RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #5148
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Got my Happy Trails panniers installed on my girlie.

Are those pics recent? Like this week? Reason I ask, is we got 6" of snow yesterday and won't be riding anything other than pavement for at least 3 weeks. I thought Idaho was a winter place.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #5149
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Are those pics recent? Like this week? Reason I ask, is we got 6" of snow yesterday and won't be riding anything other than pavement for at least 3 weeks. I thought Idaho was a winter place.
Yep. Just took them yesterday. We have winter, but it's mainly just cold in the valley. we get snow between december and january. other than that its just cold.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #5150
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post
Hi, friend of mine would be interested in your thoughts on the MRA screen. I'm curious........why no spoiler? I put one on my 800.....
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #5151
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Hi, friend of mine would be interested in your thoughts on the MRA screen. I'm curious........why no spoiler? I put one on my 800.....

The screen is great. I had the same on my Multistrada and it seemed to work for me on that also. I have never gone for the spoiler version as for me it just adds too many variables, combinations and tweeking so would annoy, rather than benefit me. I'm a simple man

I don't seem to suffer any buffeting (5'10" and 32 inside leg) with the seat on the low setting which I prefer. I'm not the kind of person who is on the trail of the perfect screen with no buffeting as to me it is part of riding a motorcycle.

The dark screen I have is too dark to see through so would be no use for off road. Im 99% on road so I am looking over the screen further ahead. Here's a picture from behind the screen (crouched down obviously!) if it helps.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #5152
killbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post

Is that rim tape on your wheels, or did you polish them in some way? It's a subtle difference but it looks really nice.
killbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #5153
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
Is that rim tape on your wheels, or did you polish them in some way? It's a subtle difference but it looks really nice.

Its Rim tape I thought I would give it a go to see how it looked but I'm quite happy with the result.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #5154
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Pannier questions...

Ming,

Those bags look great! How many more pictures can you take of them and post? Did you get equal size bags(both 7" or 9")? What is there total width on the bike and what capacity do they have? How much did the set run with the powder coat? They look great, I'm on the fence over which bags to get. I have sw motech racks, set up for trax boxes. Thing is I can't find info and pictures on those bags on a girlie. I like the ht setup, I wonder if the cliff cut could transfer over to the 2nd gen klr too? I also have been looking at the muffin top aluminum bags. I'm weird, I'd like the set to end up being symmetrical from centerline with the offset rack on the muffler side. I've got cabin fever, my tiger is in the basement, I have the rear wheel cleaned and I'm working on the front. All bodywork on a shelf.

The day I brought it home:

Now as it sits in basement(well, just before I started on the front tyre):

Cleaned rear wheel with new full bore m-40 tyre:

The rear shock, re-greased needle bearing and cleaned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Got my Happy Trails panniers installed on my girlie. went with the cliff cut for the exhaust side. Great looking panniers IMO, but the relocation brackets for the turn signals will cause the right signal to press against the muffler, and without them the left turn signal is pressed up against the pannier. I'm going to look for some short stalk turn signals from sysle gear today to fix the issue. I really like the new locking lids, Happy Trails products are exceptional as is their customer service.

Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #5155
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
My new steed :)

Now. Winter just needs to finally give in around here. It's just killing me
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #5156
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Ming,

Those bags look great! How many more pictures can you take of them and post? Did you get equal size bags(both 7" or 9")? What is there total width on the bike and what capacity do they have? How much did the set run with the powder coat? They look great, I'm on the fence over which bags to get. I have sw motech racks, set up for trax boxes. Thing is I can't find info and pictures on those bags on a girlie. I like the ht setup, I wonder if the cliff cut could transfer over to the 2nd gen klr too? I also have been looking at the muffin top aluminum bags. I'm weird, I'd like the set to end up being symmetrical from centerline with the offset rack on the muffler side. I've got cabin fever, my tiger is in the basement, I have the rear wheel cleaned and I'm working on the front. All bodywork on a shelf.

The rear angle is the one I have seen most people ask for. I got the 9'in boxes. the cliff cut is only for the muffler side. it looks the best IMO. Even with the cliff cut, the muffler side box sits a few inches further out, but looks good IMO. It's about as symetrical as you can get on a girlie. They are a few inches wider than the handle bars now, but it doesn't worry me. The boxes are not pre-drilled. But all HT racks have the same mounting points so the panniers are swappable between racks and bikes.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #5157
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Hey Ming, So, you went with the HT. Same setup i have on my Girlie.

I have the 7.5" looks like you went with the 9" must be planning some really long road trips. I've had mine on since May of 08 there durable for sure.

There was no way getting around the offset but hell I never look at my back from the cockpit. Congratulations.

Looks good man!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #5158
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hey Ming, So, you went with the HT. Same setup i have on my Girlie.

I have the 7.5" looks like you went with the 9" must be planning some really long road trips. I've had mine on since May of 08 there durable for sure.

There was no way getting around the offset but hell I never look at my back from the cockpit. Congratulations.

Looks good man!
Thanks Sam! I went with the 9's mainly for road trip and camping trips. I wanted to make sure I didn't run out of room in the smaller boxes. This bike is WAY heavier than the KLR, so I'm not trying to take her down any crazy single tracks, but logging and fire roads and the bigger panniers shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #5159
LiveandLetDrive
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Picked up this 2000 for a song at $1500 one week ago. Fixed a kinked idle air control hose last night and no more rich surging at cruise and stalling on return to idle! 72k on the odo with thousands of dirt miles, trips to the Arctic Ocean, Death Valley, and the Continental Divide trail just in the past 3 years and feels ready for more! (Good maintenance done but as far as I know the heads have never even been off!)

Happy with her renewed lungs she took me on our first non-commute ride and had an epic time out over Mt Hamilton from San Jose and up Mines Rd to Pleasanton. Now she just needs a new set of shoes, and front brakes, and.....

The Junction:
LiveandLetDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #5160
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer