Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
jfman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
If rekluse is such a nice upgrade - why not build an adv bike from a NC700x DCT(AUTO)

I was researching the reckluse threads for my DRZ400 then my mind wandered and I started doing research on automatic bikes and the likes.

I did not know until this evening that Honda sells a fauxadv bike with DCT. The NC700X.

DCT has all the gears (6) but you switch them with you thumb or you put the bike in full auto mode.

So how come we don't hear/see folks building adv machines from a DCT NC700X?

Fit some proper wheels on it, crash bars and bingo. You even have a nice spot in the fauxtank for an aux tank to up the range if you wish. It seems to have okish ground clearance, a comfy seat for the long haul.

Anyone owns/rode one? Or one fitted with 50/50 tires?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 703
Subscribed.

I've often wondered this question myself, once you get past the small front wheel of this bike. Maybe it's too difficult to loft the front wheel with the Honda clutch?
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,816
why not, but I think its stock suspension might need some serious tweaking, too.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
why not, but I think its stock suspension might need some serious tweaking, too.
+1

And I don't know about the frame for any serious off-roading. Keep in mind it is a scooter frame, so I'm not sure how much time/testing the engineers have done pounding it off-road to see where weak points might be and what might break.

Otherwise, DCT can surely be as effective as a Rekluse, albeit at greater size and weight. Having said that, I would suggest converting the 750X vs. the 700X since the reports all state the 750X has much better low end grunt.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
bamamate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
There is a guy in Washington, owns a couple of dealerships, that takes his NC700x DCT off road. BTW the NC750X isn't available in the US. He had a manual last year and switched to the DCT this year. Ran the CBDR this summer. He loves the DCT. Said the only "draw back" is he can't pop the clutch to lift the front over obstacles. He is also one of our sources for accessories. Makes skids plates, folding shift levers, rack replacement for the passenger seat, etc. As far as I know he is the only source for skids plates designed specifically for DCT. There are others that do gravel and FS roads with their DCTs.

Frame is solid as a rock.
Being a budget bike, the suspension is basic and benefits from upgrades.

Aftermarket support is coming along. SW-Motech, Givi, H&B make crash bars, skid plates and other accessories. TourTech is starting to release parts and AltRider is working on crash bars. Rally-Raid is working on spoke wheels for the CB500x which should also fit the NC.

The NC is no GS but it has its advantages. Low entry fee, great gas mileage, low COG, 8k oil change, 2 hrs to adjust valves, pulls like train from off idle. I have the manual and being a novice off road it is great for idling though rough stuff without working the clutch the death. It is heavy at 475lbs but I've had DR650 riders comment on how light it feels.

Seems that most of the NC people on advrider are also on nc700-forum and we mostly post over there.
bamamate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,472
Here's a good read on the NC700X offroad: https://rideapart.com/articles/ridea...w-honda-nc700x

I have to admit, I was one of the naysayers when it came out. On paper, it just seems like a faux ADV bike that is probably even less fun than a similarly priced Glee.

But the more reports and reviews that come out seem to really give it high marks. There's a ADV'er who has taken his quite a few places. I also sat on one at a local dealer. It may weigh close to 500 lbs, but you would never know that by the way it feels underneath you. It really does carry it's weight well. Maybe it looks like a boring pig on paper, but I think it really does add up to more than the sum of its parts.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 699
Inmate "captain crunch" rides a nc700 off road and he rides the hell out of it! (and he is 68 years old).

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamate View Post
BTW the NC750X isn't available in the US.
The OP is from Canada, and the 750X is available there.

-SM
Old 10-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
bamamate
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The OP is from Canada, and the 750X is available there.

-SM
Yes I know that. Was pointing it out for US riders reading the thread as that question frequently comes up. Canada also has the S model which the US doesn't get and had more color choices before the US.

Guess I should have made that point clear in my original post.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamate View Post
Yes I know that. Was pointing it out for US riders reading the thread as that question frequently comes up. Canada also has the S model which the US doesn't get and had more color choices before the US.

Guess I should have made that point clear in my original post.
The question becomes will Honda keep making both the 700 and 750? Seems odd that they would, so maybe next year (2016 MY) the US will get the 750.

Re. the OP's question, has anyone done a fork swap (and new shock) on the 700/750 to beef that up a bit? Seems with longer, beefier legs most of the complaints would be addressed (weak suspension and low belly pan).

-SM
Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
bamamate
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The question becomes will Honda keep making both the 700 and 750? Seems odd that they would, so maybe next year (2016 MY) the US will get the 750.

Re. the OP's question, has anyone done a fork swap (and new shock) on the 700/750 to beef that up a bit? Seems with longer, beefier legs most of the complaints would be addressed (weak suspension and low belly pan).

-SM
The US versions of the CTX and NM4 both use the 670. There isn't as great an advantage to the 750 as in Europe. The 670 in Europe was down on hp and torque as compared to the US version so they got a greater gain than we would. I think Canada got the same rating on the 670 as the US. My understanding is Europe was down graded to fit in a license bracket and once the CB500 came out in that bracket they bumped the NC to higher bracket. Speculation is they would have to go to the expense of certifying the 750 for the US and they don't see it as worth it. The 750 is actually around 720 something. the 700 is a 670 and the 750 is a 720........crazy marketing. Figure the engines are similar enough to build them on the same line so not a big deal to have both.

I know the guy in Washington has considered a fork replacement but I don't think he has had the time to work on it. He has also worked on a steering stabilizer. Hopefully this winter he will complete his new rack with aux gas tank to extend range to 350+ miles.
One of these days I'm going to contact Rally-Raid and see if they will take on the NC like they have the CB500X since the bikes are similar and many of the suspension upgrades would probably transfer easily.

RaceTech Gold valves helped the front a lot. I haven't done the rear shock yet. Added 1 inch fork extenders so I could raise the front fender and it not hit the SwMotech crash bars to fit a Shinko 705.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
jfman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
If its like my Versys 1k, its heavy but the motor is placed so low and its very manoeuverable.

I can find any info about DCT ON HONDA Canada... Do they even sell it dct up there?!?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
670ccc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
The 700 was de-tuned in Europe for the 47hp A2 license limit. The U.S. manual version makes 51, so the 750 made sense for them but not for us. Some reviewers on Youtube for the 750 stated they still didn't notice any difference. The DCT or manual is a sleeper for an adventure bike because of the diesel like character of the engine and/or the DCT. More and more people are using them as full-fledged adventure touring bikes as the haters moved on to bash other models now like the NM4 or Harley Street. The U.S. still has no plans for the 750 for 2015 and a Honda rep was quoted as saying the 700 is more appreciated in America because of the greater cost/value savings in our market. Makes sense as long as they don't keep increasing prices too much. The 2012 manual at $6999 was an absolute steal. Aftermarket support is still growing at a strong rate due to the overwhelming success of the model.
670ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
I like the price point, mpg and styling to a point. But 17" wheels IIRC and a 6500-7000 rpm rev limit? It's not a cruiser, what the heck is going on with that?
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I like the price point, mpg and styling to a point. But 17" wheels IIRC and a 6500-7000 rpm rev limit? It's not a cruiser, what the heck is going on with that?
It's a modern one of these...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote