Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #226
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
thank you klaviator!!!

This is a great looking scooter!! I want to sit on it and maybe a test drive for one day buy it. and since the cruising speed is 50-55 is exactly what I want & need.

Scooters are so much fun, they just put me in the happy zone!

Damasovi
That 50-55 MPH cruising speed is what the speedometer shows. Actual cruising speed is around 45-50. Top speed is 55-60.

One thing I forgot to post before was the headlight. It has dual 35W headlights and both are on for high and low beam. Low beam is OK but the High beam is great. I'm glad the headlight works so well since might commute to work is in the dark.

And you're right about scooters being fun. I think a lot of motorcycle riders think scooters must be boring since they don't have much power but they don't know what they are missing.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #227
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I posted a few times to it already. I have a 2009 Kymco People 150. We have moved to the Big Island of Hawaii on Sept 5th. Had to remove and clean out the carb, as Stabil isn't enough for this dam ethanol/gasoline mix. Since then I've ridden it often with no problems. Seems like a fine ride for this island. Mostly I'm getting gas mileage in the 80s, with a low of about 72 and a high of 96. Cruises fine at 50-55 (which is 55 and 60 on the speedo). My tank is bigger than the Super 8. I've added up to about 1.75 to it. The tank is easy to fill and top off, which may sound like a dum thing to say, unless you have ever tried to fill a SYM HD200 tank to a consistant level (which is about impossible).

The Kymco is really handy to jump on and ride off.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #228
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I posted a few times to it already. I have a 2009 Kymco People 150. We have moved to the Big Island of Hawaii on Sept 5th. Had to remove and clean out the carb, as Stabil isn't enough for this dam ethanol/gasoline mix. Since then I've ridden it often with no problems. Seems like a fine ride for this island. Mostly I'm getting gas mileage in the 80s, with a low of about 72 and a high of 96. Cruises fine at 50-55 (which is 55 and 60 on the speedo). My tank is bigger than the Super 8. I've added up to about 1.75 to it. The tank is easy to fill and top off, which may sound like a dum thing to say, unless you have ever tried to fill a SYM HD200 tank to a consistant level (which is about impossible).

The Kymco is really handy to jump on and ride off.
Hawaii seems like a great place to ride a scooter of that size. My first experience on a scooter was two days of fantastic riding on a rented Riva 125 in Hawaii about 25 years ago. I probably wouldn't have a scooter today if not for that experience.

So when are you going to post a ride report showing your scooter and all the great scenery in Hawaii?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #229
b-dubya
Scoot scoot scoot

Oddometer: 35
Nice ride report!!! Seeing your pics between Marietta and Huntsville seriously make me want to plan the beginning of my trip thought that direction. Thanks again!!!!
b-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #230
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dubya View Post
Nice ride report!!! Seeing your pics between Marietta and Huntsville seriously make me want to plan the beginning of my trip thought that direction. Thanks again!!!!
It's a good ride, we like to go up through Summerville and over to Mentone, down through Valley Head and into Scottsboro. In Mentone there are great roads along the ridge with nice views, then a dip for hot feet in Desoto Falls.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #231
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
It's a good ride, we like to go up through Summerville and over to Mentone, down through Valley Head and into Scottsboro. In Mentone there are great roads along the ridge with nice views, then a dip for hot feet in Desoto Falls.
Going up through Mentone is a great ride, but also a lot further so I only occasionally go that way. I also like Little River Canyon and plan on doing more riding around there.

As for B-dubya's trip, he will be riding a 50cc scooter cross country so he will have to plan his route to account for the limited speed of his scooter.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #232
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Awesome!

Everyone can be an ADV Rider, good on ya
monkeydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #233
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Despite a lack of updates, I have been riding regularly. I've been riding almost every day commuting to work and running errands. My coldest commute so far has been 22 degrees. It can be quite an adventure trying to stay warm but hardly something worth posting. I have done some longer rides on the weekends from my home in Marietta. My normal destination has been the motorcycle dealer where I bought my Aprilia. It's an interesting ride and an interesting destination. Riders Hill / European Motorsports is NOT your typical motorcycle dealer.

A few weekends ago I decided to Head up to Riders Hill and check out a few places I've been meaning to go for a while. My route took me further east than my normal route.

My first stop was the Scooter dealer where I stopped at when I was looking for a bigger scooter last year. It seemed like a real nice place and the people there made a good impression on me and my wife. Here's a pic of the place:

I stopped, looked around and ended up talking to the guys there for about 20 minutes. They are true enthusiasts and are trying to organize some scooter events and rides. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a Vespa, Piaggio, Sym or Genuine scooter.

From there it was up to Atlanta Motorworld, a large multi brand dealer. I stopped, looked around, saw nothing of interest, and left.

From there I rode up to Acme Rider Supply. I've been looking for a new pair of riding pants that have all the features I want and so far have not been able to find anything. I have heard good things about this place.

They did have a pretty good selection of riding gear and the owner, Andrew was very knowledgeable on the stuff he carried. I did find some pants that were close to what I want but I'm going to look around some more. I did take a couple of pics. This is Acme rider Supply in Alpharetta, Ga:

It's not a real big place but has a better selection than most motorcycle dealers and seemed to have pretty good prices too. If you're looking for riding gear I would recommend checking this place out.

Then it was off to Dahlonega and Riders Hill.

I took a different route from what I normally do and discovered this waterfall that I have never seen in over 20 years of riding this area.

That's all the pics i took on this ride but i did go back up this past Sunday to get a new rear tire for my Sport City. It was 27 degrees when I left my house at around 11:30. Passing through Dawsonville about 3/4 of the way up i saw a bank sign that read 34 degrees. Distance to Riders hill is about 80 miles if I take the most direct route, which I did. Not surprisingly, I only saw one other bike on the road. I got top Rider's Hill and took my Scooter to the tire shop where they had a tire waiting for me.

Here is why rider's Hill is not your average dealer. First, they are open Wednesday through Sunday. Second, they have some die hard, regular customers who ride up here even when it's in the 20's.

There are only a few bikes in the parking lot but a few more came and went before and after this pic was taken.

There's the tire shop and service shop. They used to have both in the building on the right but their business has been so good they expanded and built a new building.

Why have they been so successful? here's one reason:

They have a cafe inside where you can get something to eat while you're swapping lies with the other riders here. It's also very nice to have a place to hang out while you're getting a tire mounted or bike serviced

Some more pics of the inside:

It turned out that several of the regulars were here so I had a good time talking with them while my tire was getting mounted.

After getting my tire mounted I headed back home. It was a balmy 38 degrees passing through Dawsonville on the way home. Since i had super thick gloves on and my fingers were freezing I didn't take any pics on the way home. BTW, I had no electric gear and my scooter has little wind protection. The only way I was able to keep from freezing was to stop a few times and take a brisk walk to get my blood flowing back to my hands.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 07:59 PM
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #234
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

There is some interesting riding between Marietta and Dahlonega ond of course lots of great riding up past Dahlonega. Here's a few Pics from a ride I did In December on my KLR.

I rode up to Rider's hill for lunch. It was a pretty nice day so a number of people were out riding today.

Then I headed up to Suches. Stopping at the Suches gas station I ran in to GT, the last proprietor of TWO. He was headed out for a ride and invited me along. So I went.

A pic of the country side:

We picked up one more rider and then stopped by Van Zandt's store.

Then it was off to ride some forest service roads:

Gary on the KLR and GT on the DR350.

We rode for a while and then split up since I had to ride all the way back to Marietta.

Here's a few more pics of my ride home:

Hopefully I'll have the chance to do some riding in the Huntsville area in the next few weeks that is interesting enough to be worth posting about.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 03:20 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #235
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I normally go home to Marietta on weekends but my wife was out of town so I stayed in the Rocket City this weekend. It was nice to not have to make that 175 mile each way commute. Unfortunately the weather wouldn't allow for much of a ride this weekend so I decided to use the time to do some needed maintenance on the Super 8. I had just gone over 5,000 miles this past week.

By Sunday Afternoon all maintenance was done, the rain stopped and the sun started to peek through the clouds. At the last minute I decided to go for a ride and try to get some pics of the sunset. The temperature was mid 40s and dropping but it wouldn't be a real long ride. I headed east to the small mountain range just east of Huntsville.

Got the Sunset. Time to try some more night time photography. I've got an old camera and no experience but I figured I'd take a bunch of pics and see if any turned out.

Back before I got a scooter I really didn't enjoy riding around in the city and especially not at night. Although I prefer twisty roads out in the country, I now enjoy city riding, especially on the Super 8 which is super light, nimble and just a plain blast around town. I thought I'd try to get a few pics in the urban environment.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 06:50 PM
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #236
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

This past weekend the wife was going to be out of town and the weather forecast was a little chilly but nice so I decided it was time to do some riding. My original thought was to go to Deal's Gap and spend the weekend riding that area. The forecast for Saturday was a bit on the chilly (and Windy) side so I decided to use Saturday to take care of a fuel pump recall on my Aprilia which I have been putting off for 8 months.

On Friday I rode from Huntsville to Marietta. It was chilly and I was wearing my thick winter gloves so I didn't bother to get any pics. In my never ending quest for twisty roads I modified my route a little. I started out normally going south on 231 out of Huntsville. In Boaz, I took a left on Cox Gap Road which looked interesting on my map. Sure enough, I did have some nice curves. At the end I took a left then right on another road which became 211. I followed this towards Gadsden the took another left and ended up on another scenic and curvy road overlooking Gadsden. Then I picked up my usual route to Marietta. Total miles for the day: 185

On Saturday I headed up to Riders Hill in Dahlonega. I did take a few pics along the way.

The Amicalola River.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #237
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I got to Riders Hill they were ready for my scooter and got to work immediately. I watched Ian start to take the bodywork off. This place is really great. From behind the counter you can see the entire service bay. They don't mind if you watch or even ask questions, which they are willing to answer. So I discussed a few things with Marlon, the service manager and then headed next door for a burger. By the time I was done with my burger and with BSing with some of the other customers, my Aprilia was ready to go.

This dealer is primarily a motorcycle dealer but they have been selling a ton of scooters. Two of the scooters in the showroom had been sold and one of the, a scarabeo 200 got prepped right after my scooter was finished. There's four scooters here in this shot, 3 Aprilia's and one Vespa behind the truck.

Overall, getting service done at most dealers can be a pain. This was a very pleasant experience. I have moved many times and had to deal with many dealers in many different states. Based on my experience so far, this is the best dealer I have done business with so far in my 30+ years of riding.
Then I headed North on 60 and stopped in Suches to fill up on ethanol free premium at the Suches Gas station. I did that and discovered I had left my cap back at Riders hill This was the most comfortable cap I have ever owned so I headed back to Riders Hill. It really sucked having to ride those 13 miles of twisty road there and then 13 miles of twisty road back

Then I continued North of 60. There had been plenty of riders down at Riders Hill but it was colder up here in the mountains and I saw very few bikes. I did pass a group of dual sport riders on 60 and as I suspected it turned out to be SloDon, Dirtroadpassion and a couple of other riders.

I followed 60 north to Copperhill, Tn. I stopped and walked around a bit to warm up.

Down town Copperhill:

I have seen many roads that changed names as they crossed boundaries but I didn't realize they did the same with rivers.

Then I followed 68 north to Tellico Plains. For those who haven't ridden this area, both 60 in Ga and 68 in Tn are great roads.

I stopped at Tellicho Motorcycle Outfitters and talked a bit with minimike. He said that I was only the third bike that had stopped in that day. I guess it was just too cold for most riders.
From here I had to make a decision; The Skyway to Robbinsville or stay at lower elevations to Townsend. I was tempted to ride the Skyway but looking back I'm glad I didn't. It was cold enough going to Townsend.

Stopping to talk with minimike ate up a lot of the remaining daylight so I had to hurry if I wanted to catch the sunset on the foothills parkway. Darn the bad luck, this meant I would have to ride fast on some twisty roads

From Tellico Plains I took 360 to 411 to 72 to 129 to the Foothills Parkway.

I did take a few pics:

This was on 360:

The junction of 72 and 129:

Off of 129:

There's a Harley dealer across the road.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #238
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then I headed up the Foothills Parkway. I was already cold but the rise in elevation made it really cold. At this point there was a mountain between me and the sun and I figured I would miss the sunset. After cresting the Parkway and heading back down I eventually got to an overlook facing west.

Just in time to catch the sunset.

Then I headed towards Townsend to find a motel. I was really getting cold, especially my fingers. I had to stop and walk around for a few minutes to get the blood circulating to my hands.

At the bottom of the parkway it was a right on 321 to Townsend. I got a room at Dock's for $35 plus tax.

I got up the next morning and as forecast it was cold.

A pic of the motel.

Docks has cabins as well as motel rooms and is very popular with riders.

Then I decided to take a walk to find some breakfast. I really didn't feel like hopping on the scooter.

I probably walked about a mile. I passed by this:

This was next to the restaurant I ate at.

I forgot the name of the place I ate at but it wasn't anyplace really worth remembering. It was only OK.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #239
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I took my time getting on the road. I waited until the sun melted the frost off of my scooter. It was still cold but a very pretty day.

A view of the Smokies from the Foothills parkway:

A view of the lake along 129:

I believe this is where the rock slide closed 129 for several months:

Then I rode up over Deals Gap. It was pretty weird. I don't remember the last time I rode through here without seeing a single bike.

I stopped at the Deals Gap resort. A couple of Ducati's from Florida were there. I talked to them for a bit and they headed off to ride Deal's Gap and find some gas. The resort was closed but scheduled to open March 1st. I headed up along 28 to Fontana. I was hoping the gas station there would be open so I could top off but it wasn't. Oh well, this section of 28 is a great ride

Then I rode back. I would either need to find some gas or limit the number of trips I did back and forth through Deals Gap.

I stopped at the resort again. There was a guy from Canada there unloading a Harley.

He was on his way from Ontario to Key Largo. His son had told him about Deal's Gap so he made a detour so he could ride it. I took some pics of him with his phone and one more with my camera.

Then another inmate from Tuscaloosa, Al showed up on a super moto. We talked for a while and he told me his ADV name but I didn't write it down soo...................of course I forgot it. At least I got a Pic.

Then more bikes with ADV stickers showed up.

Two of the new Super Teniere's.

Then it was time for a run back through the gap.

Although it was only February, US129 Photos already had a couple of photogs out taking pics.

I went down to the overlook, took a short break, then headed back up. I saw a few bikes going through this time. The temperatures were getting warmer. Another stop at the resort. More bikes showed up as I was there.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #240
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912

Tachedoutoffroad

I know that guy. Be sure to bring extra gas when you ride with him.

Those SMs dont do so well in the mileage department.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote