Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
MertDog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
TomTom Navigator Horrors

Has anyone else had experiences with a TomTom Rider on their motorcycle. I've had the worst experience with this product and even worse with their costumer service departments. My new navigator "crapped out" after just 2 weeks on the road, mounted on a R1200GS Adv. At the beginning of July I contacted TomTom, asking for help and after 3 weeks I was able to send the unit back to them. I included a letter with details of the problems and possible solutions. My questions went unanswered. I was sent a new unit, but without the mount (necessary to attach it to the bike) and without a AC charger (necessary to use the unit). After three weeks of calling and emailing, I'm now told that the parts that I am missing will be shipped this week. I've heard this before....many times before. So far, for over $800, I've gotten 2 1/2 weeks of use and 2 months of frustration. The product worked fine for a navigator, but poorly as a gps. It doesn't give you any information about where you are, beyond your own vision. Zooming out does not help, as all the detail is lost. I've had much better experience with my Garmin Etrex Vista. I used it to travel cross-country for 5 years without incident. What experiences, if any, do you have? I don't see many reports on the TomTom Rider.
MertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 927
garmin garmin
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,293
Bummer about your experiences with Garmin. I have had nothing but good luck with them.

One note though. They specifically told me to send the unit ONLY when I sent mine in for repair. No accessories, no box, just pack it well. They sent me a NEW unit within 5 days, no hassles at all.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Bummer about your experiences with Garmin. I have had nothing but good luck with them.

One note though. They specifically told me to send the unit ONLY when I sent mine in for repair. No accessories, no box, just pack it well. They sent me a NEW unit within 5 days, no hassles at all.

Jim
Reading comprehension, bro.

Anyhow for the price you par for the TomTom why not get the BMW Garming kit? Integrates very well and come with the car kit and other neat stuff.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Reading comprehension, bro.

Anyhow for the price you par for the TomTom why not get the BMW Garming kit? Integrates very well and come with the car kit and other neat stuff.
Doh!

Still, a testiment for Garmin!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #6
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
I've read a couple of professional reviews on the Tom Tom and the reviewers were not overly impressed with it.

You might want to check out the new motorcycle specific GPS by Garmin called the Zumo. It's watereproof (unlike the Tom Tom) and it's desgned to be operated with a gloved left hand. It was designed by and for bikers.

http://www.garmin.com/zumo/
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Joey
READZ

Oddometer: 81
repairs

The tomtom rider is a ferkin nightmare, my fucker fell off the holder twice. The bike powerlead is crap doesn’t put any charge into the unit and if the units bat is very low it wont even power it up, keeps switching off. Only way to get a response from tt is via the site, and don’t try to reply to the email they send you, you have to go back to the site to do that, they are bloody hard work. I got ripped off buying the western European maps in August, the tossers kept the price high because it was height of season, its like £70 less now, how pissed off does that get you?

On the + side mine is waterproof I have been in some really heavy downpours, the western European maps I got worked brilliantly in France and Spain, no complaints about the navigation it was brilliant. TT have said they will replace the units cover under warranty, but no suggestions as to a better type of holder, the supplied one is simply not fit for the job. Every credit it still worked fine after two heavy falls.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was considering a TomTom Rider as a permanent mount on my bike. I think I'll keep shuffling my Garmin around from bike to bike to car..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,821
TomTom service

I've not had much luck with TomTom while attempting to address issues with my PalmOne version of the TomTom Nav 5 application. They don't make the GPS receiver and the Palm disassociates itself from the GPS after each use. TomTom cannot tell me if it's the Palm or their application but each time I contact them, it's 3 to 4 days before I get a response. Each response asks for new/more info. So, does any one want to purchase a copy of TomTom Navigator 5 for the PalmOne Treo 650/TX models?
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,683
Bummer, hate to hear bad stuff, but there's at least some in every batch.

My dad has one on his RT. Its not quite the "tool" that my Garmin is as far as route planning and that sort of thing, but for navigating and finding gas/hotels, my dad has been real pleased. TT takes a very simplistic approach and acheive it well. I get frustrated with the thing because it assumes I'm an idiot - again, 3 years of Garmin bias here. My dad, however, who isn't an idiot, but has no GPS experience, likes it. The bluetooth phone integration has treated him well too.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
MertDog OP
Adventurer

More costomer service blunders

Well, Its now nearing the end of September and still no TomTom Rider. I called last week and was told the parts were shipped from another location (where, they didn't know), but that I should have it be Friday. It's Tuesday, and my UPS truck has already made a delivery....but nothing from TomTom. Every time I call TomTom, I get a new person who gives me a new reference # for my issue. Without a reference #, they don't know anything about your issue. So far, I have been issued at least six reference numbers, that I can remember. I have been without a working product for almost 3 months. This is after only 2 weeks of use, before it lost electrical contacts with the holder. The design of the holder is "piss poor" and given that I used it for 2 weeks before the contact pins bored holes through the holders connector plates. I still haven't received a single responce regarding the design flaw and possible fixes. Today I was placed on hold with the shipping department for 30 minutes, to find out where my package was. I hung up, frustrated and even more resolut in making sure motorcyclists know the facts about TomTom Rider. Yes, it is waterproof and can be mounted and used on a motorcycle.

Regarding the comment that I should have forked over another $750, above the cost of the TomTom to get the Garmin (BMW) navigator....sorry, I'm not that rich. Buying the BMW was a stretch for my budget. I will be purchasing the Garmin Etrex Vista with the internal flash card memory. I've use the Etrex for years and it serves all my adventuring needs. I don't need a computer to tell me where to turn, but rather where I am, and how I can get to where I want to go. Etrex is great with this. And for only about $350 us. That's less than half the price of the TomTom and one forth the price of Garmin's BMW unit.

Thanks for your input. I hope nobody else has to go through the same problems I am, but I dout it. TomTom now has a seperate automated number to enter, when calling for customer service.

My final thoughts.....Garmin......Garmin......Garmin.....Ye s!!!!!
TomTom......
TomTom......
TomTom......
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And with the remote possiblity that anyone connected to TomTom is reading this....shame on your company. They have committed every possible error in costomer service/support.

Happy Trails everyone....ride on...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
MertDog OP
Adventurer

DoctorIt... I'm glad to hear your dad likes his TomTom. How many miles has he put on it? Ask him to look at the back of the unit, and see if there are any pits forming where the contact pins (in the holder) touch the back of the Navigator. If their are any, eventually the contact will fail and he'll be left without any connection to the bike's power. He can recharge the unit using the 120 v house charger, but the charge only last a couple of hours.

I was told by one of the TomTom rep's that they had a couple of cases like mine. I wonder how many miles, and what bikes they fail on.

My R1200GS ADV. has some vibration in the handlebars. I hard-mounted the unit, using TomTom's own bracket, which fits on/under the left mirror stalk. Perhaps a RAM Mount would absorb some of the vibrations (I've used the RAM mount for my other bikes with great success).
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
it stinks buying things that dont work especially expensive things. I tried one out before giving to my brother in law and found the map detail weak and gimicky overall. Suck it up, put it on ebay and buy a 276
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
cheeeep bastige ... ME

<$100 refurb Magellan Meridian Gold
<$70 SanDisk SD card with hinged USB thingy (no reader needed)
<$40 Topo USA ver 4 (new one lost detail in gaining 3-D on the PC)

waterproof
rugged

cheap for half the US in topo detail .. and address searching as well as POI

and with their streets software you could have auto-routing on the same SD card and swap back and forth, just having a smaller region to work with or pop another card in.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #15
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I've yet to hear a report on bad customer service from Lowrance. iWay, iFinder, pick your poison.

Of course none of this helps you with your TomTom problem.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote