Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
PROJECT IS LONG DEAD. NEVER MADE ANY PROGRESS, NO NEED TO READ FURTHER. SORRY. :(

Okay, I've been without a bike long enough. Not having enough money lately to go out and buy a real live working model, and having fallen head over heals with the Terra Mostro a year or so ago, I've decided to go the budget route.

Today, I went out and bought a 2003 Monster 620 frame and engine for a very little amount of money. This is where it begins.

I'll warn you right now that this is going to be one very long, slow thread to get to a finished bike. If I can't afford to buy a completed bike, I figure I might as well start cheap, and build what I want, sllllooooowwwwlllyyy. I'm serious guys, this thread could rival RAW's 'Fortress of Solitude' thread.

But at least I can say that I own a motorcycle again.

The guy I bought it from had two, and when I asked him how happy he was with the power, he urged me to take a ride on his finished bike, a street model, but still...Anyway, I declined. I wasn't about to go screamin' down his suburban street in a pair of Rainbow sandals and board shorts.

I need to get a parts list together and start picking them off, one by one. Did I mention this is going to take place slowly? Well, unless the real estate market comes back enough to offload the condo I don't live in anymore...

Ideas are welcome here.

Pictures are up.

8/27/09

8/31/09, Just got the tank! WAAHOO! I like it, it looks good, even has a nut pad.

Just picked up the rear hub I need. It came with the rest of the wheel, and a fairly new street tire. I wonder if anyone would want the rest as I'm only going to use the hub and sprocket carrier. I also have the sprocket carrier, but it's not pictured.
9/5/09

BeeDub screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 06:47 PM Reason: Project is dead, never made any progress, no need to read further, sorry.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
I'm interested. Looking forward to see your modifications.
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Pictures are now posted in #1. I also have a box of odds and ends that will help when wiring everything up.

I'm not sure when I can afford to do this, but I'd like to first get this thing into rolling chassis/engine mode so I have something to work with.

My main concerns are buying a triple clamp, forks, and a front wheel that will match up, and that I can make fit the Ducati downtube. Any tips on where to go to do this are appreciated. I'm thinking a KTM 950 front end might be a good start if I can find one second hand.

I also need to lengthen the swingarm a bit, and I think I know of a shop that will do that, and I'm hoping we can come up with a way to strengthen it too.

BeeDub screwed with this post 08-15-2009 at 12:35 PM
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
SafetyFish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Speak to the guys at gothamcycles.com for ideas on what parts will fit and what ideas will work. Closer to you, there are the guys at motowheels.com who can also help with tons of advice on Ducati related parts. You may even be lucky enough to transplant Strada parts onto the Monster frame, but the experts will be able to help you out with that.

Not affiliated with either of these two companies, they have helped me out in the past with questions I had with no pressure to purchase something from them first before giving answers.

SF
SafetyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,607
Old 08-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

Oddometer: 1,003
Dood!

That thing is gonna SHRED tires!

Oh. Wait. That IS a shredder.

Good luck with the project. Hope it gets off the linoleum.

rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Thanks guys!

And thank you especially for the tip Safety Fish.

I really need dimensions that I'm not finding very easily right now. What I need is the dimensions of the Ducati downtube, diameter and length. I don't have calipers, and I don't want to screw that up anyway. I'd also really like dimensions on the downtube of potential source bikes for the front end. It looks like most modern motocross bikes have a 48mm front fork setup, though Yamaha and Suzuki don't list it in the specs. This also goes for the KTM bikes, and the reason I mentioned a 950 is I'd suspect it's sprung and valved for a much heavier front end.

I think I know what I'm going to go with on the rear shock, just need to be able to afford it first. Looks like whoever bought the rear shock off this thing took the tie rod too, so I'll have to get one of those. I don't see the motor mount bolts on the frame or engine either. I'll also need the ECU, injectors (I think), airbox, and gas tank. For the tank, I'm hoping to find a newer, plastic model on ebay or something of the like. Looks like they went to plastic in '05, limiting fuel capacity, but I really don't want a steel tank. All info I'm reading says anything up to the newest models will pretty much bolt right on.

Anyway, like I said, this will be a slow build, and for the time being, I'm just trying to come up with a list of source parts that will work. I will check with the guys you mentioned Safety.

One thing I did figure out is that I can achieve at least a 58.7" wheelbase by lengthening the swingarm by 2". I say at least because the standard wheelbase is 56.7", 2" on the swingarm, and the increased rake on the forks due to them being longer will make it more than 58.7".
Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,607
you going to pivot the swingarm in the cases, or beef it up somehow?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
you going to pivot the swingarm in the cases, or beef it up somehow?
I am a bit concerned about that, but I'm pretty sure Overland's version is in the standard pivot and I haven't heard about problems. Do you think there will be problems? And do you have suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,407
Here are a couple places to start asking questions.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?action=forum

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-monster-620/
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Thanks OConnor! I just joined ducatimonster.org a little while ago, and I'm just lurking there for right now. I don't want to make the big mistake of posting a bunch of questions that have already been asked, and asked, and asked. My biggest issue there is that I can't find a model specific forum in there. I'm trying to learn what I can about ECUs and whatnot. I'd like to put a programmable ECU on the bike (when I get to that stage), because I'm likely going to have to do a custom pipe, but I'm not finding anything that'll work with a 620.

Man, parts are hard to find. I can't find a place that sells tanks, nor are there many on ebay or craigslist. It's like some of the dealers carry a little of this, and others a little of that, and not much for a 620.

BeeDub screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 10:18 PM
Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,988
check this thread out, ilmostro enduro

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428685
Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
check this thread out, ilmostro enduro

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428685
Thanks Greg! Coincidentally, I found that thread and read it yesterday. It inspired a bit of confidence. I was happy to see that he was successful in lengthening the stock swingarm, but I'm not sure if I want to go as long as he did. I think he went over 3", and put a riser on the shock mount to boot. I'm only 5'10", so I doubt I could even reach the ground with what he did.

I wish I knew how much extra the guys at Terra Mostro put on, because from what I understand, they didn't change the shock mount at all, but did put a bit taller shock on there (don't quote me on that). I'm also wondering how much adjustment I could get on the rear if I put an adjustable tie rod on the rear assembly. I have been wondering how much info they'd be willing to share with me since I'm not buying anything from them. I'm certainly not looking to infringe on their sales, just trying to build my own under the budget I have to work with. I have thought that I might buy individual parts from them if they were offering, but the site doesn't indicate as much.

One other thing. It appears that like Terra Mostro, he has gone with the XR650 front forks. I'm wondering why both of them have done this. Is it that those forks fit the stock Ducati triples? Or is there something I'm missing in thinking a 48mm inverted setup might be a better option? I don't even have the stock set-up, so if I can determine that I am right, I might as well go with a completely new triple.

BeeDub screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 07:16 AM
Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
BeeDub OP
Havagoowan

Well, good news! I just found a heap of small ticket items I'll be needing. Based on prices I've been seeing from other ebay sellers, I just saved a couple hundred. In case you're curious, just scored:

FUSE BOX HOLDER
MONO SHOCK BRACKET LINKAGE
REAR WIRING HARNESS
MAIN WIRING HARNESS
AIR BOX
COILS & PLUG WIRES
SUB FENDER

All look to be in good shape, and from a newer bike.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,407
Go man go! remember to update the pics even if you just spin the frame around on the floor. The kids love pictures. If you can get some gal to pose with it they'll love you even more!
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote