Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #196
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Remember back in the day when riding just seemed less complicated and the term "ATGATT" had not been invented yet?

And when beginner bikes looked like this:

or this:

I went over to the new bike section and found a more modern beginner bike.

Of course, there are a lot of riders out there who think even a 500 is to small and start on a 600. What would they think of a little 90 or 100cc bike?

I sat on the CBR 250. It seemed like a nice enough bike. Much more modern than all the previous bikes I took pics of. In many ways more modern is better, more power, better suspension and brakes, less pollution out of the exhaust. Probably more reliable.

But in some ways this bike has gone backwards. The seat is your basic upholstered brick. And that's the rider part, the passenger seat is worse. On the older bikes it was easy to add a luggage rack so you could carry stuff.....or add that very versatile milk crate. Good luck adding more than a tank bag to the CBR, and maybe a tail bag if you're not carrying a passenger.

I'm glad I stopped in here. It was the highlight of the ride. I have always like small bikes and it was great to see all the small bikes on display. I would like to say it brought back old memories but I didn't have the chance to ride all these neat bikes back in the 60s and 70s. I only dreamed about it. Maybe I'm making up for not being able to ride those small bikes then by buying the two small scooters I have now. I'm many ways they are the modern equivalent of those old bikes, small, versatile, reasonably comfortable, inexpensive and most of all, just simple fun

Maybe instead of growing up, I'm trying to go backwards to my younger days.

After that it was a boring ride back to Huntsville.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #197
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Great report, I'll have to go check out the collection at Lake Hills Motors, looks like they have a lot of stuff.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #198
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,947
i see a trip to corith ms in my future

thanks

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #199
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Not that I am really interested, but out of curiostiy are they for sale?
Some of them had price tags on them and some didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Great report, I'll have to go check out the collection at Lake Hills Motors, looks like they have a lot of stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
i see a trip to corith ms in my future

thanks
It's a pretty boring ride to Corinth from Huntsville, by taking a less than straight route it's better from Memphis, but it's definately worth a stop if you're going through the area anyway like I was.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #200
Ernbo6
Ernbo6

Oddometer: 75
Great Thread

So I continued on. Despite my "keen sense of direction" I did make it to my destination. I also managed to make a 200 mile trip into a 300 mile ride.

Hey, this is my superpower too much to the dismay of my family. I have enjoyed reading your thread, keep it up.

"Time waits for no one."
Ernbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #201
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernbo6 View Post
So I continued on. Despite my "keen sense of direction" I did make it to my destination. I also managed to make a 200 mile trip into a 300 mile ride.

Hey, this is my superpower too much to the dismay of my family. I have enjoyed reading your thread, keep it up.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it. Nice meeting you and the Mrs at the ADV dinner. Hope we get the chance to ride together some time.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:30 PM
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #202
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

With Labor day weekend approaching, I made plans for some more full throttle touring. The original plan was for a four day trip to the WNC mountains and camping at Iron Horse. This would be my first time staying at Iron Horse and my first time camping off the bike. I have camped before but only when I brought my truck to haul my camping gear.

I needed some lighter and smaller camping gear......or a bigger bike

Camping gear was more affordable. I got a coleman 30-50 degree sleeping bag for around $30. A camping pillow for 12. The a Inflatable/foam sleeping pad for $55. And finally, a 7 x 7 el cheapo Wally World special tent for $25.

Then the weather forecast changed with a tropical storm coming from the Gulf threatening to wash out the second half of the weekend. So I changed my plans........several times.

In the end, I ended up just winging it.

I left Huntsville a little after 7 Saturday morning. I-565 - 72 - 35 - 40. Then it was north on 71 which I had not ridden before but I figured it would be a nice country road like 40 & 117 which I took last time I rode to tellico Plains.

Well,.......................it wasn't exactly what I expected.

I think you get the idea. It was one yard sale after another. There must have been close to a thousand of them. And of course there was lots of traffic. One driver drove for miles, slowing to 5 MPH to check out every yard sale while ignoring all the traffic lined up behind him. I eventually passed him.

At the Georgia line, 71 became GA 136. There were a few nice curves as it descended down the mountain just before crossing I-59. I considered jumping on 59 to make time since I planned on meeting some other inmates at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters at around 1:00. But I'm try to minimize my time on the highway so I continued on 136 the got on the Lookout Mountain Parkway.

I had only ridden here once before and that was years ago riding in the opposite direction. I stopped near the hang glider port and took a few pics.

It's a great view from here.

There is a hang glider in the top left corner.

My Aprilia loaded with all my camping gear.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 07:51 PM
Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #203
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then it was down the Mountain to Chattanooga. Lots of nice curves but too much traffic to go very fast. I picked up I-24 to I-75 north. The Aprilia does just fine on the highway and I even passed a lot of people. It's neat riding on something that doesn't look much bigger than many 50cc scooters on the interstate. Then I followed the bypass around Cleveland to 64 east. Then a left on 30 which had recently been repaved and is now clean and in good shape. Best of all I didn't come up behind any slow moving traffic untill about a mile before reliance. 30 is a great ride with plenty of curves

Then it was 315 north to 39 east into Tellico Plains. More nice riding.

I got to TMO around 12:45. No sign of the three KLR riders who had posted that they would be here. Of course they were coming from Alabama, Florida, and north Carolina so what are the odds that we would get here close to the same time? I did run into anatic, an inmate I met and rode with last fall. I also talked to another KLR rider for a while. After about 30 mins I decided to head off and get something to eat.

Some thing to think about if you are planning any "full throttle riding" around here. You could end up here:

I got a hot dog for lunch at the Tellico Beach drive in.

Then it was over the Skyway. I love my Aprilia but it could use a few more horsepower when climbing up long hills like the skyway. I really was "full throttle" much of the time.

The Skyway was fun and so was 143 towrds Robbinsville. Traffic was surprisingly light and I was able to ride at a reasonable speed without getting stuck behind traffic much.

Then I stopped a wheelers were then had advertised free food.

There were quite a few people and bikes when I got there but my I must have forgot to put on my deoderant because most of them left shortly after I got there

So I looked around and then headed off towards Deals Gap. I was still planning on staying at Iron Horse but I thought I'd see if there was anyone I knew at the Gap. I had no intention of riding through Deals Gap since I expected it to be clogged with road slugs and cops.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 12:19 PM
Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #204
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

129 from Robbinsville to Deals Gap is a nice ride with lots of high speed sweepers. I did get stuck behind a slow moving cruiser for a while but eventually passed him. It started raining off and on but not enough for me to stop and put on my rain suit.

When I arrived at Deals Gap, there was a fairly large crowd but not as large as I would expect on a Holiday Weekend. I saw a KLR with NC tags and thought it might be one of the guys who posted he would be in the area.
Sure enough, it was Cgirou. It was his first time to Deals gap. We talked a bit and I got his pic.

Cgirou, nice meeting you. Maybe next time well get the chance to rid together.

Wandering around some more I saw this.

It was another sport city 250. It didn't look to good. Some cosmetic damage and a bent fork.

It turns out I had met the owners husband a few times before. So he introduced me to his wife tammy. He was the one responsible for "modifying" the scooter

So I talked with Tammy and Bill for awhile. They invited me to pitch my tent next to theirs and make use of their picnic table and shelter. The nice thing about camping is that no reservations are required and it's possible to change plans at a moments notice. I told them I'd consider it and then wandered around some more.

Spotting another KLR, I went and talke to the owner. This time it was Speedracertdi, up from Florida. He had also posted that he would be in the area. Speedracertdi, nice meeting you too.

I decided to stay here. I thought the mini super moto races would be interesting to watch and also there was food available here unlike Iron Horse where you have to make dinner reservation in advance.

My tent with Bill and Tammys setup behind it.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 12:20 PM
Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #205
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The restaurant at Deals Gap is not exactly goutmet dining but the price is reasonable and the burger I had for dinner was good and filled me up.

It was getting late and I noticed that the amount of traffic going by had decreased quite a bit. Less traffic and maybe the LEOs have gone home by now

So I decided to go for a ride.

Despite the decrease in traffic, it didn't take long to come up behind a road slug. I didn't know if any LEOs where still around so I decided not to pass. I pulled over and let the slug go down the road. Then I rode on at a fun pace. When I caught up I turned around and went the other way a bit then U turned again. I eventually worked my way to the overlook and got in lots of cornering practice

I never did see any LEOs. Even the photographers had gone home.

A lt has been written about Deals Gap. Many people say it is over-hyped and over rated. I agree with the over hyped, it really isn't that challenging of a road.......at least not if you know how to ride. It is however, a lot of fun if you catch it at a time when you can ride it at a fun speed. It was a great chance for me to get some practice on the Aprilia. I really haven't approached it's limits yet. It feels like it's going faster than it really is so I tend to go into curves too slow. the only solution is more practice

So I got more practice. I had a clean run about halfway back, then decided to turn around. A bunch of traffic came by so I went a few miles before turning around again. By the time I got back to the resort, I had ridden about 40 miles and it was pretty dark.

Then it was time for the 88cc mini super moto races. They do this every other saturday night. They layed out a tight course in the parking lot using natural obstacles and a bunch of cones. I tried getting some pics of the action but didn't want to blind the racrs with a flash so they didn't come out very good.

This was practice.

pre race meeting.

The gal on the right had on a set of wings with flashing lights. It looked really cool. She rode the practice but didn't race.

A few more pics when they weren't racing.

The racing was great. And now I can say I went to Deals Gap and saw a bunch of crazy riders racing on high performance bikes, dragging their kness through the curves while fighting for postion and passing each other at every chance. I saw at least 2 dozen crashes in less than an hour And the cops did nothing

klaviator screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 01:41 PM
Old 09-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #206
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had never considered camping at Deal Gap because I thought it would be too loud and that the facilities sucked. I was wrong about the facilities. The small bath house down in the parking lot is old but there is a nice one up the hill that is much better. I was also concerned about the noise. I was told that it was pretty quite after dark. It mostly was but someone would occasionally fire up one of the mini super motos and ride a couple of laps. Someone on a straight pipe harley rode up the hill and it was loud enough to wake the dead. Eventually it quieted down. I didn't sleep well. I'm used to camping with an air mattress. The thin pad I had was not quite enough padding. On top of that it was slippery and my sleeping bag would slide around on it. Being camped on a slight slope didn't help. I don't want to be hauling around a bulky air mattress and air pump around on the bike but I'm going to have to figure out some way to get more comfortable when camping off the bike. Maybe some sort of cover for the ground pad to make it less slippery and add a little padding. Anyone have any suggestions?

Despite a less than great nights sleep, I woke up early and was ready to ride.

Hardly anyone else was up and there was little traffic.

So I headed through Deals Gap to the overlook. I had to pass a minivan early on but then had a clean run till just before the overlook. I was starting to feel more confident and was going a little faster through the curves. No LEOs yet and only one photographer out this early. Here's links to soem of the pics from US129 Photographers: http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...po=238&pc=1694 , http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...po=259&pc=1694 , http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Th...4&g=0QAK011L07

These guys showed up shortly after I did.

It was nice to see a passenger on a sport bike actually properly dressed for the ride.

Then I headed back to Deals Gap, got some gas and made another run to the overlook and back

One more pic at the overlook.

Riding Deals Gap with little traffic and no LEOs is a blast. It was also the practice I needed to get more comfortable on the Aprilia. I was too early for Killboy but US129 Photographers did get a bunch of pictures of me. From the pics I can see that I still have plenty of cornering clearance left and still need to work on my cornering speed. My body is also slightly more upright than my bike. It's a common mistake and not that big of a deal........until you run out of ground clearance

One more thing for me to work on.

Then it was time for breakfast. After that I hung out and talked to people for awhile. Traffic going through Deals Gap was now too heavy to consider another run through.

I did get a pic to show that there were actually two Aprilia Sport City 250s at the same place and same time.

I headed south on 28 and stopped at the place in front of Fontana Village, I'm not sure of it's name.

They had quite a selection of t shirts inside.

But they can't seem to make up their minds on what too call 28.

Is it Hellbender?

Or moonshiner?

Whatever. I have never heard anyone except a few tourists who don't know any better use either one

klaviator screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 01:39 PM
Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #207
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I continued down 28. I looked but didn't see any moonshiners or Hell being bent. There were some nice tight twisties followed by miles of high speed sweepers. Some sportbikes pased me but I quickly caught up to them.

We all turned right on 143 towards robbinsville and the Cherohala. The four sportbikes decided to pass an SUV. 3 of them passed over the double yellow. One decided there was just enough room, 2-3 feet, to pass on the right, while the others were passing on the left. I have no problem with passing over the double yellow but this guy was an idiot.

I stopped in Robbinsville and got a sandwich, chips, and drink at Subway but decided to take them with me and eat at one of the picnic areas on the Skyway.

There were a few spots along the Skyway where it looked like the leaves were starting to change.

Further on it looked like rain ahead.

But I stayed dry.

I stopped and had lunch at my favorite picnic area just before the NC/TN line.

On the TN side, the road slug traffic increased. I was passed by a squid and followed him and some cruisers for several miles. The squid provided some entertainment is would stand up, or stretch his legs or just weave side to side. It didn't look lie he was very comfortable on his bike.

I stopped at the Tellico Beach Drive in and had a hot fudge sunday for desert.

Then I took a left on 68.

Here's hunts Lodge Motorcycle resort on 68 just south of Tellico Plains.

It just doensn't seem like that great of a location. They are right on a main road. Elevation is too low to be comfortable in the summer heat. That would make it a 2 season resort.

A little further on 68 I saw a sign for Conasauga Falls. Time for some exploring. I turned on to a narrow, bumpy paved road.

The pavement soon ended.

I turned right at the sign.

I soon came to a dead end. There was a hiking trail but I had no idea how far it was to the falls or if it would be worth the hike so I turned around. If I was on a dual sport I would have probably explored the other road by the sign in the last pic but decided not to push my luck on the scooter.

Another pic on the way out.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #208
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After my little detour, I decided to continue on 68/GA60 all the way to Dahlonega. Just past Copperhill I saw a road off to the right that I hadn't been on before.

It ran along a river.

I rode underneath a train.

I didn't know where this road was going but ended up back on 60 just a few miles down the road.

60 has always been on of my favorites. Lots of nice curves and pretty scenic too.

I stopped at the Cooper Creek store to check out this really awesome scooter.

Passed a 1200GS on 60.

I had heard that the Suches gas station & store, formerly know as Dales had a new owner who was motorcycle friendly. This gas station has a history. Under Dale's management, it was a great place to hang out. Then the owner who seemed to be a jerk, an idiot and not motorcycle friendly took it over. Hopefully the new owner will turn it around. I stopped in to check it out.

It looks like a good start. I'll be back to check it out in the near future.

TWO looks sad like this. It should have a parking lot full of bikes and riders.

Then I stopped at Riders Hill. Ran into Bill and Tammy who were dropping off their Sport City. They were going to either repair or replace it, depending on the insurance company. Bill also said he was going to try to sell his DL650 and replace it with another Sport City. He's a pretty hard charging rider. To replace a 650 with a 250 scooter says a lot about how much fun this thing can be.

After that I took the back roads most of the way home. I stayed dry until just a few miles from home. At that point I didn't feel like stopping to put on my rainsuit.

I ended up riding over 300 miles each day. The Aprilia really did great. It is more comfortable than almost all of the motorcycles I have owned. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it cross country. My only real complaint is that it could use just a bit more power. Top speed is fine but acceleration, especially up hills is a little lacking. On several occasions I was passed by much bigger and faster motorcycles. Then we would go into some curves where I would stay right with them, but the first straight and they would be gone. The problem is, to get more power, you also usuelly get bigger and heavier. Thats a tradeoff I'm not sure I would be willing to make. Of course, in Europe, they get the Sport City 300. Same size, weight and horsepower, but more torque. I may experiment with lighter rollers in the CVT to gain a little performance under acceleration and up hills.

After getting to Marietta, my trip was not finished. Monday was a pretty crappy and rainy day. I did not do any riding. On tuesday I rode from Marietta to Huntsville. It rained most of the way. I didnt' really get wet. It was just a light to moderate rain. But I forgot how cold it can be riding in the rain so I didn't dress warm enough. With all the heat we had this summer, who's worried about getting cold. Oh well, I was cold but I survived. That brought my total mileage for the trip to about 800.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 01:00 PM
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #209
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

In case anyone is wondering whatever happened to my Super 8. I've been riding it nearly every day. I haven't ridden the cage to work yet this summer. I had an interesting ride today. I needed to get some luggage, which I did. Of course I used the Super 8

While in the parking lot at target, a guy came up and started talking scooters. He has a People 150 and his girlfriend a Vespa GTS 250. I have seen a few scooters around Huntsville but this was the first time I actually met a scooter rider. He asked if there were any scooter clubs in the area. I haven't found any. Anyway, scooter enthusiasts are in a distinct minority so it was nice actually meeting and talking to one. Andre, if you find this thread, it was nice meeting you Maybe we'll get a chance to go for a ride some day.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #210
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
hmmm. I wonder what it would sound like if you hacksawed off that big ole exhaust can

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote