuild mine.

I don't think you could get a Rally street legal in the US in an entirely legal fashion, but there are 2 or 3 of them running around over there with plates using some loopholes in the law.... They do sell for a hefty premium though, and I don't think you could get one imported yourself and built up to like new spec for $24k, unless you don't need a rear luggage rack so you can skip the 450 Rally rear end conversion (that alone will cost $3-5k and a lot of custom work).

I personally really like the thought of a 2014+ 690 as a basis if the ABS and the EFI is really as good as people say, built up with a Basel kit, and ideally factory Rally forks/shock/swingarm/linkage etc. I was very happy with my built up 690 Enduro originally but one go on Lyndon's Rally through some choppy rutted sand tracks in the Aral sea showed me what I was missing, so I made up my mind to get one as well. You could get very close to that and in some ways better with the bike I am describing above, for a similar cost.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
In Texas it is easier to plate an off-road competition only bike. The crux is how a U.S. RR owner imported the bike. If they did not have the EPA/DOT cert performed at the time of entry into the U.S. then that can be expensive above and beyond the $15k -$25k of obtaining a decent RR. Not sure I am ready for that government abuse. Have not ruled it out completely but the Basel kit does make it hard.

We have a ADVRider member that has a basically unused 450 RR but hearing that a damn factory piston kit for that bike is $4200 yikes !
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

Having owned an earlier 690E...I agree..

With Basel build on a '13 bike however a few things changed...you have slightly better steering geometry and the FI is now spot on...

As to the ride...yup....didn't feel right on the stock bike....once the Tractive shock was added though the clouds parted and the sun came out....I may be wrong in my set up but I backed the pre load out of the rear...the bike turns slower but is rock stable....the extra weight of the kit and fuel make it less twitchy at speed....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
But how would you make it street legal in the US. I've had the same debate, but I've heard that it's impossible to get a true 690 Rally plated.

In some ways I'd prefer a bike with a race pedigree. Then again, I love building something with my own hands and then going out and riding it. Nothing like that feeling, ya know?
Awesome bikes!,few getting around in oz that are street legal. ktm australia got them here a few years ago.

johnno950 screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 08:33 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
migrator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Are the front tanks on the Basel plastic or fiberglass?
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
oem plastic
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
Are the front tanks on the Basel plastic or fiberglass?
Spun nylon per the Basel site. They are supposed to be the same tanks used on the 450 rally bike. The tanks come painted, so I assume that it's the same material as used on the 950 tanks -- polyamide 6. The 450 Rally: