Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #181
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
So I have received an email that ADV8 has posted:

---Quote (Originally by BergDonk)---
I can move the sprocket teeth about 2-3 mm laterally
---End Quote---

Did you do as I suggested 3 or so bearings ago,nup.

But I can't see it on the thread. Nevertheless, I've done asearch on ADV8s post re 'cush' and found the following:
http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8530917

Am I right in distilling from these posts that you are using a different bearing than stock, but you don't mention what it is and why, and you also suggest to check the clearance of the carrier without rubbers installed for excess movement?

This recent failure was on the second hub I got, admittedly second hand from the wrecker, and it had about the same play as the original, but a loose fit for the bearing as noted above.

What do you consider acceptable play in the hub when fitted with no rubbers? What spec bearing are you using, a looser one like a C3 perhaps?

Thanks
Steve
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #182
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thought I might do a bit of an update. Now at 35,xxx kms and counting. Got a Flinders trip planned for April, and maybe a Cairns trip in May. In the meantime, not much to report other than been riding and done routine maintenance, with a couple of exceptions:

SCREEN
Got a new SFB (Screens For Bikes) screen for my DR before Christmas to replace the previous one which broke. A log 'spear' hidden in some ferns while I was attempting to avoid a bog hole was spotted at the last moment. I dodged my upper body left and under it, sort of, and it missed my heart and took out my screen, GPS, mirror and throttle cable, nicked the rhs armpit of my jacket, and soiled my undies! Not my time yet

Ordered the screen on line Sunday night before Christmas, contacted SFB Monday am with CC and had the replacement here Weds. Excellent service.

I'd never ridden my DR without the screen because it came delivered with it when I bought it, and the PO was about as tall as I am and it seemed to work OK. After riding it home without, I decided that I needed a replacement because it just works so well. I was offered the unbreakable version but decided against it as something has to break, and if it doesn't, maybe its more expensive in the end?

I like the SFB screen, and their service.

FRONT RIM
The stock front DID rim did what they do, ie crack at the seam. They did this on my ITs and my 501 Berg in years gone by. For trail bashing I used to get my boilermaker brother to weld them up, but it was only ever temporary. For an adventure bike when far from home I wanted it right, so sourced an ex RMZ Excel rim on ebay and a hd stainless spoke kit from JTR and laced it up yesterday.

It 1.6 rather than the stock 1.85 but Ill live with that and dont expect to be able to tell the difference. I will find out

TYRES
So far I've got about the following out of rears:
2 x E07 10,000 kms
E09 Dakar 6,000 kms
606 3,500 kms

Fronts
2 x MT21 7,000 kms
1 x E09 Dakar 7,000 kms
1 x 606 7,000 kms with perhaps 2-3,000 usable left

I've got a rear Michelin T63 in the shed cause it was cheap on the day and plan to use on the Flinders trip, and I've got a V Rubber VRM140 too for the shed. Its an MT21 clone, DOT approved, cheap and should go about 3,000 based on a mate's experience with them.

I've also got a Pirelli Scorpion Rally front coming soon to try.

Of what I've used so far, the 606 on the front is preferred, followed by the MT21 and the E09 a distant last. The 606 works even better backwards too, more stable in the soft, and doesn't cup as bad. If I didn't turn it around I'd have struggled to get 4,000 kms before it drove me nuts. Gotta turn the MT21s too, but they are not directional.

Up back, they all work, grip vs life applies, and perhaps the E09 is the best compromise so far. The T63 @ $110 may be better value. An E09 Dakar nearby on the same day was $170. Flinders trip in April will determine it, probably paired with the Scorpion Rally, should be about a 5,000 kms trip.

Up back, once the 606 wears a bit, it is about the same as the E09 for grip, and is probably worse as it wears more. The E09 grips more consistently as it wears, keeping a squarer edge on the tread blocks.

And FWIW, the T63 was moulded made in Czechoslovakia just like the Mitas, so presumably out of the same factory. As others have noted, it looks a lot like the E09.

Cairns in May will have an E07 up back I suspect.

FCR JETTING
Did some more refinement, leaning it a bit more last year, so a few more kms per tank, usually 600 700 kms, and still runs good.
Now at:
FCR Jetting
SD3 800m
Main
Needle
EMP
clip from Top
PAJ
Leak
Pilot
Fuel Screw
Float
Start
Cut airbox, FMF PB header, at nominally 800 m, but fine at sea level too.

SUMMARY
All the upgrades and fixes have so far worked nicely for me, although some are still a bit of a mystery, like the cush hub. Got a new one on the way and will fit it with a fresh double row bearing for the upcoming adventures. This DR650 is giving me as much, or more, pleasure as any bike Ive had over the years and it now does exactly what I want it to do. Its comfy, pretty reliable, relatively cheap to run, and goes anywhere. Just hope 3rd gear hangs in there....

Steve
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #183
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been asked a few times what all the crap is that I lug about everywhere, so:

Spare HD tubes, one in each side of the bash plate.

The tank bag has some rolls of tape, a pair of safety glasses for the rain in the soft bag, some rag, and in the lid, a 8 mm spanner, tyre gauge, pen and lighter. In the pocket at the back is a Chapstick. Its also equipped with 2 x 12v outlets for the GPS, phone, UHF radio, etc. And enough space for a snack or whatever on the day. The yellow thing is a strap wrench for the fuel cap. It leaks if it isn't tight, and its then a locking cap too.

The Ventura bag on the back rack has a can of chain lube, some 'Wet Ones' and a telescopic stand for propping either wheel in the back pocket with room to spare. One side pocket has some straps for whatever, and the other has a throttle rocker for when it makes sense, and some soft ties.

Some who have been paying attention might note that its not the Gearsack that appears in previous pictures. It was new in 1982 and had probably done over 200,000 kms on various bikes of mine over the years. It finally died. A Ventura has replaced it, and I doubt it'll last a fraction of that. Don't make em like they used to

The stuff to the lower left is from the stock tool tube under the lhs sidecover. Some tape, zip ties, spare levers, chain breaker and some chain and a few master links.

In the bag that lives on the 'sub' rack out back is a Leatherman clone, spare spokes and nipples for both wheels, tube patch kit, clutch and throttle cables, a cable repair kit in the round tin, tyre levers and pump, more tape, a wiring diagram and mini multimeter, some wire, epoxy putty, some rag, and a first aid kit.

In the Kelly Tool bag behind the seat is some rag, a brush, some spare bolts and nuts, and a variety of hand tools including a small socket set that will give me access to pretty much anything on the bike.

Other than when my clutch went, all this stuff is used to fix other peoples bikes

And some of you with an eye for detail might note the FE650 sticker on the sidecover above. The original Suzi stickers wore off, and I had a spare set of the FE650 ones in the shed, so I thought I might play some tricks with some peoples heads. Has been noticed by a few, and questions have been asked

Steve

BergDonk screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 03:35 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #184
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
...and maybe a Cairns trip in May.
Are you heading beyond Cairns (ie Cape York)? If yes, keep an eye out for 3 DRs (maybe a 4th one) and a yellow F800. We're leaving Cairns 14 May.

BTW: enjoying your thread
11 K1600GTL
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #185
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Are you heading beyond Cairns (ie Cape York)? If yes, keep an eye out for 3 DRs (maybe a 4th one) and a yellow F800. We're leaving Cairns 14 May.

BTW: enjoying your thread
Planning, and have permission from SWMBO, to be up there for the DSMRA AGM, 19/20 May.

http://www.dsmra.asn.au/

I'm on the national committee, and also former VP for a few years and like what they try to do. And its an excuse for a ride, although I've also offered to transport others bikes up there who might fly up, so we shall see. If I did that, I guess the Berg would go, but I like the idea of riding the DR up and back.

Did the Cape in 2001, and no plans at this stage to go further north this trip, yet....

Seems like you might be about a week ahead of me.

Steve
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #186
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thought I might put this pic in, I've mentioned my Bergs a couple of times, and my GTR. Here are my 2 650s and my 1400GTR. If you haven't figured it out b y now, I'm no photographer.

As mentioned earlier, with pipe and carb mods, Berg has 63 hp at the wheel on the dyno, and with the stock 10.5 l tank filled, its 122 kgs wet, ready to go. Got a 16 l Clarke on in the pic. Lost the scales, so yet to weigh the DR650. My missus' KLX250 with less fuel, 8l, but similar bling, and 300 cc is 129kg on the same scales.

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #187
rodeonick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I T vented the carb and removed the limit switch while I was in there, just in case.

can you please explain the whys and hows as to these mods to me please? i have an 05 dr650 and cant wait to get better set up for touring.
Cheers Nick
rodeonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #188
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeonick View Post
I T vented the carb and removed the limit switch while I was in there, just in case.

can you please explain the whys and hows as to these mods to me please? i have an 05 dr650 and cant wait to get better set up for touring.
Cheers Nick
The later DRs in some (all?) markets have an electrical, limit, switch on the BST40 carb that tells the ignition when full throttle is applied. Presumably it retards the ignition at some high revs. It doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference and it just clutters up the carb. It also has the potential to jam up and perhaps create other issues. Disconnecting it causes no problems, and removing it from the carb cleans up the carb. One less thing to go wrong if removed.

The RHS of the carb has a breather hose that does just that. It goes down under the engine and equalises the pressure in the carb. When going through water, the bottom of this hose is blocked, and the carb stops breathing properly and can result in a stall which isn't nice in the middle of a deep water crossing. T venting is to install a T fitting near the carb and run a second hose up. I ran mine up under the tank. The stock BST40 isn't too bad for stalling, but its an easy mod to do. Its also worth putting a filter on the top hose, else some dust will find its way into the carb. A small fuel filter works fine.

The FCRs like I've fitted are really bad for stalling when the vents get wet. The FCRs have 4 breather hoses and already have a version of T fittings. What I did here was to take the 2 upper hoses and run them up under the tank and behind the headlight. For a filter I used the original small round black filter from the BST40, the one that vents the diaphragm and lives on top of the airbox. You know about that one, right? Needs to be serviced when you do your air filter, or at least checked. If they clog up, or don't filter properly, you'll have carb problems.

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #189
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tyre Update

So now at almost 47,000 kms and nothing much to report other than routine servicing. The last valve check at 40,XXX involved 1 inlet valve being adjusted. This is the first one, it was just at, or below, min clearance.

The Pirelli Scorpion Rally used on the front now has over 7,000 kms on it and will likely go to at least 10,000 kms. A very good tyre, stable in sand, cuts through ball bearing gravel, doesn't shred on the rocks, and good enough on the bitumen too. Its also got a stiff sidewall which helps reduce rim damage and pinch flats. They wear evenly with mminimal to no cupping, and keep a square edge. I have another in the shed to replace this one with and feel this is the perfect front tyre for me on the DR650.

The T63 I used for the Flinders trip lasted just over 5,000 kms but did worry me abit as some of the tread blocks started to separate from the carcass. Stayed intact, but... It only happened on the rhs, and for about 1/3 of the tyre so presumably a quality control issue. This tyre was made in Czechoslovakia, presumably at the Mitas factory. I have another in the shed which is made in Thailand. We shall see. At $110 they are much cheaper than the seemingly equivalent Mitas E09 at $150+.

The V Rubber VRM140 was not very good. Lasted 2,400 kms and I couldn't wait to get it off. Unstable, and only predictable in the sense that it was unpredictable. Got better as it wore down though. It was also a 120 90 18 which was/is a very small tyre, more like a 100 100 18. I note that a good mate of mine, whose judgement I trust likes the 130 17 on his DR, and it certainly doesn't slow him down. Their 130 18 is too big for me with my 18" rim and longer travel shock. A 120 80 18 606 is the biggest tyre I can use, it just kisses the underside when bottomed.

So right now, for road biased travel, the E07, for mixed riding, the E09 or T63, and for more off road, the 606 up back all matched with the Scorpion Rally up front is where I'm at.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #190
rodeonick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks very much steve for the reply. muchly apprieciated. I'll do both at my next service.
cheers Nick.
Ps and you have just made my tyre choices a whole lot easier too. ta
rodeonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #191
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeonick View Post
Thanks very much steve for the reply. muchly apprieciated. I'll do both at my next service.
cheers Nick.
Ps and you have just made my tyre choices a whole lot easier too. ta
No worries.

ER70 just posted this about the scondary filter, with pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #192
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Top Dog DR Tuena DR Rally 2012

Thanks to judge Sidetrack Bob for the accolades. I think he liked the suspension, but maybe it was the patina of crud? Plenty of other worthies too, so no doubt a tough decision.

Steve
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #193
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
looks good mate.

Shame about the dr650 its sitting on
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #194
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
looks good mate.

Shame about the dr650 its sitting on
Yeah, bit of a catch 22 though as to be eligible for the trophy, that's what was needed
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #195
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

More on Tyres

I assembled this table as a summary of my comments above, so might as well post it here too:

Rears Mud Gravel Rocks Sand Life
Heidenau K60 70% 90% 100% 80% 85%
Mitas E07 50% 80% 80% 80% 100%
Mitas E09 80% 90% 100% 90% 55%
Michelin T63 80% 90% 100% 90% 55%
Dunlop 606 100% 100% 95% 100% 40%
VRM 147 90% 80% 90% 80% 30%

Fronts Mud Gravel Rocks Sand Life
Pirelli MT21 90% 90% 100% 85% 100%
Pirelli Scorpion Rally 95% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Mitas E09 50% 60% 85% 70% 60%
Dunlop 606 100% 100% 90% 90% 70%

Note that I haven't got any criteria for sealed road operation, they are all good enough. The bit of an outlier is the Heidenau which I haven't used as their 18" doesn't suit me, but their 130/17 did service on another DR650 on our last Flinders loop and so the ratings relate to that.Also did some time on a KLR that I'm familiar with, so happy to include it. The other rears are all 18s for me, but have suitable 120 or 130 17s for more normal DRs.

Just fitted a fresh E07 rear and Scorpion Rally to head for Qld next week and expect to do about 6-6,500 kms. Tagging along with some mates to Julia Creek. They are then going on to the OCR, but I have to be home sooner, so that's as far as I get this time, probably....