ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Gitana OP
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,722
Puget Sound Safety Motorcycle Maintenance Classes

Has anyone taken one of their classes? I'm looking to learn to do my own basic maintenance and am wondering if it's worth the $95 they charge.

http://www.pugetsoundsafety.com/info/mcm
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Steven
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Has anyone taken one of their classes? I'm looking to learn to do my own basic maintenance and am wondering if it's worth the $95 they charge.

I took both the level 1 and level 2 classes. I found them to be very informative and well worth the money.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Northwest Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
We are signed up for the one next month in Tacoma. Looking forward to it
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,948
Gitana, the local V-Strom crowd does really good tech days several times a year as well. Valves, TBS, suspension, pretty much anything... Next one probably isn't until the spring, and they'll be posted in the Northwest regionals section of Stromtrooper.
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,639
The course seems like it would be informative. However all of that info is readily availiable on the internet for free, combine that with directing the course cost towards a factory service manual, and going to hang out at a more mechanically savy riders place for some tech days and I think you would be ahead in knowledge for about the same cost...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Grantizzle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
The course seems like it would be informative. However all of that info is readily availiable on the internet for free, combine that with directing the course cost towards a factory service manual, and going to hang out at a more mechanically savy riders place for some tech days and I think you would be ahead in knowledge for about the same cost...
Agreed.

OP, post up what you would be interested in learning and I'm sure you'll get a few guys offering to show you what you want to know.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Gitana OP
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,722
I went ahead and signed up for the class. And I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for when the next V-Strom tech day is offered. I just purchased a (new to me) 2008 WeeStrom and picked it up in Prosser on Friday. Got it back and rode it into the house so that I can work on it in warmth and comfort rather than my cold, dark garage.

I've never wrenched on my bike. With previous bikes, I've relied on the dealer for most maintenance, which I can no longer afford to do. I've rebuilt car engines, so I figure that it can't be all that different. I'm doing an oil change next week since I have no idea whether or not the bike is running fossil or synthetic fuel (bike was a repo). The chain needs to be cleaned and lubed. I'd like to learn how to change the chain, change tires, change brake pads, the basics of the electrical system, how to do emergency repairs when out in the middle of nowhere. I want to be as self-sufficient as possible. I have a three week trip planned for this summer and want to be better prepared. I have a service manual on order; it should be here sometime next week.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
I went ahead and signed up for the class. And I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for when the next V-Strom tech day is offered. I just purchased a (new to me) 2008 WeeStrom and picked it up in Prosser on Friday. Got it back and rode it into the house so that I can work on it in warmth and comfort rather than my cold, dark garage.

I've never wrenched on my bike. With previous bikes, I've relied on the dealer for most maintenance, which I can no longer afford to do. I've rebuilt car engines, so I figure that it can't be all that different. I'm doing an oil change next week since I have no idea whether or not the bike is running fossil or synthetic fuel (bike was a repo). The chain needs to be cleaned and lubed. I'd like to learn how to change the chain, change tires, change brake pads, the basics of the electrical system, how to do emergency repairs when out in the middle of nowhere. I want to be as self-sufficient as possible. I have a three week trip planned for this summer and want to be better prepared. I have a service manual on order; it should be here sometime next week.
As great as our FJR Tech Days are here in the PNW, I'm still considering taking this basic maintenance course. Nothing beats hands on with a professional instructor to help you build confidence. The gang I ride/wrench with is top notch, and I never doubt the work we do, but I often feel a bit odd constantly asking questions, etc. Paying an instructor kinda removes that admittedly personal barrier. :)

Plus, I really like the idea of basic overall coverage across all the main areas of the bike. During our tech days we're more focused on specific jobs folks need done, and it's unlikely I'll need to sync my throttle bodies on the side of the road. ;)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
nwmcrider123
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Maint. lvl 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I took both the level 1 and level 2 classes. I found them to be very informative and well worth the money.
I also took level 1 and found it to be really informative. I'm fairly new as a rider and didn't want to "break" anything on my bike by trying to do my own maintenance. I'm much more confident now and I've made many adjustments to my bike to make it more comfortable and safer to ride. (even the little things help)

Hope this helps
nwmcrider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:

BMW charges $99 an hour for shop labor... if you learn one thing that saves you even 1 hour its a wash!

Better yet if you learn 1 thing that you would have screwed up learning to do it on your own then it's a winner
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
olygirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
So how was the class?

I feel I know a lot of what is listed for the first level. Beyond the benefit of possibly meeting some new locals (which I really want to do!) I'm not sure it's worth the money. I could look into the second level, but they say you really should take level 1 and I'm not so sure that, like stated above, I can't figure that stuff out from books, interwebs, and late night calls to friends.

I'm thinking I should spend the money on buying beer to feed to the friend that offered to help me chase down the problems with my bikes.

Opinions?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by olygirl View Post
So how was the class?
I'm thinking I should spend the money on buying beer to feed to the friend that offered to help me chase down the problems with my bikes.

Opinions?
What bike(s) do you have? You may be best off going with a local enthusiast group and buying them beer, assuming they're good about teaching you while working on the bikes. The local Wee Strom owners are pretty good about that
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote