User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
ternus OP
El Gran Camino

Oddometer: 79
El Gran Camino: Boston to Argentina, No Holds Barred

After nearly 2 years of dreaming, thinking, planning, and preparing, it's finally here. Welcome to our chronicle of our six-month overland motorcycle expedition: Boston to Argentina.

I was inspired by The Long Way Round, The Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, stories I read on other people's blogs, but most of all the trip reports that I read here. I was determined to make an adventure like that happen, no matter what it took.

So here we are — about to leave Boston. My choice of steed is a KTM 1190 Adventure R. If you're curious, you can read all about how I prepped the bike on the blog.

My friend Greg will be accompanying me on the trip on his KLR 650. Hopefully this bike combo should allow us to take on any terrain two continents have to throw at us.

Tomorrow we head out of Boston, taking the back roads to Stamford, Connecticut. Our plan is to make our way south, approximately following the Appalachian Mountains, to New Orleans and thence across Texas.

The title of the trip is El Gran Camino: "The Great Road” in Spanish. Both Greg and I have made an effort to learn as much Spanish as possible before departing. We'll see how much we actually managed to retain once we hit the border.

Being the twentysomethings that we are, this trip comes with blog, Facebook, Google+, and Twitter feeds. You can follow us on the social medium of your choice.

http://elgrancamino.net is the main site for our expedition. The ride report here will largely mirror what were posting over there, but since you guys are special, you may see some extra stuff showing up here

Hope to see you on the road!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 121
Good luck on the trip. I frequent another forum www.katriders.com and there was a guy who did a similar trip on a suzuki katana. He was fluent in Spanish and ended up marrying a young lady in central america if I remember correctly. I don't know if you feel like reading all 53 pages... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100799
2005 750 Kat Custom bar risers w/SV1000 bars, A'ME Heated Grips, Givi PL533, Givi E36NJ, Chopped shovel, modded windscreen with chopped Lockhart Phillips Euro Speed Screen, CyberPoet's mirror extenders, FP 5 Degree Advancer, Ballistic 12 Cell EVO2 battery, Fumoto F-111
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Subscribed and followed on Twitter. No Instagram?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ternus View Post

after nearly 2 years of dreaming, thinking, planning, and preparing, it's finally here. Welcome to our chronicle of our six-month overland motorcycle expedition: Boston to argentina.

I was inspired by the long way round, the adventure motorcycling handbook, stories i read on other people's blogs, but most of all the trip reports that i read here. I was determined to make an adventure like that happen, no matter what it took.

So here we are — about to leave boston. My choice of steed is a ktm 1190 adventure r. If you're curious, you can read all about how i prepped the bike on the blog.

My friend greg will be accompanying me on the trip on his klr 650. Hopefully this bike combo should allow us to take on any terrain two continents have to throw at us.

Tomorrow we head out of boston, taking the back roads to stamford, connecticut. Our plan is to make our way south, approximately following the appalachian mountains, to new orleans and thence across texas.

the title of the trip is el gran camino: "the great road” in spanish. Both greg and i have made an effort to learn as much spanish as possible before departing. We'll see how much we actually managed to retain once we hit the border.

Being the twentysomethings that we are, this trip comes with blog, facebook, google+, and twitter feeds. You can follow us on the social medium of your choice.

http://elgrancamino.net is the main site for our expedition. The ride report here will largely mirror what were posting over there, but since you guys are special, you may see some extra stuff showing up here

hope to see you on the road!
subscribed....