User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
Shinko 700

Who's tried the new(ish) Shinko 700 tires? I tried the usual forum search and was surprised to find very little info. Someone's got to have given them a try.

If so, how do you like them? How was the traction, both on and off pavement? How did they wear?

I'm thinking about running a rear 700 along with a TKC80 front on my XR650L for a Trans-Lab trip later this summer. Would love to hear about people's experiences.

Thanks.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
I've spent loads on the internet and have hardly found anything good about them.

I generally don't like the idea of cheap tires, and a little time searching usually backs up my theory.

IF you want inexpensive, my recommendation would be Kenda. They sponsor bicycle racing, PepBoys carry's their car line and they have awards manufacturing and safety . But, I find their sidewall info and published weights VERY inaccurate, and I think they are made of nylon.

I had one but I don't have enough experience riding to offer a valid opinion.

I believe Maxxis is the performance branch of Shinco. I think the story goes, they had such a crappy rep when they wanted to come out w/ a performance line, nobody would buy them. So they changed its name.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 04:37 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,109
let us know & please take some pics.
haven't seen any reports yet.
the mold is a kings. shinko bought the mold.

a better matched higher end german tire (to match your high end front tire) would be mefo explorer or heidenau k60
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

maxxis (tawain a.k.a. china) & shinko (japan/korea) are not related.
maxxis is high end of chen shing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
I've spent loads on the internet and have hardly found found anything good about them.

I generally don't like the idea of cheap tires, and a little time searching usually backs up my theory.

IF you want inexpensive, my recommendation would be Kenda. They sponsor bicycle racing, PepBoys carry's their car line and they have awards manufacturing and safety . But, I find their sidewall info and published weights VERY inaccurate, and I think they are made of nylon.

I believe Maxxis is the performance branch of Shinco. I think the story goes, they had such a crappy rep when they wanted to come out w/ a performance line, nobody would buy them. So they changed its name.
Butler Maps website:
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
a better matched higher end german tire (to match your high end front tire) would be mefo explorer or heidenau k60
Yeah, my original thought was a Mefo Explorer, but they're freaking expensive. I could buy a TKC AND a Shinko 700 for less than the price of a Mefo. As for the Heidenau, they're not actually available here yet, are they?

I'll probably end up just running a TKC rear on my trip -- I'm just a little concerned about it lasting for the whole thing.

--mark

Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Yeah, my original thought was a Mefo Explorer, but they're freaking expensive. I could buy a TKC AND a Shinko 700 for less than the price of a Mefo. As for the Heidenau, they're not actually available here yet, are they?

I'll probably end up just running a TKC rear on my trip -- I'm just a little concerned about it lasting for the whole thing.

--mark
sorry dude, thought you used a 130-17 which is avail right now
http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/index.html
looks like no 18 in that model & size will be avail.
Butler Maps website:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,508
Shinko and Cheng Shin are NOT related.

Shinko makes quality tires.
Cheng Shin makes shit. They also make Maxxis.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,508
The 700 seems to be about the same style as the Metzler Sahara Enduro 3. Might want to check that out, too.

A lot of people say it's the same tire as the discontinued King KT-966, and Shinko bought their mold.
I'm calling bullshit on that for three reasons:

1. It's a different tread pattern.
2. Shinko uses good rubber. King does not.
3. The King KT-966 isn't even discontinued! It's still on their website, even!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
sorry dude, thought you used a 130-17 which is avail right now
http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/index.html
looks like no 18 in that model & size will be avail.
Actually I see that they do have a 140/80-18 available, which is what I run on my XRL, but it's considerably more expensive than a TKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
The 700 seems to be about the same style as the Metzler Sahara Enduro 3. Might want to check that out, too.
Again, significantly more expensive than a TKC. Did I mention that I'm a cheap bastard?

I'm actually kind of tempted to try the 700 rear. It's half the price of the TKC and is knobby enough for the Trans-Lab. I just wish I knew how it wears and how it handles on paved twisties (where the TKCs are surprisingly good).

--mark

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
I've spent loads on the internet and have hardly found anything good about them.

Kendas are for the most part garbage. IRCs are a better choice for the lower end of the price spectrum.

Shinko have no relation to Maxxis. They were formerly Yokahama tire company. They got bought out by another company who just changed the name. I can't say about motorcycle tires, but that company used to make high end car tires with an excellent reputation.

I too have been researching this tire and have been curious and will probably try it.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
I bought a set of shinko 700 rear tires. So far I have put about 550 miles on the first one. I started a report of the on the DR650 thread. Today I went out to my hunting camp to give them a try in the mud after a few days of rain. Keep in mind they are a 50/50 tire and do not compare to the 760 Trackmaster for off road. I am running a Trackmaster on the front. The shinko performed better than I had expected. The hill going in my lane is steep and mud over clay, I was spinning most of the way but made it in one shot. I have had other tires that would not make the hill so I would say that if they provied the milage that they should I'll be pleased.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I've got a Shinko 700 on the rear of my KLR650. I like the handling on pavement and gravel but haven't had a chance to get off road yet.

The tire has about 1200 miles on it now and looks like it may be good for about 5000 miles.

I had the Kenda 270s on my DR650 and they were great off road but the Shinko feels better on the pavement. It's hard to compare because they were on different bikes. For the price I think it's a good tire.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad
Shinko have no relation to Maxxis. They were formerly Yokahama tire company. They got bought out by another company who just changed the name. I can't say about motorcycle tires, but that company used to make high end car tires with an excellent reputation.
Shinko bought only the motorcycle tyres part of Yokohama. Yokohama still make car tyres.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,466
Allright, I'm in. Too cheap not to try. Ordered a pair of rears, the 5.10/18 will try them with a TKC front. I have a set of karoos that will look badass, but lasting won't really be the thing they do best.

Should be here soon.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote