Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #121
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,942
sweet bike RR - a great find - ride her like you stole her!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #122
cbxtc6
On my Way...

Oddometer: 862

This ride was much more enjoyable than the first photo!
cbxtc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #123
Pawk

Oddometer: 598
I sold the bike almost two years ago... but what the heck I gots some nice Tiger pics....

Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #124
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,962
Were you in Southern CO last weekend, with full bags and a set of golf clubs on your bike? I was on a ride and we were at a gas station when a black tiger like yours came rolling in, there was no premium gas and they guy came in and left. Most notable was the set of golf clubs strapped across the passenger seat. Was it you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955
Well at last I have aquired a Tiger. I just bought it last weekend. 2001 model 5700 miles, with Triumph panniers and trunk for $5k. The Daytona has an older brother!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #125
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,681
Pawk, your thoughts please...

Thanks all for sharing the great Tiger pix...keep it up!

I'm looking for a Tiger to replace my Bonneville, which is a fabulous bike, my favorite ever, but just a bit too small. I'll keep the KLR with knobbies for the ugly stuff, but the Tiger will work well for my main street ride and fire road explorer. I really appreciate drooling over these great bikes!

Pawk, I'm interested to hear your thoughts as an ex-Tiger owner. It's easy for current owners to gush over their mounts, but I'd like to hear your impression of this bike, the pros and cons both. Do you have seller's remorse? Would you get another if cost were not a factor?

Thanks in advance...and let's see more Tigers!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #126
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,178
bout that Bonneville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Thanks all for sharing the great Tiger pix...keep it up!

I'm looking for a Tiger to replace my Bonneville, which is a fabulous bike, my favorite ever, but just a bit too small. I'll keep the KLR with knobbies for the ugly stuff, but the Tiger will work well for my main street ride and fire road explorer. I really appreciate drooling over these great bikes!(snip)
Thanks in advance...and let's see more Tigers!
Here is my Tiger at the recent Scaredy Cat DS Rally out of Lyons, Oregon

Sabre, I'm interested to hear your thoughts as a Bonneville owner. How does it compare powerwise to the KLR? How 'bout ease of maintanance and overall maintanance costs? I am considering either a KLR or a Bonny in the near future.
RedMenace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #127
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Sabre, I'm interested to hear your thoughts as a Bonneville owner. How does it compare powerwise to the KLR? How 'bout ease of maintanance and overall maintanance costs? I am considering either a KLR or a Bonny in the near future.
Red, I've enjoyed seeing your DS'd Tiger hack rig for several years...it's actually something I've considered doing as well, after I saw Dauntless's steamer rig a coupla years back. I had a Ural Bavarian Classic, and absolutely loved it. I miss owning that lovely rig, which made me grin like a kid every time I took her out, or simply when I walked into the garage. I ultimately sold her because I had a back injury and my primary copilot, my son (who uses a wheelchair for mobility), had grown too large to lift in and out of the chair. It became heartbreaking to take the rig out and have to leave him behind, so I found a loving home for that great BC. I've toyed with the idea of hinging the body of a Ural chair at the nose, and rigging some sort of pivoting seat that swings out ahead of the wheel, so that he could transfer directly from his wheelchair to the seat. It's something that's beyond my means right now, but we'll see about the future. If I ever do get back into a hack, it'll have much more snort than that poor, puny BC65!

Regarding your question: the Bonnie shares some of the KLR's best attributes, namely torque, adequate power for what it is, dead-nuts reliability, ease of maintenance, and (yes, I'll admit that style counts) panache. I've read with amusement some of the recent threads speculating about Triumph introducing a scrambler version of the Bonnie...not sure what the thought is there other than strictly an homage to nostalgia. As far as power goes, the stock KLR with minor enrichening of the OEM lean condition compares very favorably with the same treatment on the Bonneville. I've actually got the Triumph off-road ("TOR") pipes with the factory jet kit which gives a mild result in the seat of the pants, but a fabulous (but reasonable) improvement for the ears. I'll use the word "adequate" for the power of both machines. There's plenty on tap to cruise all day on the slab (though there are better bikes if that's where you'll spend your time), gobs of torque which makes tearin' around locally and cruising the blue highways a ton of fun, and I personally don't feel like I would want more power from either machine. Ease of maintenance? Neither requires anything more than routine LOF service, other than very infrequent valve checks. It's a piece of cake in either case, as is tinkerin' with stuff like jets if that's what you're into. Maintenance costs? I fortunately have never had to spend anything more than petty cash for oil and filters and such. You undoubtedly already know that you can source such things as valve shims from alternative sources that will save you big $$ over the OEM stuff. The KLR in particular has such a large owner base available on the net, with such a long history of one-design manufacture, that anything you want is nearly instantly available through dozens of sources at large discounts. The Bonnie has the edge in refinement and smoothness, of course, as they're entirely different in design, engineering and manufacture. With the burning of their factory, Triumph had the opportunity to start producing, with all their new digital machine tools, bikes with the closest tolerances available (outside of the over-engineered computerized German bikes, which I would never trust in the wilderness). That Bonneville is smoother than several Japanese inline fours that I've owned, and it handles absolutely beautifully. If you're picky, a few new shocks and a single stainless brake line will give it all the handling that you could ever want in such a lovely bike. The KLR is not too bad, but, again, you need to consider it for what it is. It's NOT a dirt bike, and it's not a sport tourer. Friends of mine, however, who are really into such things, can use the KLR to outrun the dirt bikers in the dirt and the squids in the twisties on the same bike. Of course, a zillion aftermarket farkles are available. In summary, it's very hard for me to compare the two, since I have chosen to own both and use them in a complimentary fashion. I literally alternate riding them every other day for commuting purposes. They serve very well together as stablemates in this respect.

However, I'm 6 ft, with a pretty long torso, and the KLR has near-perfect ergonomics for me after the addition of hi-rise bars. Even with the bar risers I recently added to the Bonneville, the frame itself is a bit cramped. I did the cafe racer thing years ago as a young man, with clipons and rearsets on my Yamaha SR-500 thumper, but as a mature fellow I prefer sitting up. The Bonneville's ergos are not cramped enough to fuss about for around town riding, but it's tiring on longer trips. It's NOT a ladies' bike, but my wife fits it beautifully, and women seem to look just wonderful on Bonnies! Alas, if I were a man of means, I'd never get rid of it, but it will have to go if I'm to get into a Tiger.

Actually, if I didn't have kids to raise, I'd have a couple of KLR's in different arrangements, and a couple of Bonnevilles in my stable, one as a classic, one as a bobber, etc. Each of them is really, really great.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #128
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Hi, I'm klingklang and this is Darling. We live in the province of Quebec and we travel mostly here. Sometimes paved road, sometimes backroad depend on the feeling but one thing is sure, we like to ride together.

picture credit: K2ride
klingklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 AM   #129
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,242
Reviving this thread...with my new wheel/tire setup (and custom blinker from CC'05):

Mudhen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #130
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Here is my Tiger at the recent Scaredy Cat DS Rally out of Lyons, Oregon

Sabre, you still looking for a Tiger? I have decided to clean out the garage and the Tiger is for sale. I need to get more beginner friendly bikes to do sidecar classes with...

My Garage Sale
Old 11-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #131
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Here's a pic of my new ride...just picked her up yesterday.

Never knew it look that pretty Show where it's been and new pictures of it.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #132
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Quote:
Sabre, you still looking for a Tiger? I have decided to clean out the garage and the Tiger is for sale. I need to get more beginner friendly bikes to do sidecar classes with...
Crap! Here I think I have everything figured out...getting rid of the Bonneville and using a Tiger for my primary street and dirt road machine...and you have to go throw that amazing hack rig of yours out for grabs! Dammit! Oh man, I really do drool over such things. Well, my wife (yes, my wife) is actually cleaning the garage right at this exact moment (yeah, and I'm on the 'puter...um...never mind), so there would be room for another bike/chair rig. And that steamer of yours is just hotter than all get-out. But, alas, I'm afraid that would put me right back in the miserable spot of having a son who really, really digs riding with me but having no good way to get him in and out of the hack from his wheelchair. Nuts! Otherwise...I'd be tempted, Red, sorely tempted...

All the best with finding a home for it and upgrading your teaching stable! Cheers!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #133
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Crap! Here I think I have everything figured out...getting rid of the Bonneville and using a Tiger for my primary street and dirt road machine...and you have to go throw that amazing hack rig of yours out for grabs! Dammit! Oh man, I really do drool over such things. Well, my wife (yes, my wife) is actually cleaning the garage right at this exact moment (yeah, and I'm on the 'puter...um...never mind), so there would be room for another bike/chair rig. And that steamer of yours is just hotter than all get-out. But, alas, I'm afraid that would put me right back in the miserable spot of having a son who really, really digs riding with me but having no good way to get him in and out of the hack from his wheelchair. Nuts! Otherwise...I'd be tempted, Red, sorely tempted...

All the best with finding a home for it and upgrading your teaching stable! Cheers!
...you know, you can remove the top front half of the Sputnik body....
Old 11-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #134
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,242
I'd just like to second my longing for that rig...RM's Tiger is what got me looking at them...
Mudhen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #135
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Reviving this thread...with my new wheel/tire setup (and custom blinker from CC'05):

Love the wheels
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote