Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #211
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
hmmm. I wonder what it would sound like if you hacksawed off that big ole exhaust can
Instead of sawing off the exhaust I think I'll mount some big speakers in place of the tail box and play the soundtrack of a straight pipe Harley as I ride. That should get some looks

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #212
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
double dare ya
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #213
osbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Rocket City

Love the reports. Some of your photos are the areas I visited as a Boy Scout back in the 70s.
Please keep them coming...Sweet X home Alabama !

Jim ( HSV resident 1964 to 1979)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #214
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been just over a year since I came to Huntsville and just over 11 months and 4100 miles since I got my Super 8, so I thought it was time for an update. It's been awhile since my last update. Part of the reason is that I have just gotten ride report burn out. The other reason is that now that I have been in Huntsville long enough that things are no longer new and exciting. When you see something for the first time it's new , exciting and worth taking pictures and commenting on. After 100 times, it just isn't.

I have also been riding my super 8 nearly every day and managed to ride to work every day this summer. 4100 miles is not a lot of miles in 11 months but most of my rides are 5-10 miles so that's a lot of short trips. The neat thing about the Super 8 is that it is still a blast every time I get on it. It's hard to imagine a more fun bike for the type of short trips I use it for.

I love the fall and the colorfull leaves. Unfortunately I blinked and missed the peak leaf season here in Huntsville. Still I did go out and try to capture some of the fall colors near my apartment. I failed miserably but here's a few pics anyway.

No colors here, just some "top secret" hay bales behind the barbed wire fence on Redstone Arsenal.

klaviator screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 01:46 PM
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #215
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It would be nice if every ride was an adventure. Every ride is a potential adventure but the fact is that most of my rides are more routine. Actually much of my life is routine. I ride to work at approximately the same time every night, on the same route. I ride to Walmart to get groceries, on a route that it seems I have done a thousand times. The first time I did these rides it seemed like an adventure, but after a few times, it becomes part of my routine. Looking back at my life, I have had many routines. Since I have moved a lot, 17 times since I was 18, my routines have often changed and what was a well know routine soon becomes a faded memory. On of the routines I have had for the last year is my commute between Huntsville and Marietta. It's actually a pretty nice drive/ride with only a few miles of interstate and lots of rural scenery with some small towns and cities mixed in. I have probably done it close to 40 times now. I really doesn't seem like much of an adventure especially since I usually do it in the cage. When I do ride I usually take another route just to see something different. This past weekend I decided to ride my normal route and take some pics to document the ride. Who knows when this routine will end and someday be a distant memory. If I went back tomorrow and tried to do some of my past commutes, I would probably get lost

I have two sightly different routes and I ended up doing both this weekend. First the trip to Marietta. Took some back roads to I-565. I-565 to 231 south. Here's some pics on 231 in Huntsville. These pics are not the most exciting, but it seems there are a few former Huntsville residents following along so I'll post them. It's also something to remind me of this time in my life when I move on and the memory starts to fade.

Looking east from 231 at the mountains, The aren't very big but technically they are mountains. There where also some colorful leaves, which my cheap camera (or lack of skill as a photograher) failed capture.

Looking south.

The Hunstville Cycle Nation. I stop in occasionally but have yet to see much of interest. Just like the Cycle Nation in Canton GA. it just doesn't impress me. It's a large impressive looking building but once you get inside, it's a big dissapointment. If I need something cycle related I go to Midway Cycles or Cycle Gear.

Approaching the bridge over the Tennessee River.

Crossing the Bridge. My guess that this used to be the only bridge with one lane each way, then they added the second bridge to the left.

There are some small mountains/hills just south of the river. I've been meaning to see if there is any interesting riding there. Maybe someday, but not today.

Continueing on 231

Typical small town scenery.

Rural Alabama. The most common critter here......Tar Snakes.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #216
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The first city I get to south of Huntsville is Arab. I always thought that Arab was a weird name for a city in Alabama, so I did some research. It was supposed to be named Arad, but ended up Arab due to a misspelling by the post office What a way to name a town.

I started thinking ( I do that occasionally but stop when my brain starts to hurt ), what makes this a city and not just a town. Is there some certain population? My best guess is that to be a city, it must have this.

That's right, a Wal-mart. To be a town I think the requirement is it must have at least a Dollar general, because without a Dollar general, it ain't nuthin.

Arab, Al

It may not be California or New York city, but it does have better gas prices

About 15 minutes past Arab I turn on to 278 East and follow it most of the way home.

A common sight out here in farm country.

This small town has not only a Dollar General but also a Piggly Wiggly.

Surprisingly, there are few cotton fields along my route.

klaviator screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 09:57 AM
Old 11-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #217
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

About half way through my commute I go through the largest city along my route, the Great Gadsden. I know it is an important city because it has a Wal-Mart AND a Dollar general. Normally I just pass through on the main route through town as quickly as I can stopping only for gas if I need it. Since I'm riding today, I'm more in the mood for some exploring. Besides, It's chilly and I didn't dress warm enough. So I follow the sign to "Historic downtown Gadsden" I park under the most brightly colored tree around.

And wander around wearing my bright yellow riding jacket.

It's pretty busy here.

It's nice to see an old downtown like this thriving.

Although there is no shopping here that would interest me, I really like the old buildings.

A window display catches my eye.

This is a printing supply place or something like that. I'm not sure what the mini choppers are doing here.

A little bit about the history of Gadsden.

Not sure what this is.

Bridge over the Coosa River.

After walking around for awhile in my riding gear, I have warmed up and it's time to head back to my scooter and get back on the road.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #218
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After Gadsden, it was 278 east which is mostly rural. I soon started to get cold again and didn't take a lot of pictures. Here's a couple.

Trying to capture those fall colors. This is in Georgia.

Then it was a left on 120 at Dallas, Ga and 120 to Marieta. It's about a 175 mile Commute. Return trip coming up.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #219
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was a beautiful day for my ride back, sunny and reasonably warm. I didn't start taking pics till I got to the Alabama line, between Cedartown, GA and Piedmont, AL

This is the most remote part of my trip with no Cell coverage for quite a while.

One of the first things in Alabama is this abandoned Fireworks shack.

Lots of trees and small mountains.

Some signs of civilization.............but still no cell signal.

This area was hit hard by the tornadoes in the spring.

'

Lots of old vehicles around this place.

About half of them of VW vans

Not everyone out here lives in trailers or shacks.

Interesting name for a town.

Shortly after Hokes Bluff I was back in Gadsden where I decided to stop for a few pics and do some exploring.

The waterfront along the Coosa river.

Then I decided to explore the hills just north of Gadsden. If I was in the cage I would never just wander around and go exploring. Thats one thing that makes traveling on two wheels so special.

I found an interesting road but it was goiing the wrong way so I only followed it a few miles.

I didn't take any more pics but the mountains north of Gadsden seem to to be pretty extensive. I need to come back some time when I have more time and do some more exploring here.

After Gadsden I decided to take 431 instead of 231. It's more congested but also has more interesting scenery.

klaviator screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 04:56 PM
Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #220
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

At Guntersville, 431 has a lot of nice water views.

Old Rvs for sale are a common sight.

It's a great day to be riding

The water views seem to go on forever.

Crossing the last mountain before Hunstville.

From here it's about 20 minutes to my apartment and the end of another 175 mile commute. It's not real exciting by adventure rider standards but above average as commutes go. I have no idea how long I will continue to do this commute so I wanted to document it. I hope It didn't bore you too much.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #221
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

First, a salute to all my fellow veterans on Veterans Day

I decided to go for a ride and and enjoy the beautiful weather today.

I've posted pics of this swamp before but I think it's cool so here's one more.

I rode to Rainbow Mountain ( really more of a hill) and went for a 1.5 mile hike.

Riding back down the mountain.

There's some nice houses up here.

Then I stopped at Applebees to take advantage of the free meals the were serving too all military and Veterans. There was a line but since I was by myself I got a seat at the bar, was waited on immediately, and got my food about 5 minutes later. Contrary to the saying, there is a free lunch...well almost free, I did leave a tip.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #222
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,947
many thanks to you and all the other vets for ya'lls service

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #223
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
amigo klaviator;

this thread (and others) are the ones that got me into scooters, so I blame you for it!!! thank you.

So you wrote that you have over a year and 4k + miles on the super 8, can you comment on maintenance, what you like (and don't) top speed, mpg's, mods done, mods you want to do, and as many thing you want.

Thanks!!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #224
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
amigo klaviator;

this thread (and others) are the ones that got me into scooters, so I blame you for it!!! thank you.

So you wrote that you have over a year and 4k + miles on the super 8, can you comment on maintenance, what you like (and don't) top speed, mpg's, mods done, mods you want to do, and as many thing you want.

Thanks!!

Damasovi
I appreciate the kind words.

I also liked the pic of the Ensenada coastline you recently posted in scooter pics

Here's an update on the Super 8

I'm at 4700+ miles. Getting ready to change the oil, spark plug and check the valves. My first valve check @ 2500 miles showed them all to be in spec so I didn't adjust anything.

I recently checked the belt thickness and it's below specs so I'll be replacing it soon.

The stock tires show little sign of wear and look like they'll go at least another 4700 miles.

I'd like to say the scooter has been problem free but I have had a few minor problems. They were quickly fixed under warrantee and I wasn't stranded anywhere. Midway Cycles in Madison, AL where I bought it has provided outstanding service when I had problems. I have done all routine maintenance myself. Total maintenance costs so far have been around $30. If I didn't use synthetic oil it would be much less. I use Shell Rotella 5W40 full synthetic.

Performance of the Super 8 has been pretty good. Top speed is about 62-64 MPH indicated but that's probably around 55-60 actual. Comfortable cruising speed is around 50-55 indicated. I get around 75 MPG. Last winter I needed to let the engine warm up a little in cold weather. Now that it's fully broken in I can start it up and ride away even when it's below freezing. It starts easily using the electric start or kick starter.

I commuted to work on the scooter every day this past summer, most days this fall and over half of the days so far this winter. My commute is at night so I won't ride if there might be ice on the roads because I probably wouldn't be able to see the ice. My coldest commute so far has been 26* F.

I have another scooter and two motorcycles but for short trips around town my Super 8 is the most fun. I'm also planning on taking it for a ride in the Smoky mountains like I did last year. The report on last year's ride is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670468

klaviator screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 05:57 AM
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #225
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
thank you klaviator!!!

This is a great looking scooter!! I want to sit on it and maybe a test drive for one day buy it. and since the cruising speed is 50-55 is exactly what I want & need.

Scooters are so much fun, they just put me in the happy zone!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote