ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 AM   #4216
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Yes, it's a tire question for the masses .....


At present, I'm leaning more towards the K60 Scouts ......
Well, I've just ordered the K60 Scouts for my new T800XC.
I used the plain K60 on my Scrambler and couldn't fault them as a 50/50 tyre. I went to Norway on them last year and did all sorts up there and they coped with scratching on tar to slimy dirt roads. They gave good feeling on the dirt. With 1000 miles of motorway there and back they gave 4000 miles on a rear (130/80) before being too squared off. After the 130/80 I fitted a 140/80 which has much more tread to start with. I sold the bike with that tyre on it so I can't give any feed back on mileage for that one. Consensus is that the 140/80 is the one to go for if you're going to do a lot of dirt but for starters I'm sticking with the 150/70 on the XC. Also, I'm hoping that the solid central band in the tread pattern in the Scout will help prevent it squaring off too quickly.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.

blacktiger screwed with this post 06-25-2011 at 03:02 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #4217
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumarvy View Post
Hi guys
Here are some pictures from weekly trip to Romania on the our Tiger "Adventure".
Romania is a beautiful country.


Well done.
I'm heading over there later in the year. Is this one of their better roads?
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #4218
13
__________
 
13's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimon View Post
From my trip to Vermnont



Is that Mt Equinox?
__________________
"When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free." Charles Evans Hughes


Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #4219
keystiger
rat on a roll
 
keystiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Daphne, Al.
Oddometer: 372
Hey G, what about the Shinko 705's? Just put a set on my Girlie after years of "sworn" Anakee ownership. However the economic budget didn't allow for the cost this go round. Got both front and rear for the cost of a rear Anakee.

They seem to have ample tread for what you are looking for, and are very composed on the highway as well. I have been on some gravel and fire roads and they are very good on those. Plus a lot cheaper to "try" if you end up not liking them you aren't out too much $.
__________________
I saw a subliminal advertising executive, but only for a second.
-- Steven Wright
keystiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #4220
gurumarvy
Adventurer
 
gurumarvy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Europe - Czech
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Well done.
I'm heading over there later in the year. Is this one of their better roads?
Some roads have good.
Red road on the map are good, but there are many trucks
Yellow roads on the map are good
White roads on the map are surprise. This is how, when / sometimes asphalt, gravel, sometimes mud.
But it's really a great country and good off-road riding

gurumarvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #4221
gurumarvy
Adventurer
 
gurumarvy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Europe - Czech
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Yes, it's a tire question for the masses .....
Hi
I like to ride in the front only TKC80 and rear TKC or Mitas E07, E09 Dakar
At the back I've had good experiences from the Transalp with Mitas (price, raid, performance)
This summer is expected to begin selling Mitas E07 in our size 150/17 (it is the perfect universal traveler tire)
I was now in Romania on my Tiger with E09 Dakar 140/80-17 on the rear and it was good. Only on the highway hums quite a bit. But the fall should start selling E09 Mitas 150/17.
gurumarvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #4222
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumarvy View Post
Hi
I like to ride in the front only TKC80 and rear TKC or Mitas E07, E09 Dakar
At the back I've had good experiences from the Transalp with Mitas (price, raid, performance)
This summer is expected to begin selling Mitas E07 in our size 150/17 (it is the perfect universal traveler tire)
I was now in Romania on my Tiger with E09 Dakar 140/80-17 on the rear and it was good. Only on the highway hums quite a bit. But the fall should start selling E09 Mitas 150/17.
The Heidenau K60 gets better reviews than the Mitas07 and they already do a 150/70x17 in the "Scout" version. I've just ordered a set for my T800XC.
http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreif..._60/index.html
versus
http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreif..._07/index.html
Interesting tread pattern on the rear of the scout with a solid central band which should help prevent squaring off. http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...fil=162&pic=99
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #4223
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
Hey G, what about the Shinko 705's? Just put a set on my Girlie after years of "sworn" Anakee ownership. However the economic budget didn't allow for the cost this go round. Got both front and rear for the cost of a rear Anakee.

They seem to have ample tread for what you are looking for, and are very composed on the highway as well. I have been on some gravel and fire roads and they are very good on those. Plus a lot cheaper to "try" if you end up not liking them you aren't out too much $.
Thanks for the info ....... I didn't think Shinko made tires to handle big trailies (I.E. - Pigs ) I'll have to check them out online. I do know this, and it relates to cost, that the Heide's and TKCs cost about the same, but the Scouts are "supposed" to get twice the mileage as the TKCs.

I also understand that how aggressive the rider is does equate out to how long the tires last. Interestingly enough I get 4000 plus miles out of a rear TKC on my Africa Twin, but I don't push that bike too hard so I don't bust her up. Parts and plastics for it can be a bitch to acquire ......

Whereas, on my 640adv, like I mentioned, I run 606s, and I don't care how quickly I chew them up due to the fact that I can buy a set for 152.00 USD

Again, thanks for the info, I'll have to check the Shinkos out ....

BTW - I still haven't figured out how to make a poll out of my previous post. As I recall it use to be very easy, now I don't see a poll option any more. Anyone have any input on that?

G.

EDIT: I see now ..... it has to be done when the post is initially created. My bad ....... I guess I won't be turning my tire question into a poll after all .......
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #4224
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The Heidenau K60 gets better reviews than the Mitas07 and they already do a 150/70x17 in the "Scout" version. I've just ordered a set for my T800XC.
http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreif..._60/index.html
versus
http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreif..._07/index.html
Interesting tread pattern on the rear of the scout with a solid central band which should help prevent squaring off. http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...fil=162&pic=99
Keep us posted on how well the Scouts work out for you and your 800xc ....

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #4225
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Keep us posted on how well the Scouts work out for you and your 800xc ....

G.
Of course.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #4226
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
I really need to install my knobbies.

__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #4227
dimon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Greater Boston, MA
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
Is that Mt Equinox?
yes, it is.
dimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #4228
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumarvy View Post
Hi guys
Here are some pictures from weekly trip to Romania on the our Tiger "Adventure".
Romania is a beautiful country.


First, great pics ........

And, I have a question for you, which I'll also PM you as well.

I see you're running H.B. crash bars on your Tiger. I'm thinking about getting the same ones, as they are 115.00 USD cheaper than the Touratech crash bars.

My question is this ...... Is that a touratech bash plate you have and modded to fit with the H.B. crash bars, or is it a DIY (as in - do it yourself) bash plate?

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #4229
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I really need to install my knobbies.

I really just noticed it ..... but what's the story with the Huey in the background?

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #4230
Idahosam
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Mostly sitting on my ass recovering
Oddometer: 4,120
Well I've not thrown anything in this thread for awhile, so heres a few.

My 06 (bought new), she is still running strong...





So, I was wondering, we have Steamers and Girlies, I can't remember what the 1050's nickname is but what is the new buzz for the 800??
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014