Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #136
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
...you know, you can remove the top front half of the Sputnik body....
Eh, whazzat? Show me, pojalusta!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #137
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Eh, whazzat? Show me, pojalusta!
I don't have a real good photo handy. Basically the nose hinges up on two hinges, which could easily be modified or replaced to easily detach-boat hardware one possible alternative here. I have modified the nose so two clamps, cut from a NATO ammo can, dog the nose down at the rear of the nose.

It may still be too awkward to be practicle, even with the nose completely removed-you'd have to take a look at it and see what you think.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #138
solomrus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
that looks the business!

i've been considering a high mount fender on my 97, and hadn't seen anything that had been done. this looks great.

for the wheels, what sizes did you go with, and which spokes did you use to lace them with?

how is the handling on-road with the knobs? i'd fear the torque on the street, as mine can get squirrely with the tourances when they're cold.

more pics and details please!

one of these days i'll get some pics of my bike up.

--r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Reviving this thread...with my new wheel/tire setup (and custom blinker from CC'05):

solomrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #139
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomrus
that looks the business!

i've been considering a high mount fender on my 97, and hadn't seen anything that had been done. this looks great.

for the wheels, what sizes did you go with, and which spokes did you use to lace them with?

how is the handling on-road with the knobs? i'd fear the torque on the street, as mine can get squirrely with the tourances when they're cold.

more pics and details please!

one of these days i'll get some pics of my bike up.

--r
I went with 1.85x21 front and 2.5x18 rear. Not sure of the spokes, I supplied a builder with some used hubs and they put them together for me.

I've always run TKCs, so I can't compare the grip between knobs and non-knobs. The 21" front doesn't feel any different to me than the 19" stocker did, though. I will say that the MT21s are a giant leap forward off road...and a giant leap back on road. Gotta be careful on them.

I've put up a couple ride reports over on triumph-tiger.com - stop by and sign up!

Pat
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:07 AM   #140
solomrus
Adventurer

i get over there once in a while. seem like things develop slowly on that page.

sounds like a good off-road setup. i can see where it would be a huge improvement.

have you had any ideas on losing some of the tiger's weight? that is the major thing that keeps me on the more groomed roads. i don't want to have to pick that pig up.

i'm coming up with a design for a more rally-inspired bash plate. something with a bunch more coverage, that uses your type of set up(same on my bike). something aluminum, lots of welding. should be a fun winter project.

have you changed the bars on your bike at all? i'd like to fit a set of fat-bars to mine, but haven't come up with a real good solution. i'll probably end up with a set of the adaptor/risers that allow you to use the cast-in lower mounts for the 7/8ths bars. not the best option, but about the only one on a tiger.

are those the acerbis rally hand guards?

--r
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #141
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Quote:
i get over there once in a while. seem like things develop slowly on that page.

sounds like a good off-road setup. i can see where it would be a huge improvement.

have you had any ideas on losing some of the tiger's weight? that is the major thing that keeps me on the more groomed roads. i don't want to have to pick that pig up.

i'm coming up with a design for a more rally-inspired bash plate. something with a bunch more coverage, that uses your type of set up(same on my bike). something aluminum, lots of welding. should be a fun winter project.

have you changed the bars on your bike at all? i'd like to fit a set of fat-bars to mine, but haven't come up with a real good solution. i'll probably end up with a set of the adaptor/risers that allow you to use the cast-in lower mounts for the 7/8ths bars. not the best option, but about the only one on a tiger.

are those the acerbis rally hand guards?

--r
My bar setup is Renthals, Touratech crossbar, heated grips, ABR adjustable bar risers, and the Acerbis rallys. The handguards got all mangled on Sunday, so I'll be putting some different ones on (bad day).

No clue where you'd start shaving some weight off the Tiger. Exhaust? I have Yoshimura cans which I've heard are a lot lighter but I didn't weigh any of it. Without having a cat to remove I can't imagine there's all that much saving there.

If you come up with a bash plate setup that can be reproduced I may be interested - keep us updated!

Pat
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #142
solomrus
Adventurer

there was a set of staintunes on my 97 when i bought it. yeah, they are a lot lighter. 8^)

i'm not so obsessive as to chase grams and swap out fasteners and such. i lowered the bike by flipping the chain adjusters and dropping the forks. that makes the bike a whole lot more manageable, but you sacrifice a lot of clearance to get it. oh, well.

i figure i will look into getting some sort of bar on there. i'm not too unhappy with the stock one, it is a bit of a reach for me as it sits, so anything that i do will have to either use risers or tall bars.

i will let you guys know what i come up with on the bash plate. i'm thinking a minimum of 4mm sheet, tig welded, and supported as far back as feasable. access ports to get to the drain plug and the oil filter. some holes for airflow... we'll see. it's cold and snowy here now. it hit us abruptly this year. was good riding all of last week.

--r
Old 11-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #143
solomrus
Adventurer

actually found a shot i took of my bike a while ago. for some reason, the tiger never gets any lense time.

--r
Old 11-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #144
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
My bar setup is Renthals, Touratech crossbar, heated grips, ABR adjustable bar risers, and the Acerbis rallys.
Which Renthals are you running? I ran a set on my last Tiger but they were too low. I'd like to find something similar to stock but with a little different sweep. I too am running Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. They greatly reduce buffeting!

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #145
zak0r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
actually found a shot i took of my bike a while ago. for some reason, the tiger never gets any lense time.

--r
the colours are right, all you need now is an LC8 engine and some ktm stickers :)
zak0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #146
solomrus
Adventurer

that thought has crossed my mind.

make for an interesting hybrid.

--r
Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #147
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
...ABR adjustable bar risers...
Which set of these did you get?

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #148
speedysheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Here's a picture of my Tiger, a couple weeks ago down in Brown County, Indiana. His name is Hobbes. :-)

Old 11-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #149
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvfalcon
Which set of these did you get?
I got the articulating ones...

Old 12-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #150
shell015
n00b