Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #136
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker View Post
There are several picture authors for this RR. I used the new Panasonic DMC LX5. Frank had a Sony I believe, Duane a Cannon DSLR, Bruce had a Sony too, I think Mike had a Sony and John and Tony I don't remember (they can chime in). The reason I picked the LX5 was because of the Leica lens (the camera is really a re-badged Leica). It's extremely fast (2.8), wide (24mm) and is good for low light. Not high magnification I don't even know what it is (but I don't care). I especially liked the different formats that you can select right on the lens barrel without going into a menu. My fave is 16:9 and the old-school square format.
Ummm... I think the Leica is actually a rebadged Panasonic. ;) I used to own the Leica version for a few years. Great little camera, though sadly time marches on...

Both, however, do have that excellent Leica lens mentioned. When the circumstances align, both units can produce some stunning images. I think the only other difference between the two was the actual software programming. Leica demanded different programming to enable the ability for shooters to use more manual settings than Panasonic typically allowe dontheir version.

No matter, really, the Leica was an awesome camera. I replaced mine with a Canon G12...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #137
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
There are several picture authors for this RR. I used the new Panasonic DMC LX5. Frank had a Sony I believe, Duane a Cannon DSLR, Bruce had a Sony too, I think Mike had a Sony and John and Tony I don't remember (they can chime in). The reason I picked the LX5 was because of the Leica lens (the camera is really a re-badged Leica). It's extremely fast (2.8), wide (24mm) and is good for low light. Not high magnification I don't even know what it is (but I don't care). I especially liked the different formats that you can select right on the lens barrel without going into a menu. My fave is 16:9 and the old-school square format.
Thanks for all the camera info. I should have been more specific, which camera took the pics in Bannock?

The LX5 and G12 or S95 are on my short list.

This RR has me rethinking our Divide Ride next year. We are just planning a partial Divide ride, basically hauling the Urals to Lander WY and riding to North to the canadian border then meandering back to Lander.

Thanks again for all the wonderful pics! I cant wait for more
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #138
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Ummm... I think the Leica is actually a rebadged Panasonic. ;)
Quote:
...(the camera is really a re-badged Leica).
Well, with both "models" the lens is made by Leica, and the body and electronics are made by Panasonic. They've done this for all the LX models, and the Leica branded version is always about $100 more.

Great cameras to use, but the reason these photos are great is that the landscape is incredible, the light is great and the composition is well done! The camera is secondary.

Ahem ,anyway, off my soap-box...

Is it still possible (read: legal) to do rough camping along most of the trail, or is it private land these days? Or is the trail a long, narrow National Park?
Lovin' the report, keep it coming!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 09:10 AM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #139
cmreimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Nice RR! Any chance of getting the GPS track for this ride?

'09 950 SE
'12 500 EXC
'13 690 Enduro
cmreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #140
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Thanks for all the camera info. I should have been more specific, which camera took the pics in Bannock?
They were probably mine, using the LX5. Frank get back here so we don't hijack your thread.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #141
rednax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
those pics...speachless
rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #142
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Calling Cap'n Frank, Calling Cap'n Frank

Docking Pilot - get back here and finish this dang Ride Report. Your adoring fans are waiting!
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #143
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Camping

It should be possible to find a suitable spot to camp almost anywhere along the route. Not saying you just want to pull off anywhere and camp, but with a bit of mid-day planning you should be able to selet a spot to camp for the night.

Frank hasn't got to the the REALLY REALLY REALLY good parts yet. So far it's been the REALLY REALLY good stuff. There is one camping spot that should not be missed. In fact it should be on every ADVRider's must do list for places to camp. Stay tuned.

The only spot I can think of that might be a challenge would be the Tetons area, depending on the time of year. We did not camp in the Tetons region, but it is a spot where you would likely want to camp. If you are there in peak season you'd probably need to reserve a camp site, and then you'd be in a park with lots of other folks. If you're ok with that, then no problem. As for us we like to be in remote camp spots all by ourselves. We have been known to find a secret hidey hole where it may not be exactly legal to camp, but we are sufficiently hidden that it would be near impossible to find - unless you were looking for us.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #144
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
When I come back we setup camp in the best place I ever setup a tent, Redcorn feeds us with fresh trout
and the moon howls................
It's been 3 days.....

I'm usually a patient guy.....

But COME ON DockingPilot..... give us an UPDATE!!!!!!
Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #145
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
I'm sure Frank is having fun sorting through the 3,000 pics we collectively shot! Here are a few from my 5mp Canon S2IS
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #146
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
+1 on getting the gps route for this loop!!!
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #147
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,163
Amazing!

Wow, guys. This trip is amazing. I've always been interested in the "Go West young man!" era and this trip really shows the terrain and the beauty but hardship as well.

I used to read about the Pony Express years ago. Can't wait to hear more about it. I always wanted to ride part of the route or as close to the route as possible.

Thanks for the RR. Can't wait for more!

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #148
ghte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
All I can say is that I am just loving this ride report. What a fantastic trip what brilliant and varied country side. Can't wait for the next installment. bring it on
ghte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #149
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

All,

I know Frank is traveling this weekend so I'm going to take the liberty of posting a few pics of the trip from my collection. As John said, collectively there are over 3000 pics of this ride from seven different guys. I'm going to go backward to Bannack because I don't want to get ahead of Frank's RR and just provide some filler-pix while he is doing his thing. I loved Bannack because there was so much cool stuff there and it was real, not some Hollywood stage or prop. I think we could have spent all day there, there were so many photo ops. Frank, we need ya pal....hope you have your laptop.

The staircase at the Meade Hotel...

You have to wonder how many pies and loaves of bread came out of this oven..

The saloon.....smell the beer?

One of my personal faves.

Frank get your ass back here.

Literally.......3-holer outhouse at Bannack, a little too cozy for me (pass the Sears catalog please).

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #150
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

All,

P.S. If it wasn't for Tony and Frank, this New Englander never would have known Bannack even existed and for them, I am grateful.