User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #5461
Rikki Rockett
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 228
Thumb Nice Pics!

Man, there are some nice pictures on this thread. I need to step up my game!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #5462
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I an now addicted to this thread. Look every day. I had a KLR that I did some of every type terrain on and loved it. My only real complaint was the lack of power. Even heavily modded KLRs are weak. If I can find one in my price range, my next big bike will be a Steamer. I'm getting by with a DRZ now, but long rides kind of suck.

The real reason I am on here is to ask if any of you guys who ride real off road terrain have tried any of the new 19" trials tires on the front? I rode a motor and suspension modded (for off road), KLR that the owner had actually gone down to a 19" front wheel just to try a trials tire, and found it was great. He went back and forth from a trials tire to a small 125cc 100x100x19 I assume, MX type knobby, and decided the trials tire was more versatile. He said he eventually would re-lace another 19 wheel to keep a knobby on, and mostly use the trials tire. He said using a rear knobby on front it lasted 5 times longer than on the rear. KLRs are lighter than Tigers, but I have had mine loaded with 65 lbs of gear and the trials tires did ok with high air pressure. I put about 1500 miles on a Mitas on a KLR and other than normal wear it was fine.

Anyway, I rode this other guys KLR with the 19" trials tire on front, TKC 80 on back, with 15lbs air pressure, (again, rocky off road terrain, singletrack etc). and it was great. On dirt roads, also great. Didn't try it on pavement but I've used rear trials tires before on KLRs and DRZs and they are very versatile. The best for longevity and overall function is a Mitas I think, although many others are not bad. The Mitas has a stronger sidewall than most and wears well. You need to stick with the stronger ones that have stiffer sidewalls on heavy bikes. The Dunlops and Michelins won't hold up, but Mitas and supposedly others do well. There is a 19" Shinko for about 50.00 which seems to be favored by the off road race guys, they say it has a stiff sidewall but I haven't tried it yet.

Many guys on various bikes go to a 21" front wheel to increase ability to roll over trail junk, and to increse ground clearance. Trials tires are about 30% taller than most knobbies, so a 19" would probably be roughly equal to a 20" front tire/wheel setup with a knobby.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with these on Tigers. Keep up the pics and stories! I'm selling toys now to try and get either another KLR, Husky 610, or Tiger, depending on what deals I can find. A Tiger is my first choice now, but they seem to be very hard to find in my area for reasonable prices. KLRs are everywhere, cheap, so we'll see.

Jeff.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #5463
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
What would use a 19" trials tire? Trials bikes are 21/18. I was not aware they made other sizes.

I used rear trails tires on my enduro bikes, but always run a traditional knobb on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I an now addicted to this thread. Look every day. I had a KLR that I did some of every type terrain on and loved it. My only real complaint was the lack of power. Even heavily modded KLRs are weak. If I can find one in my price range, my next big bike will be a Steamer. I'm getting by with a DRZ now, but long rides kind of suck.

The real reason I am on here is to ask if any of you guys who ride real off road terrain have tried any of the new 19" trials tires on the front? I rode a motor and suspension modded (for off road), KLR that the owner had actually gone down to a 19" front wheel just to try a trials tire, and found it was great. He went back and forth from a trials tire to a small 125cc 100x100x19 I assume, MX type knobby, and decided the trials tire was more versatile. He said he eventually would re-lace another 19 wheel to keep a knobby on, and mostly use the trials tire. He said using a rear knobby on front it lasted 5 times longer than on the rear. KLRs are lighter than Tigers, but I have had mine loaded with 65 lbs of gear and the trials tires did ok with high air pressure. I put about 1500 miles on a Mitas on a KLR and other than normal wear it was fine.

Anyway, I rode this other guys KLR with the 19" trials tire on front, TKC 80 on back, with 15lbs air pressure, (again, rocky off road terrain, singletrack etc). and it was great. On dirt roads, also great. Didn't try it on pavement but I've used rear trials tires before on KLRs and DRZs and they are very versatile. The best for longevity and overall function is a Mitas I think, although many others are not bad. The Mitas has a stronger sidewall than most and wears well. You need to stick with the stronger ones that have stiffer sidewalls on heavy bikes. The Dunlops and Michelins won't hold up, but Mitas and supposedly others do well. There is a 19" Shinko for about 50.00 which seems to be favored by the off road race guys, they say it has a stiff sidewall but I haven't tried it yet.

Many guys on various bikes go to a 21" front wheel to increase ability to roll over trail junk, and to increse ground clearance. Trials tires are about 30% taller than most knobbies, so a 19" would probably be roughly equal to a 20" front tire/wheel setup with a knobby.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with these on Tigers. Keep up the pics and stories! I'm selling toys now to try and get either another KLR, Husky 610, or Tiger, depending on what deals I can find. A Tiger is my first choice now, but they seem to be very hard to find in my area for reasonable prices. KLRs are everywhere, cheap, so we'll see.

Jeff.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #5464
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy713 View Post
What size panniers are those?

They are Holans Nomada's 31L on a symetrical HT rack
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #5465
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,487
Not a trials tire, but I love the Heidenau K60 Scout on front. Metzler Tourance on the rear.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #5466
mountainkiller075
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question those threaded holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvegas View Post
Your getting warmer fbj
I used two flat T brackets i found at the hardware store where i bought the Abs pipe for the tube, then rounded them and to the shape of said pipe on the "T" end, then bent the othe end back the other way and used those threaded holes in the frame. I mounted the brackets to the tube by drilling four holes for each bracket and i braced them on the inside for strength. after these pictures were taken i got home and my brackets were bending a little after my test ride with weight in the tube so i ended up wraping the tube with metal straps again from the hardware store and the tube is solid now. I'm happy with the end result and i think i will be able to make it work with the wolfman racks, i might just have
to redo my straps to give more of a gap near the frame. again,
What size are those threaded holes in the frame?
mountainkiller075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #5467
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Tiger under the rainbow

Here's a shot taken at the tail end of a thunderstorm in Fairmont, BC

Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #5468
dochunter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
calander shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post
Great pic
dochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #5469
Red06SS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Wink Here's Trixie

And first farkle..

Red06SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #5470
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
So-Cal Desert Washes After The Rains

I definitely found the limits of my semi worn K60's today! Mud, mud, then some sand, then more mud...

Untitled
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #5471
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Took my little tigger for a ride up in Michaux State Forest PA on Monday. Had a great time on the dirt/gravel roads. No crash bars or bash plate yet so I stayed off some of the trails. She handled pretty good for street tires.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #5472
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5473
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,305
Saw this cat in Palomar San Diego County...

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #5474
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67

Two tigers.
Out with the old, in with the new. Guess which one is the new one.

Oh, and my previous Tiger looked exactly like the bike in the next post up. An orange 1050. I miss that motor for sure.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #5475
cjmadura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Cool2 Among the Canadian Glaciers.....

A great 3000 mile trip in BC and Alberta from the U.S.

Snapped this near the Athabasca Glacier along the Icefields PKWY (great name!)

cjmadura is offline   Reply With Quote