Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
2coldnpagosa OP
Anything dirt!

Oddometer: 33
Wicked Tiger 800XC owners - whats your beak clearance?

Ok, that sounds sketchy but..
I recently purchased my 12 800xc (I'm 3rd owner, bike had 3,200miles) and quickly took it off road to test its dirt worthiness. After hearing some loud GRR GRRRR sounds when hitting deep ruts or other sharp hits I determined my TKC80 front tire is hitting the underside of the beak. Yep, paint is missing and the beak is cracking up the middle towards the headlight. I did a simple mod to raise the nose of the beak up 3/4" and it helped but not a lot. I've verified the forks are 4mm up in the top clamp and have ruled out the mud fender as the culprit (its now been raised the 20mm but no help).
Zodillyicous, a similar size and style of rider, has been helpful with suspension suggestions and has let me know his Beak to tire clearance is approx. 7 to 7.75" depending on where measured from on the tire. His fork springs are not OEM. My clearance is 4.5" and thats with my mod!
If your willing - Please measure your Beak clearance, with the bike on the side stand and report back. I'm trying to figure out whats wrong and what my next move is, which will probably be new springs, preload adjusting with shims or ?? I have not Cstand yet so I can't pull the forks to check springs..but one is ordered!
Thanks!
2coldnpagosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
If you raise the fender up more than the touratech risers, http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...h-Tiger-800-XC the fender will bottom out and crack when the suspension is compressed. Can't help ya on measurements at this time.

edit, i'm sure this thread has all you need http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
2coldnpagosa OP
Anything dirt!

Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
If you raise the fender up more than the touratech risers, http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...h-Tiger-800-XC the fender will bottom out and crack when the suspension is compressed. Can't help ya on measurements at this time.

edit, i'm sure this thread has all you need http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559
I live and breathe that THREAD...i've posted there too. And I wish it were true but I see no way the mud fender can crack the beak. Just look at its positioning! And besides, I can hear the knobbies going GRRR GRRR on the underside of the beak.
And I've used a buddies fingers atop the tire to prove that the beak can touch when I push real hard on the forks....nice friend!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I don't know what it hits myself. But if you want to find out pull the caps off the forks, pull the springs out and lift the wheel. That's all I got.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Your forks are toast. Rebuild them for your weight & riding. Money well spent.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
2coldnpagosa OP
Anything dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Your forks are toast. Rebuild them for your weight & riding. Money well spent.
At 4,000 miles? Hardly! I ride the snot outta my dirt bikes and know when they're toast or at least in need of fluid and seals. But I was just looking for someone to measure this gap to confirm or deny my suspicions....guess nobody owns a Tiger 800xc? sheesh! Oh well, I'll wait for my center stand to arrive and pull the forks.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
panhead_pete
Banned

Oddometer: 1,021
How heavy are you? How much stuff do you carry on the bike? Have you upgraded the suspension?

What distance do you want measured?

Pics of YOUR bike will be helpful.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 124
5.25" tire to tip of beak. Tire is a new Mefo. Stock springs 12000 miles on bike.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
cyclecycnic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
TiGER 800xc mudguard clearance.

I have recently developed a production mudguard raising kit which addresses many of the issues raised plus others that are potentially more serious.It has been extensivly tested and proved very effective.
Clearance at the leading edge is adjustable to reduce the wedge effect and minimize clogging. By pivoting around the rear mounting it can be returned to the original position.
The mountings are far stronger and there is very little chance of the guard being broken off when clogged with gumbo. ( I also used PLJ adhesive)
The kit can be used to repair a damaged guard as the parts trimmed for installation are the same as those damaged when the guard is torn off. Prototype shown is a repaired guard torn off by gumbo in Utah.
More importantly,when the guard is lost, the brake connecting loop is now exposed , drawn into the tire and destroyed.I consider this to be the most pressing reason for the modification.

I intend to produce the first batch once I have some idea of the response .
Material used is 063" CNC plasma cut Aluminum alloy. Stainless rivets supplied.

Attached Images

cyclecycnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
cyclecycnic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Production Version
Attached Images

cyclecycnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
zodillyicous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Maybe one of the three previous owners 'adjusted' the front suspension without passing on the knowledge.
zodillyicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
2coldnpagosa OP
Anything dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
How heavy are you? How much stuff do you carry on the bike? Have you upgraded the suspension?

What distance do you want measured?

Pics of YOUR bike will be helpful.
I'm 6'4" 230lbs. I've roached the beak on rides that had zero additional gear on the bike, just me and some fuel in the tank. No, the suspension hasn't been upgraded yet though after talking to others do plan on the Hyperpro progressive kit once my center stand arrives. Now that someone else rang in with a measurement over 5" I know someone must've changed out the springs and set the sag WAY too much.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
2coldnpagosa OP
Anything dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodillyicous View Post
Maybe one of the three previous owners 'adjusted' the front suspension without passing on the knowledge.
Previous two - It had to have been the original owner as the guy I bought it from couldn't spell Triumph much less upgrade (downgrade) anything.

Thanks BAD-TAT for the measurement. Time to dig into the forks to see whats up!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
Itchin
Kinda sketchy

Oddometer: 9
Question

I haven't found the answer to this question anywhere yet, so I'll throw it out here: Anyone tried dropping the forks all the way down the triple clamps? My dirt bikes always had ALL of the non-tapered tubes down the clamps.

Been wanting to try this myself, but haven't yet for fear of Headshake at 90mph.

Surely someone out there has had the overwhelming urge to try???
Itchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2coldnpagosa View Post
I'm 6'4" 230lbs. I've roached the beak on rides that had zero additional gear on the bike, just me and some fuel in the tank. No, the suspension hasn't been upgraded yet though after talking to others do plan on the Hyperpro progressive kit once my center stand arrives. Now that someone else rang in with a measurement over 5" I know someone must've changed out the springs and set the sag WAY too much.
The forks are sprung from the factory for a ~170 lb rider.

I'm 6'1" and about 240 and here's a thread on what I did.

The only way to KNOW if the springs are right for the load is to measure Laden Sag.

Front and Rear should both compress about 25-30% of their travel under rider weight. (measure after pressing down and letting the springs rise, then again by lifting up and letting the weight compress them. Average the two measurements to eliminate stiction effects from the seals.)

When I measured with the OEM springs I was compressing close to 50% of travel. Too light a spring makes it easy to bottom. This makes it more likely you will contact the beak. (which should be designed to never be able to contact, but apparently this isn't the case)

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote