ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #76
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Chairless

Been riding solo this week. The bike without the chair.







Quite tidy still I think. Turns left and! right real easy for now.
Stops good as well. But falls over when not held up at stand still.
Inherently unstable.
Oh and lane splits good.
Work is busy at the Mo and will take me away again soon but hope to fit the Airshock on the rear and get a mechanical park brake to satisfy the powers that be then of for the inspection.
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #77
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Talking More stuff

Pulled the spring from mine just as Brendan got his and did the same.
Wondering if I can get a different spring made to increase the amount of rotation available
http://www.ac-parts.co.uk/utilities/torsionbars.html Brendan found this (thanks mmate)
But I still think longer is required for increased rotation. As a spring has only a certain amount of give built into it. For example if it was half the length it would only have half the twist available before becoming over stressed. Of course one thing is, what quality steel do the Changs have? Did your parts come from the same factory as mine etc. They look the same.



This turned up yesterday A bicycle shock pump. The guage reads to 550psi I put it on my Fournales air shock that has been sitting around for literal years and it still had 350psi in it. Cool. So it doesnt seem to leak. Pumped it up to 500psi. Hope I don't hear a bang in the middle of the night . Pleased with this purchase even if it had to come from England on the far side of the planet from here. I understand the hose can give way but a good I hope plan is to get a better one from a scuba store? Any hints here?


This is something I bid on and won but not sure if it will work out as planned. I had in mind to mount the Gocart cable operated brake on the chair so as to have a mechanical brake to show the license people. It looks a bit bulky at 1st but will try later in the week. Needs cables and probably pads but they may get it over the pits and a pass. The hydraulic set is a Nissan 5/8 master cyclinder set for cable operation and a single piston caliper. They may do with a tidy and sevice with new hoses and cables. I thought the gokart peddles would mount on the chair frame. Lets see now, the hydraulic linked to the bike rear brake and the mechanical set up as an independant park come steer towards the chair brake. Could be viable.

brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #78
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME
 
Brendan J's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: ROLLIN AROUND THE VICTORIAN COUNTRY SIDE !!!
Oddometer: 1,484
It looks excatly the same set up as mine Bruce. Mine was in need of some decent greasing.
__________________
01 HONDA VFR800 FOR SALE
03 HONDA CB1300F3
13 HUSQVARNA WR125
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #79
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Suspension

Went and saw the local spring maker today regarding a new torsion spring for the chair. I was hoping for more suspension travel via a longer spring and perhaps better material. The man with more life experience than I (who rides motorbikes as well) Basicly said if you want increased rotation to give more travel and I want 3 times the travel (from 50mm to 150mm) then you need a spring 3 times as long or 6 ft. Or a smaller spring dia. So it looks like I will try fitting the Fournales to the Suzuki for the extra load capacity and put the Suzuki shock on the chair. It would be a better match for the chair I should think. Be nice to just buy Fournales shocks for the smooth air ride but not just yet.
This weekend looks a write of so may try to fit the airshock to the bike next week. If I can fit the gokart caliper on somewhere then I should be able to put it through the rego people.

Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #80
pops
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Stirling North South Australia
Oddometer: 1,539
Hi Bruce.


I have seen a few people using the front brake on a sidecar as a hand brake .

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #81
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Eh? Park brake~2

Came this last week. cable operated for a pit bike. Looks a bit small but will give it a go. Have ordered a front brake disc to fit to the Suzi 19" wheel thats going on the chair. Latter I hope to fit a proper caliper as well

Had just gotten home from work so needed a snack and some thinking juice.
If the caliper works as a park brake it will get the outfit through the re-registration process ( so the rego papers show a sidecar is fitted. )
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #82
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Talking Fournales shock

Got the Suzi shock out so lets see if I can make the fournales shock fit
Its about 18 mm longer eye to eye. With more travel to boot (about 50-60mm). But it will go on I think. It will raise the back about twice the length difference I guess and maybe it will be possible to bottom the wheel into the mudguard. But at 500psi I doubt it . Apparently the seals are rated to 4000psi. There is only a 10mm bolt each end of the shock so my guess is it would be the weakest point.


It is going into an application (rising rate supension) it is not designed for but if it works it will be a treat to ride on.
Bidding on a set of Fournales airshocks now (twin shocks) so I may have to build some earls forks yet.
I have a set of 2nd hand triple trees on the way from the US that I was going to get modified for increased rake in Canada but without some sort of engineering certificate I may as well do my own here. Shame they do lovely work. But a spare set of triples will make the best welding jig for the earles. But 1st will see if the bidding is a winner.

Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #83
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Talking Front brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
Hi Bruce.


I have seen a few people using the front brake on a sidecar as a hand brake .

Cheers Ian
The rules ask for mechanical. Thank Ian.
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #84
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas
 
TouringDave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Frankston, Vic, Aust.
Oddometer: 6,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Came this last week. cable operated for a pit bike. Looks a bit small but will give it a go. Have ordered a front brake disc to fit to the Suzi 19" wheel thats going on the chair. Latter I hope to fit a proper caliper as well

Had just gotten home from work so needed a snack and some thinking juice.
If the caliper works as a park brake it will get the outfit through the re-registration process ( so the rego papers show a sidecar is fitted. )

I just realised this is the same handbrake I'm running on my Strom Bruce, works really well too!

__________________
K7 Strom with Chair
84 Kwaka GT750 Cafe Project
84 Kawaka GT750 Outfit Project
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #85
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donny662's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
The rules ask for mechanical. Thank Ian.
Cheers Bruce
Would a couple of wood blocks under the tires work?
__________________
Calvin: I think people worry too much about the little things. All they do is make themselves unhappy that way. Why get an ulcer over things that don't really matter?

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #86
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Eh? Good news er.... http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eek7.gif

So the good news is that I now have 2-3 months to work on the outfit to " finnish " it of.
The bad is that I am on compo with a busted wrist (left) from a fall at work.
So clutch hand is out, its Monday here and I have an op to pin the bones on Wednesday.
Thursday to get over anesthetic. Maybe Friday on in the shed as a one handed fabricator.
Realistically to be able to ride the outfit one hand I will need to set up a foot clutch for the right foot to keep the left for gear shifting, the clutch is cable operated so should be easy ish.
But the biggy will be to change the trail on the front end to make the steering light.
Any ideas for a quick resolution?
4 years ago I was sitting in this chair with the same wrist broken but not as badly. The right leg was broken and plated as well though so that was 3 1/2 months out of action. So a bit of ground hog day. I hope to make the time useful this time.
I do have some room though as a certain inmate releaved me of 4 sidecars last week. Very good timing really. I think if I was to import something again such as sidecars I would go to the factory myself and get a few mods done to modernise things a bit. Still it was neat to have done it successfully. I;E bought and sold imports.

Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #87
claude
Sidecar Jockey
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Middleburg, Pa. (Snyder County)
Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
So the good news is that I now have 2-3 months to work on the outfit to " finnish " it of.
The bad is that I am on compo with a busted wrist (left) from a fall at work.
So clutch hand is out, its Monday here and I have an op to pin the bones on Wednesday.
Thursday to get over anesthetic. Maybe Friday on in the shed as a one handed fabricator.
Realistically to be able to ride the outfit one hand I will need to set up a foot clutch for the right foot to keep the left for gear shifting, the clutch is cable operated so should be easy ish.
But the biggy will be to change the trail on the front end to make the steering light.
Any ideas for a quick resolution?
4 years ago I was sitting in this chair with the same wrist broken but not as badly. The right leg was broken and plated as well though so that was 3 1/2 months out of action. So a bit of ground hog day. I hope to make the time useful this time.
I do have some room though as a certain inmate releaved me of 4 sidecars last week. Very good timing really. I think if I was to import something again such as sidecars I would go to the factory myself and get a few mods done to modernise things a bit. Still it was neat to have done it successfully. I;E bought and sold imports.

Cheers Bruce
Sorry to hear about your wrist. Been there done that . I didn't know mine was broke until I pulled the glove off after a crash and saw there was a bone sticking out....heck rig up a foot clutch and go for it.
__________________
Claude

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #88
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Talking Thanks Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Sorry to hear about your wrist. Been there done that . I didn't know mine was broke until I pulled the glove off after a crash and saw there was a bone sticking out....heck rig up a foot clutch and go for it.
Thanks Claude one glance at my wrist told me all plans for a while had been changed, I will be bored witless soon as the discomfort eases. Like you I do stuff for a living and not just read or write about it. Mine and the wifes cars are manual transmission and here you need the left hand to change gears so the hack will be the most likely after the pushbike.
So be seeing what a man can do single handedly.
Still will need to change the steering pronto as it will get all to hard to go far, as Western Australia is far as in Mexico to Canada far
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #89
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME
 
Brendan J's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: ROLLIN AROUND THE VICTORIAN COUNTRY SIDE !!!
Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Thanks Claude one glance at my wrist told me all plans for a while had been changed, I will be bored witless soon as the discomfort eases. Like you I do stuff for a living and not just read or write about it. Mine and the wifes cars are manual transmission and here you need the left hand to change gears so the hack will be the most likely after the pushbike.
So be seeing what a man can do single handedly.
Still will need to change the steering pronto as it will get all to hard to go far, as Western Australia is far as in Mexico to Canada far
Cheers Bruce

You will find plenty to do even with the crook wrist By the way good to hear that you have sold the chairs you had. I will have to keep my eyes and ears open to see if they come available for sale somewhere. Wouldn't mind some spares for my chair.
__________________
01 HONDA VFR800 FOR SALE
03 HONDA CB1300F3
13 HUSQVARNA WR125
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #90
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth Western Australia
Oddometer: 431
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
You will find plenty to do even with the crook wrist By the way good to hear that you have sold the chairs you had. I will have to keep my eyes and ears open to see if they come available for sale somewhere. Wouldn't mind some spares for my chair.
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014