Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
Projected
Single Track Attack

Oddometer: 228
I hate to sound lame BUT FMF (or Akro, etc.) spends the money on R&D to develop the quality well performing exhausts that they sell. A factory in China does zero R&D, knocks it off, and sells it for less than FMF with most likely less quality too.

I wouldn't trust the same Chinese factory to do R&D if FMF or Akro went out of business. It's probably a good idea to support companies that are actually involved in our sport and actually have a passion for our sport. This not a buy American rant it's more of a support the companies that make the cool shit possible rant.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
I hate to sound lame BUT FMF (or Akro, etc.) spends the money on R&D to develop the quality well performing exhausts that they sell. A factory in China does zero R&D, knocks it off, and sells it for less than FMF with most likely less quality too.

I wouldn't trust the same Chinese factory to do R&D if FMF or Akro went out of business. It's probably a good idea to support companies that are actually involved in our sport and actually have a passion for our sport. This not a buy American rant it's more of a support the companies that make the cool shit possible rant.
Thus the fact that I have a Remus Exhaust
Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #33
Xthredr
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just put em' on...

I bought a pair after reading reviews from a couple other sites. I took the risk just to try something different, the fact that they were $400 didn't hurt. I also like that they are re-packable...

Looking them over after they arrived I have to admit they are made well, weld smooth and even, rivets tight and flush. And both cans have badges on both sides of the pipe. The badges also have an orange fade down through the graphics that looks good now that they are on the bike.

Didn't weigh them, but the non calibrated feel test makes me think that the Lexx cans are about two thirds the weight of the stockers (if not a little less).

They fit great, bolted right on. The only fitting I had to do was to file a very small lip off the flange of the stock header where the mid-pipe fits. Instructions are clear, all included hardware is top notch.

At idle they don't sound much different from stock. After warmup took her out for a short ride and I have to admit they are quieter than I though they'd be. But pleased to find that the cool rasp from 4200 to bout 4800 is still there... The sound is I think best described as two 450 four strokes with descent cans matching RPM.

I am pleased with my purchase.

I'll post some pics this weekend
Xthredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #34
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Akrapovic is a Slovenian manufacturer.

Chinese stuff surpasses American in about all scales and their R&D is just as good. What it comes down to is quality control and manufacturing techniques.

We are talking about a lump of stainless here. I'm not paying two grand for a stainless piece of pipe with a cool logo they use on racebikes. 500 for my mufflers was pretty steep for me. They are British made and have a lifetime warranty.

It's the brand and the logo on the side of your bike you are paying for, unfortunately.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #35
Xanadu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I ran the Lexx's on a couple quads. They are pretty standard pipes across the board. The same pipe bolts up to both a TRX450 quad and KTM450EXC but with different attachment pipes and hangers. The hangers are no different than my Akro's basically a rubber lined strap of metal. The Lexx's are well built, sound good and held up well. A good performance gain over the stock hunk of steel on a quad. Not sure how much for the 9x0's. So I am positive these are all the same can with custom connection pipes. I did not have to rejet but when I did I saw improvement.

I bought my 950 used and it came with Akro's. They are very nice pipes. I got the stock anchors in a box with my bike. I can't ever imagine putting them back on. Compared to stock the Lexx's are magic! If you can't afford the Wings, Akro's or FMF's then why not the Lexx's? One thing about Rocky Mountain is they have superb customer service, especially on their house brands. For less than the price of one Akro you get the benefit you really need which is heat control. They look and sound nice. If my bike came with the stockers I would be buying the Lexx's. For the money you save you buy alot of other farkles.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Projected
Single Track Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post
Akrapovic is a Slovenian manufacturer.

Chinese stuff surpasses American in about all scales and their R&D is just as good. What it comes down to is quality control and manufacturing techniques.

We are talking about a lump of stainless here. I'm not paying two grand for a stainless piece of pipe with a cool logo they use on racebikes. 500 for my mufflers was pretty steep for me. They are British made and have a lifetime warranty.

It's the brand and the logo on the side of your bike you are paying for, unfortunately.
And your point? I am well aware of where Akropovic is based. Did you really read my post? I have a difficult time believing that you did, here it is again:

So Chinese pipe R&D is just as good as FMF or Akro? I highly doubt that the manufacturer that produces Lexx pipes for RMMC is doing dyno runs. They are knocking off existing product plan and simple. There is no R&D, but there surely is this: Purchase a quality product that company XYZ spent time and money performing R&D to bring to market and...... copy it. Or look at a picture in a magazine and make a product that resembles the picture.

Since you are such a believer in Chinese R&D I hope all your bikes came from Pep Boys (as well as your future bikes), I mean they look like KTM's, CRF's, and YZ's so they must be just as good right? Until the fork snaps off and there is no one to sue to repair your face.

Who sells a $2000 exhaust for the 950/990?

FYI: I just purchased a Wings exhaust which is made in Slovenia and they are AMAZING.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #37
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Thus the fact that I have a Remus Exhaust
Who has the best Remus pricing? I am looking for a quality option just not Aks.
I was thinking HMF but noone seems to have doen much with them here.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
Projected
Single Track Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
Who has the best Remus pricing? I am looking for a quality option just not Aks.
I was thinking HMF but noone seems to have doen much with them here.
I know you're asking about Remus, but the quality of Wings is awesome. I am so impressed with the build quality, the sound, and the appearance. They come with two inserts (quiet and medium) as well as spark arrestors for both size inserts. I have no affiliation with Wings other than being a very happy customer.

Wings Site
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #39
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by projected View Post
i know you're asking about remus, but the quality of wings is awesome. I am so impressed with the build quality, the sound, and the appearance. They come with two inserts (quiet and medium) as well as spark arrestors for both size inserts. I have no affiliation with wings other than being a very happy customer.

wings site
+1

(see if this works)
The kid on my SE with WINGS inserts out.
http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogall...n-the-950.html

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/

JOKER650 screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 07:49 PM
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #40
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,821
TELCO: nice priced & great deep sound (with ends removed )
http://www.telco-exhaust.com/home/en/
MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
ok64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Where do you buy your Wings for the Adventure 990?

Is there anybody close to Seattle who has them? I've listened to the YouTube videos but I don't think recorded sound work well with exhausts.
ok64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #42
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Who sells a $2000 exhaust for the 950/990?

FYI: I just purchased a Wings exhaust which is made in Slovenia and they are AMAZING.
I read every post I comment.

Akrapovic makes a 2000 euro system for LC8's.

FYI Wings if considered a knock off Akrapovic.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #43
godzuki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
the most exspensive akro's ive seen are a grand, and those were on ebay. the wings do not seem to be knock offs but a different design. if anything you could go back to the oval design and say akro knocked off the yoshi rs3 lol its all relative each company makes thier own little changes here and there. i myself have stock ones....................but then again i just bought it and those stockers are getting removed. ive found a nice used set of akro's for 600, if those sell before i get them, then ill end up getting wings.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #44
alexisan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Hi,had them on. The look good, are solid manufactured and sound excellent.
Unfortunately I will have to sell my 990 and the pipes with it. If somebody is interested PM me. Alex
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #45
Projected
Single Track Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post
I read every post I comment.

Akrapovic makes a 2000 euro system for LC8's.

FYI Wings if considered a knock off Akrapovic.
Let me get this straigt. Wings is a knockoff now? Please

Wings has 2 unique designs for the 950/990 and neither is even close to a knockoff of Akros. They are commonly compared to Akros because the quality is so great and Akros have great quality. The comparison to Akros is a compliment to Wings.

Your Remus exhaust is one of the most basic designs on the market, if anything it could be considered a knockoff of every other basic design out there. I can't imagine a knockoff of anything would bother you being such a huge fan of R&D-less Chinese products.

I can only hope that you continue to enlighten us with your insightful posts. YOU are a real asset to advrider